back to article What does Amazon have in common with Uber and Lyft? Road rage

Amazon is the latest company to be sued by workers who say they are unfairly being excluded from employee benefits. A class action complaint [PDF] by delivery drivers alleges that Amazon illegally classifies them as contracted workers rather than as employees. In the process, they accuse Amazon of violating minimum wage rules …

1. nilfs2
    Meh

Don't like the check? Don't work for them

As contractors, they can decide not to work for Amazon if they are not ok with the terms of the deal; just like your typical plumber, mechanic, gardener...

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Don't like the check? Don't work for them

They're claiming that their conditions are such that they are not contractors, but are treated as employees.

For example, if you can't work for anyone else, turn down individual jobs, or send in someone else to do the work, you're probably an employee.

2. sabroni Silver badge
      Mushroom

Piss off. Amazon make more than enough money to pay them and treat them like the employees they are.

No wonder the only people who can afford to work at these jobs come from other countries with a lower standard of living. Want to do business in our country? Pay a wage that people can live on. If your business plan can't handle that it's a shit business plan.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

and the views such as our are exactly the "challenge" for Amazon and the likes. Fortunately, a glimmer of home to keep or raise the bottom margin for those hard-working enterprises: automated warehouses and automatic vans. I bet they prey to the God of Automation for the Day One...

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Any time I'm presented with a contract that says anything about not working for a competitor or whatever I get it removed or don't sign - they have no right to tell me what to do.

Information gained at that contract is a different kettle of fish though - it would be very unprofessional and very dodgy to use information from a previous contract (that's specific to that company) with another firm - especially if they are competitors.

In fact, I was taken on once and was specifically asked about my previous contract company plans in a particular space - I told them that if I were to do that, what would stop me from doing the same to them later? They stopped asking me at that point.

3. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Slightly more complicated.

Your plumber, mechanic and gardener do not have one of their customers slapping them with a contract with an "interesting" non-compete clause which is the exact problem in the case of Lyft, Uber and Amazon in USA.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Amazon uk does exactly the same

Title says it all. You get all the disadvantages of being an employee and none of the benefits... of being an employee or a contractor! Been there, had the briefing, declined the offer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Amazon uk does exactly the same

p.s. A.C. because there is a clause in the briefing pack that says you shall not disclose anything in the briefing pack....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like