back to article WiMax to cover 1 billion by 2012, says Intel

Craig Barrett banged the drum for WiMAX in the opening keynote of IDF today. But only quietly, and not for very long. In a speech that dwelled on socio-economic issues more than hard technology, Barrett slipped out a couple of predictions for takeup on the to-date unloved mobile data standard. “We should see 50 million people …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Graham Lockley

WIMAX ?

Somebody PLEASE buy some of this kit then it will become old hat and we can quietly ignore Intel when they push some poor sod out to rah-rah it. It's slowly going from ubiquitous to niche right before our eyes.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

"Intel product to be really successful, says Intel"

didn't RTFA though.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

So how many does WiMax currently cover, eg in the UK?

So how's the Intel-funded launch of the Pipex(Wireless)-operated now-renamed Freedom4 WiMax doing? The announcement was in August 2006, the first area to be covered was Milton Keynes (which is one of those areas where WiMax ought to be able to succeed, as both MK's cable and phone networks aren't really broadband-compatible).

As reported in October 2007, still no launch, not even firm prices (and still no obvious prices on the Freedom4 website). Where are they now? Over there in a box, with Intel's discarded Itanium "industry standard 64 bit" marketing fluff, I thunk, even though their coverage map now shows MK, Warwick, and Manchester as places where the service is available (if you're in one of those places try a few postcodes on Freedom4's coverage checker, none worked for me in MK but I may have been unlucky).

Earlier reports:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/21/pipex_miltonkeynes_wimax_wireless/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/05/pipex_wimax_freedom4/

And then, in theory, there's the WiMax (or WiMax-like) network from PCCW or UK Broadband or whatever they're invisibly called this week, despite having bought *all* the regional licences for fixed wireless access broadband a few years ago.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/06/pccw_broadband_netvigator/

4. amanfromMars Silver badge

Constructive Instructions from Space ...... How very Progressive Africa.

"Which simply emphasises the technology’s potential for filling in the gaps in telecoms' networks, not that it is the preferred comms standard for dictatorships, precarious democracies and failed states."

It certainly can be though as its potential is unlimited. It's a Yin Yang thing with Best in Class Content Provision being the Class Leader Defining Natural and National Divisions/Partitions/Strengths.

5. Jack Harrer

Can be...

I've seen some of it in Bolivia (second poorest country in South America). They offer 128kbps which is nothing really to write home about in developed world but there average speeds on ADSL are also like that and it is a ground breaker. Also they offer you unlimited downloads. It works really fine as at that speed they're not clogging their infrastructure. It's also cheaper to put few masts here and there (most of them are there already for mobiles) than dig the holes for cables.

Just my 2p.

6. Eponymous Cowherd
    Thumb Up

I'm on WiMax

When BT got into bed with Phorm I was determined to drop BT Broadband ASAP. I tried and tried to get a MAC from BT, but they kept on coming up with excuses ("the system that generates the MACs is down", usually).

Then this bloke from our local cable company knocked on the door offering their new WiMax service. 2 phone lines, 'free' 01,02 and 03 calls 24/7 and 8MB broadband for £29 a month (and free installation). I was *so* pissed off with BT that I took a risk, signed up and dumped BT entirely.

Know what, its bloody brilliant. I actually get closer to 10MBps download (and 1MBps upload), no slowdown at peak times and no apparent traffic shaping. Two phone lines are really useful and the missus can rabbit 24/7 without running up a huge bill OR blocking incoming calls.

Considering I was previously getting peak speeds of around 4MBps with BT ADSL which slowed to around 250KBps at peak times, I'm *well* pleased.

7. D@v3

RE: I'm on WiMax

care to share your new found ISP?

as I'v been becoming less and less impressed by the QoS the BT 'provide' and am looking for a viable way out

8. tony benton

WiMAX

Where does this leave Freedom4

9. Eponymous Cowherd
    Thumb Up

@D@v3

Its Wight Cable

http://www2.wightcable.com/residential/wimax.aspx

That's "wight" as in "Isle of Wight".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like