back to article Tokyo man arrested for selling jailbroken iPhones

A 24 year-old Tokyo man has been arrested on suspicion of trademark violation for allegedly selling five jailbroken iPhones, local media report. Daisuke Ikeda of Toyama prefecture allegedly sold the phones for a total of US$1186 (£915, A$1556) between 26 March and 23 May. He is alleged to have sold up to 200 iPhones over the …

1. Youngone Silver badge

Arrested? Wow

I'm pretty sure what that bloke did is not even illegal over here.

My son had a jailbroken iPhone for a while, he bought it in one of those little iPhone repair places in a major shopping mall. They advertised on a big sign out the front "JAILBROKEN IPHONES FOR SALE".

Maybe the Police are busy doing proper Police work where I live.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Arrested? Wow

If you read the article it sounds like his arrest wasn't because he sold jailbroken iPhones, but because he included a cracked version of a game.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If you read the first line of the article, he was arrested for "suspicion of trademark violations". Whether it was Apple's trademark or whoever makes the game isn't stated.

2. d3vy

"If you read the article it sounds like his arrest wasn't because he sold jailbroken iPhones, but because he included a cracked version of a game."

its not even the article he has to read.. its in the sub heading!

2. werdsmith Silver badge

Jailbreaking was once used to get round network lock-in and even IMEI blacklisting. People would buy "unlocked" iPhones on Ebay and then find themselves holding a deaf phone on the next iOS upgrade.

2. kain preacher

japan has way different laws then the UK and US. In Japan it's illegal to rent video games with out permission from the game console owner thanks to Nintendo .

1. Dinky Carter

Some Japanese laws are real head-scratchers.

For example:

It's illegal to ride a motorbike with a pillion passenger on many stretches of motorway.

It's perfectly legal to smoke in a restaurant, but not on the pavement outside.

Dancing is illegal in any establishment after midnight.

3. Tom 64

Fact check?

Toyama Prefecture isn't anywhere near Tokyo.

1. james 68

Re: Fact check?

Hi, I'm James, I'm British from Northern Ireland. However I live in Sakura not far from Tokyo.

I would presume Ikeda-san has a similar story. In that he hails from Toyama but currently resides in Tokyo. Newscasters have been introducing people like that for years, at least those in the UK and Japan have been.

1. Jeffrey Nonken

Re: Fact check?

I'm Jeff from Southeastern Pennsylvania*, but I currently live in Sacramento. Same idea, but I can see how it might be confusing, the way it was phrased.

*It's OK, I'm from just outside Philadelphia.

4. my fingers stuck

i had a dream

isnt it time we consumers got jail broken devices as standard. and not preloaded with crap no one evwd needs or uses

1. d3vy

Re: i had a dream

If you dont want a device thats locked to the apple eco system, dont buy an apple phone.

Get an android phone and root it - Ive had an HTC and a nexus and both manufacturers provide tools to do this for you at the click of a few buttons.

5. Jeffrey Nonken

I'm just not sure this is actually a trademark violation. Seems like Intellectual Property law is being bent to fit behaviour somebody doesn't like, but can't find a relevant law for.

Then again I don't know what trademark law is like in Tokyo. But it just doesn't seem to fit the intent of a trademark.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like