back to article Hubble spies on Europa shooting alien juice from its southern pole

Images from the Hubble Space Telescope of Jupiter's most intriguing moon, Europa, appear to show plumes of water being ejected from the surface into space. The telescope took a series of ten shots of Europa over 15 months in the last two years as it passed in front of Jupiter, using the reflected light from the gas giant to …

1. Pen-y-gors

Picture the scene...

A happy little Europan beastie is swimming around, quietly minding its own business when suddenly...whooosh! Hey I'm an astronaut! Weee!

Hey! What’s this thing suddenly coming towards me very fast? Very very fast. So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like … ow … ound … round … ground! That’s it! That’s a good name – ground!

I wonder if it will be friends with me?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Or rather : "I wonder what it tastes like ?"

Let's face it, we are the most advanced intelligence in our solar system and we can hardly boast of being inquisitive and comprehending. The basic reaction of 99% of Humanity in the face of The Unknown is panic and/or aggression, just like any animal out there.

Actual animals, on the other hand, usually have the intelligence to not hang around when they're out of their depth.

If we do encounter another life form, either we are technologically superior and will be a hell of an effort not to slaughter them all for their Unobtanium, or we are technologically inferior and we had better pray they don't need our Unobtanium. The chances of a draw most are, in my humble opinion, next to nil, so I will not consider that option other than to say : First (Last?) Interstellar War.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

If they are technologically superior, I'm sure they probably packed up and left a long time ago... No intelligent species would ever want to live in the same neighborhood as humanity...

2. MacroRodent
        Alien

The interstellar war would be very short

Movies are one thing, but if an alien species that has mastered interstellar travel but would otherwise not be much more advanced (the usual film scenario, to give humans some changes), I'm afraid it would be always go very badly for us. Never mind having ugly aliens shooting about in flying saucers like in ID4, or in long-legged walking tanks like in War or the Worlds. They would just abduct a few humans, study our biology carefully, then engineer a virus that would wipe us out. A virus that would spread for a few years without symptoms, then suddenly activate when everyone has it. That way they would get the planet intact, and with no risk to themselves.

Maybe that has already started. You know the alien abduction stories...

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: The interstellar war would be very short

Maybe that has already started. You know the alien abduction stories...

No, that is just sex tourism, you know the "pluck'em, fuck'em and chuck'em" brochure from the more dubious shops in Alpha Centauri region. That is why they go for red-necks mostly, no one believes what they say afterwards.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

> then engineer a virus that would wipe us out.

Coupled with some selected Orbital Anvil Delivery targets..

3. Roj Blake Silver badge
          Headmaster

Interplanetary, not interstellar

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Indeed. Apple would give Jeff Goldblum their latest MacBook - clickety, clickety, clickety - done.

3. Mage Silver badge
        Alien

re: I wonder what it tastes like?

That's what Darwin did with many of the creatures he caught to examine, after he killed and dissected them. Some were so nice that the sailors were sent to fetch more.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How did Clarke know ?!

What was known to be special about Europa when Clarke was writing that made him single it out ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How did Clarke know ?!

I'm sure Ancient Aliens is working on an episode that will mention this, and that guy with the crazy hair will say "How did Clarke know Europa was special? How did he figure out geosynchronous orbit?" He must have got this knowledge from an extraterrestrial source". That show doesn't give credit for humans figuring out anything on their own after fire and flint arrowheads :)

2. Crazy Operations Guy

The theory that there may be water on Europa has been around for quite some time. This is just the first bit of proof that there may be water there.

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

> This is just the first bit of proof that there may be water there

No, this is the second bit of proof that there are water volcanoes. The existence of water has been known for a long time.

3. bazza Silver badge

The suspicion that water was there stems from the thermal modelling one can do of a planet or moon.

It is a known distance from Jupiter and likely subject to strong tidal forces (though not as strong as Io, which is closer), so it'll get heated up. It clearly has an icy outer layer due to its brightness (it'd be a lot darker if it was rocky). Ice + the right amount of heat = water. In comparison Io is too hot for the water to have hung around, and Ganymede is too cold for the same process to take place. All of this can be worked out from earth based observations, knowledge of how rocks behave under pressure, spectroscopy / Mk I eyeball to identify the surface material, etc.

The various flybys that have occurred since Clarke wrote 2001 (in the 1960s) have only reinforced that analysis, and now Hubble (the 'scope that keeps on giving, tremendous value for money in the end) has practically confirmed it. The folk using Hubble to look for these jets were no doubt inspired by the accidental and most fortuitous discovery of similar jets on Enceladus.

So, all that remains is for Elon Musk to send a rocket up there with a big, empty tank and bring back a few thousand gallons of what would be the most expensive, and probably the least drinkable, mineral water and sell it in exclusive shops.

Clarke was a pretty clever guy, credited with inventing (well, at least nailing it) the concept of a geostationary comms satellite.

1. MacroRodent

The various flybys that have occurred since Clarke wrote 2001 (in the 1960s)

The speculations about the ocean on Europa do not appear in "2001", but only in the sequel "2010", written in 1982. At that time Voyager images of the Jovian moons were already available. (The "2010" was the first place I read about the ocean).

1. bazza Silver badge

@MacroRodent,

True! Though I'm fairly sure there was scholarly speculation about Europa and water before Voyager went past.

That's bound to be true at some level - Man has been seeing water all over the place since time immemorial (e.g. Mars's "canals", etc).

3. Faux Science Slayer

"Becoming A TOTAL Earth Science Skeptic" at FauxScienceSlayer

We live in a false paradigm reality, bounded by faux science, fake history, filtered news, financed by a fiat currency and directed by demonic warlords. Fission half lives and nuclides byproducts are a limited terrestrial artifact. UNMENTIONED is the Bridgman Effect where all metals undergo fission under 50,000 atmospheres in the presence of Hydrogen, which is one of the nuclides. This explains the Europa HEAT and pressure.

"Earth's Missing Geothermal Flux" at FauxScienceSlayer.... NASA is a propaganda outlet....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Becoming A TOTAL Earth Science Skeptic" at FauxScienceSlayer

Did Jeremy say you could leave the conference?

Go on back inside with the rest of the loonies.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Keep taking your dried frog pills, son. Keep taking them...

3. GrumpenKraut
      Facepalm

> We live in a false paradigm reality, ...

Idiot advertising his loony site again.

4. cray74

UNMENTIONED is the Bridgman Effect where all metals undergo fission under 50,000 atmospheres ... This explains the Europa HEAT and pressure.

Well, if you ignore the fact that P. W. Bridgman's Effect is a non-nuclear electrical effect resulting in absorption or generation of heat because of non-uniform current distribution in anisotropic crystals, sure it could explain Europa's HEAT and pressure.

But then you'd run into the issue that Europa's core pressure doesn't exceed 25,000 - 30,000 atmospheres. Low gravity, low radius, and low density make for relatively modest core pressures compared to places like Earth.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Thumb Up

"But then you'd run into the issue that Europa's core pressure doesn't exceed 25,000 - 30,000 atmospheres."

Faux Science Slayer is standing with his fingers in his ears saying "la la la I can't hear you la la la"

1. You aint sin me, roit

"Faux Science Slayer is standing with his fingers in his ears..."

No. No. No. That's clearly a false paradigm, fake history, filtered news, financed by a fiat currency and directed by demonic warlords!

It's after 4pm, so he'll have had his meds.

He'll be sat in a corner gently rocking back and forth, mumbling "false paradigm reality" as he glimpses his shadow moving on the wall.

4. Filippo Silver badge

"But if life is found, it would put Europa off limits for refueling."

Yeah, right. That worked SO well for the Middle East. Face it, ethical concerns have never been a real obstacle to anything.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have it on good authority

That the now nuclear equipped Europans are demanding independence, the right for self governance and their own currency.

In fact I )(!£U&!$ [NO CARRIER]

6. The First Dave
    Boffin

Definition

So, from the article, can anyone tell me what an "undersea ocean" is?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cosmic benefit spongers

we knew there is cock all on mars years ago and that europa was of interest but I guess you only get your budget approved by people that remember old movies about aliens from mars!

All these probes and things could have been sent to europa 20+ years ago by the space industry.

Maybe they are just reminding us again to score some cash...

8. Fatman
    Joke

Water on Europa

If When humanity ever reaches Europa, one of the most likely first opportunities for exploitation of Europa's water will be by one of the global conglomerates that sell bottled water.

I can picture the 'tag line':

OUR bottled water is TRULY out of this world!

And those with more money than brains will engage in 'conspicuous consumption'.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Europa interests some as a solar system refueling station, where spaceships could top up their tanks with easily accessed hydrogen and oxygen fuel.'

Wouldn't Ceres be a better bet? With Europa you have to go deep into Jupiter's gravity well, expose yourself to horrifying levels of radiation and then crawl out again.

Ceres is really small, made of ice and launch windows come up every 15 months or so.

1. cray74

Wouldn't Ceres be a better bet?

Yep. And if anyone's concerned about Ceres' gravity - it does take several hundred meters per second to escape - its 9-hour rotation and low gravity puts synchronous orbit pretty close to the surface. You could make an orbital elevator from steel cable, never mind Kevlar or carbon fiber.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like