back to article iPod Nano trouser fireballs sweep Japan

The long dry* summer wears on, rendering habitats parched and flammable as tinder. Pockets containing iPods are one such habitat and the annual outbreak of gadgetry-related conflagrations is under way. A particularly severe pocket wildfire epidemic is raging at this moment in Japan, where Reuters reports that roaring infernos …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eddie Edwards
    Coat

Fingered ahead of the probe?

"It seems that certain iPod Nanos sold in Japan from September 2005 to September 2006 have been fingered ahead of the probe."

I've been known to finger ahead of the probe myself but the iPod Nano's port is way to small for either, missus.

2. Lloyd

Can I be first to say

Great balls of Fire?

3. Pete Silver badge

or ...

a small number of electrical appliances in a far-away country get hot - nobody harmed.

4. Tom Paine
    Coat

Here's Paula with the weather

Scorchio!

Mine's the one with the catchphrase cheatsheet in the pocket

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Simple Answer..

dont put your ipod in a cloth bag and jangle it around with metal keys paperclips etc.... shorting the docking port will end in tears.

6. Fluffykins Silver badge

Baked apples

Yummy

7. Dave
    Flame

@Pete

"a small number of electrical appliances"

shurely that should read "a trivial number"

8. Torben Mogensen

Overheat while recharging?

Batteries are notorious for getting hot when you charge them for too long, so considering that no one got burnt it is likely that the offending iPods overheated during or recharging. Given all the various chargers and docking stations you can get for iPods, it is probable that some of these will use too high voltage when recharging and, consequently, overcharge the batteries.

9. Matthew
    Flame

Damn you Lewis Page

The MoD should be buying tested iPod Nano of Death equipment instead of building the UK's own incendariary commercial electronics industry!

<whistles nonchanalantly while strolling in opposite direction>

10. Vincent
    Coat

Apples

They're not cooking apples foo'!

Yeah, that was bad.

Mine's the one with the flaming pockets.

11. Deb Swinney
    Flame

UK Nanos Warning

"* Your dryness may vary. For UK readers, this would be dry in the sense that dry white wine is dry."

What, full of alcohol? That'd explain the sudden flammability, I guess.

12. Elmer Phud
    Happy

@ Lloyd

If it's in a back pocket then the Johnny Cash gambit is brought in to play.

"It burns,burns, burns" etc

13. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

2005 to September 2006?

The chip that is supposed to break the ipod after the warranty expires must have been faulty.

14. Stuart Moore
    Happy

Dry white wine

The Dry White Wine aside is a classic. Nice one.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@Jim

Because your a troll Jim.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@ Aw. come on!

Jim The Boss,

Seems the boys and girls here at El Reg just don't appreciate your brand of humor. Keep trying, you'll eventually win them over... Bwahahahaha

17. Trygve Henriksen

@Torben

I believe that at least one was connected to the PC for recharge/synch when this happened, and most people do use the PC for recharging.

Because it uses the 5V from the USB connector, it has built-in charge circuitry, and will regulate the recharge itself.

(No one in their right mind would build a Li-ion based device to draw power from the USB-port without including protection circuitry.)

My guess is like always in these cases; that the affected units all have Sony's Zippo line of Li-ion batteries...

18. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

So there's no truth

That the iPod Nano them isn't Play with Fire by the Stones?

19. rick buck
    Heart

Should have read as:

Hot Pants are BACK!

'cause I love 'em!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Dry, as in dry white wine?

Or was that dry as in "I need a drink - right now". That would be my guess if your pants had just been on fire.

One has to ask the questions, why would anyone want to keep something small and filled with electricity next to their gonads?

21. alyn
    Coat

Epidemic?

Can you call three occurrances an epidemic?

Mines the jacket with the asbestos lining

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like