back to article Smartphone lost on QANTAS 'began hissing, emitting smoke and making orange glow'

Those in-flight warnings not to try finding your phone when it disappears into a plane seat? Take 'em seriously people: a new investigation into an in-air fire shows that even air crew aren't good finding phones. The newly-revealed incident took place on a 747 operated by Australian airline QANTAS when it was 500 km WNW of …

1. Kernel

Is it just me

or does this only happen with business class seats?

The simple solution might be to ban any form of phone or PED from business class - if you want to have access to such an item during the flight then your cattle class seat awaits, sir.

1. Tim Seventh

Re: Is it just me

I thought the initial point of 'business' class IS to let you continue your work on the plane. whether it is meeting, email or document work. Banning all forms of phone or PED (like laptop) kinda defeats the purpose.

My temporary suggestion is to put more fire extinguishers. Maybe even a bucket of fire extinguisher powder from the ceiling would be a good idea and as a reminder to the passengers that if they didn't take care of their phone, a bucket of powder will be awaiting them.

My ultimate recommendation, however, is to remove/reduce all floor to seat moving/ mechanical parts, with the additional of gap filling protector. If the seat can't move on the floor or it is protected with gap filling protector, then it will just slide off the protector and avoid getting crushed.

Think of it like a modern massage chair, all mechanical parts are well protected. If you try putting a phone in any gap of the chair and start the chair function, the phone will just jump around and slide off but not get crushed.

1. Warm Braw

The point of 'business' class IS to let you continue your work

Of course it is. Now please get to the back of the plane while I get tanked on the complimentary cava in the presence of equals.

2. Lusty

"I thought the initial point of 'business' class IS to let you continue your work on the plane."

Not sure why you'd think that. The reason is so that you don't arrive exhausted and unable to function as you would in standard class. Many business people only get to sleep while on the flight to the meeting.

1. lukewarmdog

That's bad time management on the travellers part. And a rubbish excuse anyway, are you trying to claim nobody has ever fallen asleep on the rest of the plane?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> The simple solution might be to ban any form of phone or PED from business class

Or fit a flexible seat cover that prevents crap from falling into the seat mechanism?

It's like £3K for a business seat to Sydney, I am pretty sure they can afford it. As a bonus it stops them getting taken to court when some idiot ignores the warnings and gets their hand crushed.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: flexible seat cover

+1, Fire extinguishers are great but good luck keeping your data.

3. wolfetone Silver badge

"Is it just me or does this only happen with business class seats?"

I wouldn't know, I can't afford anything above cattle class.

1. Dr_N

"I wouldn't know, I can't afford anything above cattle class."

You don't have to pay to take advantage of business class.

Just use "airmiles" to book or upgrade the ticket.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't know, I can't afford anything above cattle class.

Hah! Luxury! It's overhead lockers for me.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Pah! Luxury! I can only get anywhere by getting wrapped in bubble wrap and shipped in the hold as freight.

1. Darryl

Bubble wrap?? Wow, talk about spoiled.

2. Faceless Man

Eighth class, they actually land the plane.

4. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Not just that. Qantas business seats.

I have not heard of any incidents with other airlines.

5. Adam 1

Meanwhile, one of the cattle class features is how if you drop your PED, the only place it can be is in your neighbour's lap. There's simply not enough room for it to fall in between.

6. CraPo

It's because of the complications of the seats in Business/First with their greater range of motion to 180°. The back tips, the seat tips, there is lumbar and neck support, and it is all powered. There are many more dangerous places to lose the phone plus an unpowered sprung chair in cattle class may well not produce the force to puncture a PED, whereas the mechanics in a powered seat will keep on going. Perhaps they need some electric window type system to kill the power should any resistance be met?

1. tony

"should any resistance be met?"

Would being a fat bastard* count as resistance?

(* actually just a being would do it)

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Dinner and a show - add a song-and-dance routine for the finish and we ought to be on a winner here!

3. DryBones

Criminy, let's try "Keep the damn thing in your bag", please.

4. Gene Cash Silver badge

These sound like seriously mis-designed seats. If they can crush a phone like this, what could they do to your fingers?

Plus, it looks like Qantas owes someone a new phone.

5. Allan George Dyer

They need removable side-panels...

so it's easy to retrieve crushed phones and severed fingers. As a bonus, use a wipe-clean surface - blood stains are notoriously difficult to get out of fabric.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How powerful are those seats?

It looks like it folded up the corner of that phone. As the 'bend' tests show, it is not that easy to do - the amount of pressure required would surely break fingers. Not only shouldn't you go digging around for a lost phone, you shouldn't go digging around for change, keys, or anything else you drop in there if the seat might be moved while your hand is in there...yikes!

1. Graham Hawkins

Re: How powerful are those seats?

Powerful enough to move from reclined to upright with a properly fat 1st class passenger spread out on them....

7. K

Hmmm

Did they ever think of calling an exorcist? Phone looks like it possessed!

8. David Roberts

just immobilise the seat

Before rooting around in it.

