back to article Verizon techie sold people's call logs at $75 a head to private dick

A former Verizon Wireless employee is facing time behind bars after he pled guilty to selling customer records. Daniel E Traeger copped to one charge of unauthorized access to a protected computer, admitting that from September of 2011 to January of 2014 he accessed and sold customer mobile records, including phone location …

1. Herby

Begs a question...

Will they go after the private investigator? What fine will he pay?? Jail??

I have a suspicion he will get LESS than the poor fellow who supplied the records.

Can you hear me now?? Yes, you were at the mall!

2. Alistair
    Joke

Begs another question

If we do not know the "private dick" does this article imply that Traeger is a public dick?

3. David 132 Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Wait, what?

In exchange, Traeger said he received $50 per month in exchange for data on one or two customers per month, and more than $10,000 in total from the glum shoe.

OK, got it, I think - $50 a pop for "one or two customers", so $100 per month max.

At its peak, the partnership was netting Traeger roughly $750 per month and trafficking about 10 to 15 records at a time.

Or, $750 per month. And 10-15 customers. Which one is it?

I is confused.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: Wait, what?

On average 1-2 customers per month, netting $50-100.

There was also the occasional bulk request for 10-15 customers, netting $500-750.

4. ecofeco Silver badge

You get what you pay for

Having worked for Big American Telco, I can tell you that they are outright antagonistic to their employees and foster an environment in which they encourage and support employees to antagonize each other. They also do not pay very well.

I'm surprised there isn't more bad acting by employees.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: You get what you pay for

"I'm surprised there isn't more bad acting by employees." there probably is but if you keep a low enough profile its hard to get caught. It's not apparent how he got caught but my guess some the information he sold got used in a civil case (divorce possibly) which caught someone's attention. They started to ask how the private dick got the information and the dick rolled.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You get what you pay for

As someone who has done investigations work before, I can re-affirm your observation and have even found that many employees of big telcos are happy to give out the information for free, just because they are asked. Often due to how they are treated at work.

The private detective must have been working either with Finance, leading to insider trading or he must have been getting stalky with a customer or two as I do not see how anyone would have even found out this was going on unless there was a big budget for a criminal or SEC investigation.

5. James Loughner
    Coat

Capitalism

Is this not what Capitalism is all about? How can the government stop the goodness of the capital ethic???

1. 404
      Childcatcher

Re: Capitalism

He didn't claim it on his taxes and thus cheated Government.corp out of it's cut.

That is a no-no.

1. Elf

Re: Capitalism

Ah. Most certainly that was it. See, his Employer does it so I was actually thinking <scathing dripping sarcasm> I don't see a problem here. It's *exactly* how the Third Party Docterine is supposed to work and flawlessly it did! Bravo! So why's the chap in trouble again? He showed pluck and verve and the Entrapaneurial Capitalist Spirit, so why should we punish the lad? Let me tell you why; He has a Non Compete Agreement with his initial NDA and how *dare* he use data that his fearless and infinitely More Capitalist Entrapaneur {TelCo's in General but Verizon very much so and they do it for Patriotism} Employer has climbed through flaming broken Regulatory glass from that horrible Government to assemble for profitable reuse. How *dare he*. He should have simply worked hard and made Management like the rest. And instead he fell for the coins instead of the dollars, tis is the roblem with today's youth. Sad.</I'll stop now>

I missed the whole taxes part. Yeah, that'll piss em' off about as much.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like