back to article Oracle's Coach Larry needs Microsoft plays to beat Amazon

SAP. Crack! IBM. Snap! Salesforce. Bang! Workday, I can see you - come over here... In the locker room that is Oracle’s quarterly conference calls with Wall Street, somebody’s ass is always on the receiving end of a sharp thwack from the towel of head coach Larry Ellison. Ellison has zinged his verbal towel off many a noble …

1. CAPS LOCK

Oh Larry, did you learn NOTHING from War Games...

... "the only winning move is not to play". Going toe-to-toe with AWS is a shortcut to a bloody nose.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh Larry, did you learn NOTHING from War Games...

More like a David vs Goliath battle. AWS is 10 year old legacy architecture now. Oracle brand new this past year. AWS using generic white server boxes and networking technology from generic. commodity Taiwan ODM's. Oracle running mostly Engineered Systems with very unique technologies that allow you to run workloads significantly faster and highly secure. And Oracle now has SPARC in Cloud, showing a full 60% to 5x faster/core performance, so even if the virtual CPU core pricing is same as AWS, you'll get 60% to 5x faster performance, reducing costs and time to run workloads dramatically. Before passing judgement, benchmarks the two clouds, compare the pricing, compare the offerings then report back and we'll see what you find. I don't think Oracle will be getting the bloody nose. Why pick a fight if you think you'll lose?

1. richardcox13

Re: Oh Larry, did you learn NOTHING from War Games...

> Why pick a fight if you think you'll lose?

Remember "Unbreakable Linux"?

2. LeoP

Image problem?

One more: Of all vendors out there - would it really be Oracle, whom you would chose to forge a business relation, that per definition is designed as a lock-in?

What about "You clicked on the handy button saying 'Analyze' and invoking 'Enterprise double platinum plus analytics' and after 'discovering' this during one of our complementary audits, you now owe us your firstborns. No twins? Bad luck, because now you owe us a gazillion PLUS your firstborn"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oracle more a lock-in then AWS? AWS worse than the Mainframe!

I'm sorry but you seem to have an image of Oracle from like 20 years ago or more, probably working on Mainframes at the time. What Oracle technology or product locks you in to Oracle? Java? Oracle Linux? Weblogic? Oracle Database? These products do not require any other product from Oracle to run and are supported across almost all cloud vendors! You can easily migrate Oracle Database to Aurora, Redshift, DynamoDB, run on Azure, AWS, even Softlayer.

Does AWS Aurora, Redshift or DynamoDB work on any other cloud besides AWS? NO

Does Aurora, Redshift or DynamoDB easily allow you to migrate to other Database platforms outside of AWS? NO.

What about migrating your Aurora, Redshift or DynamoDB data to another databases? EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to IMPOSSIBLE.

So please tell me, which Oracle product locks-you in to Oracle? And now with subscription based pricing across all Oracle Cloud products & services, how is there lock-in?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oracle more a lock-in then AWS? AWS worse than the Mainframe!

Some people think that Oracle's database higher performance (including better bang per buck) makes it a lock-in because you can't just migrate to any free (as in whatever) half-arsed excuse for a database and expect it to work for your needs as well as Oracle did.

Yes, I'm aware that there were some customers that mistakenly overprovisioned and migrating down would incur costs. It's not like it's not there in the contract.

Yes, I'm aware that some customers have no choice but to stay on Oracle products even though their needs (or their budgets) have changed and find that it's not possible to just ask for an 80% discount because they still need the product, but can no longer afford it.

How exactly is that Oracle's problem I could never fathom.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like