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Re: just immobilise the seat

Exactly. Pull a circuit breaker. Problem is, the passengers won't be so trained.

What we have to look forward to is further improvements in battery technology. Even higher energy density. With luck, we can experience even larger conflagrations when the new 50,000 mA-hour cells fit into your next phone in 2026.

Crazy.

1. Allonymous Coward
        Coat

Re: just immobilise the seat

> the new 50,000 mA-hour cells

On the bright side, with that battery you'll be able to get *at least* two hours of talk time. And the operating system manufacturer will get a least a day's worth of tracking-you-around-the-place time.

Mine's the one with the Nokia 5110 and tinfoil hat in the pocket.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New idea for terrorists - "lose" a phone/PDA/etc with big battery in one of those seats, then activate the mechanism to damage the battery and start a fire...

To make sure of a Job Jolly Well Done, use more than three or four big battery devices... a power bank will also do nicely...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another possibility

Crew member 1: "That annoying bastard in seat 3A has lost his phone"

Crew member 2: "There it is"

Crew member 1: "Umm, there it WAS"

All could've been prevented with a lanyard attachment on the phone anyway. You know, like they used to have when phones were a lot cheaper.

1. Bronek Kozicki
      Mushroom

Re: Another possibility

But lanyards look nasty, and I cannot have anything nasty attached to me shiny!

Icon for preferred alternative, at least it will keep you warm (for a short while)

11. Mud5hark

Lithium!

Hope they had the right type of fire extinguisher, putting water on a lithium battery fire and you suddenly have a real problem

1. Known Hero

Re: Lithium!

I've put out a lithium fire with water, it is also recommended now (read somewhere I think it was here ?)

once the battery is on fire, your not going to be doing much to it regardless of what you put on it, the water is for stopping the surroundings from combusting further.

1. MrKrotos

I fly RC planes & helicopters, these batteries are much bigger and far more powerful.

The rule of thumb is if you can submerge it in a bucket of water then do, it will bubble a bit but will cool down and go out.

Not 100% sure what happens if you thrown water over a battery, I have never tried it.

1. Known Hero

Yup this was a cheapo RC helicopter from China that I was charging up for a mate with my lipo balance charger.

Started hissing after full charge then got a 1.5 M fireball on my kitchen table, thing went out the window and then dumped water on it to put the actual fire out. Torched kitchen chair and my leather jacket !

*Valuable lesson learnt luckily I was in the house and I now never leave shit charging when I'm not there any longer!!!! I used to be very complacent .....

2. Eddy Ito

It's not straight lithium metal used for the electrodes in LiIon batteries as it is in disposable lithium batteries. The most common variety uses lithium cobalt oxide which decomposes at high temperature giving off oxygen which reacts splendidly with the electrolyte or other nearby combustibles. As a result the goal is to reduce the temperature as rapidly as possible to stop the oxygen generation and copious amounts of water does the job nicely.

Having said that I assume the fire extinguishers aboard an airplane aren't filled with water if for no other reason than its weight. I assume they had halon or halotron extinguishers.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Tesla's guidance on their car fires states that the fire service should use water as normal to reduce the heat

That could well be your source - it was in a story on here recently.

4. Adam JC

FAA advice is to chuck a malfunctioning Li-Ion battery into a bucket of water...

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/aircarrier_info/media/battery_incident_chart.pdf

(Page 5, second incident down).

5. Crazy Operations Guy

Depends on battery chemistry

The older Lithium batteries would react quite badly to the presence of water, however the newer stuff is made from completely different metals and is quite safe to dunk in water (Well, it won't work afterwards, but its not going to undergo a Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly)

12. CraPo

"The seat was then inadvertently moved"

By whom one wonders....

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: "The seat was then inadvertently moved"

"Oh I'm sorry was that your phone? Such a pity that you had to be so rude about your drink arriving 5 seconds late a little bit earlier, don't you think?"

13. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Pint

Shrimp on the b̶a̶r̶b̶i̶e̶ PED

surely better to have the crew light a fire than to do so yourself

As it was the Australian flag carrier, it reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95OovSKEtfs

Beer...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwLMb1Qxys5Y_LSJQQR07WXMeqfYXCq4X

14. Version 1.0 Silver badge

So the passanger was sent back to Coach for the rest of the flight?

A suitable punishment I think.

15. jamesb2147

A well known threat

For those in the know, that is. I read aviation blogs sometimes. This is not exactly a first... in fact, it actually happens all the time.

The only thing that's ever surprised me about this was when I dropped my Kindle (Li-ion as far as I'm aware) and the guy next to me, a sales rep for Amadeus, suggested I adjust my business class seat to retrieve it. I stared at him for a half second and politely declined.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Calling Mr Jim Phelps !

We've found your phone.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can't believe no one is tried to guess the phone model yet!

18. KingGodin
    Mushroom

PED

Personal Explosive Device?

Portable Explosive Device?

Purchased Explosive Device?

Is it just me?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like