back to article Yahoo! tries!, fails! to! shoot! down! email! backdoor! claim!

Almost 24 hours after refusing to deny allegations that it allowed US intelligence free rein on its email systems, Yahoo! has issued a carefully worded non-denial. "The article is misleading," the statement reads, referring to yesterday's Reuters report. "We narrowly interpret every government request for user data to minimize …

1. chivo243 Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Now the flush

I always wondered why Yahoo! circled the drain so long without tasting the deep six... Now we know?

Where's the tinfoil had icon?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a system that would allow keyword searches of Yahoo! users' incoming mails – does not exist

1. on their system.

2. although it did.

1. Swarthy
      Black Helicopters

Re: a system that would allow keyword searches of Yahoo! users' incoming mails – does not exist

It does not exist on their system, and never did. It was located outside of their data center, they only opened up a direct port to their database so that said system could access them. If said find-and-report application had been on their systems, or even in their data center, it would have been vastly more secure, and would not have allowed access to any passing hacker.

1. the spectacularly refined chap

Re: a system that would allow keyword searches of Yahoo! users' incoming mails – does not exist

It was located outside of their data center, they only opened up a direct port to their database so that said system could access them.

That was my immediate thought as well, albeit I was thinking of piping it through an NSA system rather than allowing direct access, without referring back it seemed to fit was was described better. I was surprised Thomson didn't pick it up given the scrutiny to the rest of the wording.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Stamos may be sworn to silence

By separation or employment agreements with Yahoo!, or various gag order aspects associated with federal requests for info.

1. intlabs

Re: Stamos may be sworn to silence

Of course he is, and not fancying a permanent holiday in Russia or a Federal institution he's doing the smart thing and saying nought.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stamos may be sworn to silence

And Fear - a powerful motivator.

4. seanj

The statement would be far more believable...

... had their email service not been up and down today undergoing 'maintenance'...

I'm sure the two things are entirely unrelated, however, and no frantic removal of all trace of this from their systems took place at all. No sir. Just some regular ol' unscheduled maintenance...

5. g33k3ss
    Black Helicopters

Specific authority

"We don't do that. And no court would grant us the authority to do that. We have to make a specific cast. And what the court grants is specific authority for a specific period of time for a specific purpose."

Specific time = As long as we want

Specific purpose = To see if anyone is saying anything "bad"

Sidenote: I just checked the text on the icon I used, and I find it appropriate as I live in Montana.

6. captain_solo

the "maintenance" is probably largely due to the huge number of customers who wanted to close their accounts after the password hack they didn't tell anyone about for a year, but didn't get motivated to get the messy work of changing their email on tons of web/service logins until yesterday when they immediately started mass exporting of their mail so they can close the accounts.

A brief spasm of operational activity requiring some elastic capacity expansion followed by the sucking sound of lost ad revenue flying out the back door.

7. fedoraman
    Black Helicopters

How come they can even talk about this?

How come they can even talk about this - I thought that you weren't even allowed to say that you'd been issued with a warrant. Or is that just the UK?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How come they can even talk about this?

Unless a gag order was issued in addition to a warrant then they could, though given how pointless it would be if it became widely known it seems like they would have at least tried to get one.

8. captain_solo

'Rogers set up getting blanket access to all emails as a straw man, then proceeded to work on that premise. And doing individual keyword searches in the manner described in the article could be construed as a "specific cast." '

Orwellian doublespeak.

Having Yahoo scan, sort, and filter every customers email and only send .gov the ones that have this particular selector is not any different from the government having full access to the messages and scanning them and sorting them by selector. NSA previously argued that they were not "reading everyone's mail" because only their automated systems were scanning everyone's email and they were only reading the "specific" ones it flagged. Their credibility and the credibility of any tech company that doesn't publicly and immediately refuse such obvious violations of the constitution (no matter what obscure 18th century law the feds abuse in their request) are not worth the paper my emails are not printed on.

9. BT Customer
    FAIL

BT customers locked into BTYahoo email service

Just to make matters worse for long suffering BT customers, still stuck on BTYahoo email, BT are currently making it impossible for us to delete BTYahoo email accounts that we don't want. The online delete facility doesn't work (although it is promised that it will work by end of September - but that deadline has been and gone) - and BTYahoo have also made it impossible for BT customers to configure forwarding of emails to a third party address from their BTYahoo addresses. I understand that many of these problems also affect customers migrated to the new BTMail email provider Critical Path/Openwave. So - Yahoo suffer 500m data breach (not their first), we discover (again) that NSA are scanning our EU originated email data with Yahoo!'s backdoor assistance, and now they won't let us delete our email accounts?

1. Nate Amsden

Re: BT customers locked into BTYahoo email service

But are you really locked in? I mean you can probably just stop using the email service.

I haven't used an ISP-provided email account since 1999, and even then it was pretty light usage.

2. MJI Silver badge

Re: BT customers locked into BTYahoo email service

Still nothing on BBC about this.

Why are the media so disinterested in US "intelligence" spying on UK email users?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do I Have To Pay Extra?

So either party can recover my deleted emails for me?

That's a feature - See, Hillary, that's why you don't set up your own email.

11. Speltier

We Don't Do That

Of course not. We have our friends in the UK do it, and we just supply the data connection. And for you blokes in the UK, of course none of the UK services would collect all that data on UK citizens. The Yanks do it...

12. Bob Rocket

If they are reading all my emails

they could at least delete all the spammy crap before I have to read it, I thought that was what servants were for.

13. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Those emails

They were only "resting" in the NSA account....

Apols to: Arthur Mathews and Graham Linehan

14. MrDamage Silver badge

weasel words

> "The mail scanning described in the article does not exist on our systems."

It could, however, exist on the funky hardcore server the kind folks at the NSA insisted Yahoo house in their data centre.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like