back to article Earliest ever recording of computer-generated music is restored

Kiwi boffins have claimed to have restored the earliest known recording of computer-generated music, from 1951. The recording, released today by the Guardian, opens with what the Guardianistas describe as the "staunchly conservative" national anthem, God Save the King. It was made by the BBC at the University of Manchester in …

1. Warm Braw

Buffering...

... has clearly been a problem for longer than I thought.

2. Little Mouse

Look Around You...just Look Around You.

Not "Little Mouse" ???!

Well, I'm not changing my handle to "God Save the King", that's for damned sure...

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Look Around You...just Look Around You.

Just be grateful they didn't have the program open the Boîte Diabolique and use the 19 Forbidden Notes.

3. Dale Loyd

I thought I remembered this audio...

Auntie Beeb reported on it back in 2008: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7458479.stm

4. Mark 85

Looks like one needs the Soundcloud app to hear it. Pity that.

1. Goopy

How do we get rid if the ad co wrong the commen comment entry box? Thanks Mike cast, I am typing blind here.

No co.menter, wrong, as there clearly is a button to ay in browser.

I k is this, becUse the button says plY in browser

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

or 'needs a flash player'. won't go there for obvious reasons. #1 request in comments was "download link".

So I guess my HTML5-capable browser withOUT a flash plugin can't play that ancient audio. who'd-a thunk it?

5. Roger Greenwood

If they have the program . . .

. why didn't they just re-run it with a better speaker?

6. Mnot Paranoid

Plunderphoneys

Cue a million bedroom hipster choons featuring a breakdown followed by “the machine’s obviously not ‘in the mood’” sample.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon