back to article London cops charge ATM malware hacker

London Police have continued to bag and tag criminals who installed malware in ATMs across the city, with the extradition of a Romanian man to the UK last week. Emanual Leahu was charged with conspiracy to defraud as part of a gang that stole some £1.5 million from ATMs across London in 2014. Gang members Grigore Paladi and …

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Proven?

Unless I am missing something in the story, the chap who has just been extradited and charged in the UK may yet be found not guilty if tried - unless the judge or jury assumes that he did it because they read about it in The Register.

Granted, extradition may have already required a bit of evidence.

1. Mark 85

Re: Proven?

And here I've been led to believe that only the US extradited crims from other countries. I'm quite pleased to hear this.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

British criminals for British crime.

After Brexit, I look forward more Brits featuring in our Top of Most Wanted.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't quite follow this one

If they were able to smash their way into ATMs, shouldn't they just be able to grab the cash or trigger whatever empties the safe more directly? Seems a roundabout way of doing things..

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Re: Can't quite follow this one

I'm not really that aufait with ATM security, in fact I don't know anything beyond what I've read on various tech news sites (including El Reg), but I would have thought that the hardware would be designed to destroy or mark the money in some way if triggered incorrectly or tampered with.

4. OliP

i find it pretty sickening that as soon as the crime is against a bank or financial authority the police jump into multi-nation cooperation mode.

who remembers the kid who was bullied into comitting suicide and the met essentially shrugged its shoulders and said "foreigners are bad"

5. Aodhhan

ATM Machines

The money in the ATM machine is pretty well protected. It's not easy to access, especially with newer systems.

Likely these ATMs are the smaller, thinner and older type. Newer systems will shut down if tampered with, and send an alarm to either a private company or the bank itself. Newer systems have multiple sensors now, so if the machine is even moved or rocked a bit it will alarm. If a panel is opened inside and a few other goodies. Security software to monitor MD5 hash changes on library and executable files and some other standard file system checks.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Romanians...

My mind is blown. I thought they were the people that read tea leaves not actually become them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Romanians...

The 1800's just called. They want their stereotype back...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like