back to article Fax machines' custom Linux allows dial-up hack

Party like it's 1999, phreakers: a bug in Epson multifunction printer firmware creates a vector to networks that don't have their own Internet connection. The exploit requirements are that an attacker can trick the victim into installing malicious firmware, and that the victim is using the device's fax line. The firmware is …

1. Crazy Operations Guy

A Major problem for Japan

Fax Machines are still used quite a lot in Japan. Nearly every household possesses one, even households without any other form of technology.

Makes sense given their technology lust where everyone bought a fax machine to exchange graphical data then didn't see the point of upgrading to e-mail when it became popular. Especially since if everyone has a fax machine, why would you want to purchase a computer, pay for an internet connection, and pay for an email address (Well, they're free now...) when a fax machine just needs a second phone line.

The fact that their economy went right into the crapper in 1989, and never really recovering, certainly didn't help things, though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A Major problem for Japan

@Crazy Operations Guy,

"Fax Machines are still used quite a lot in Japan. Nearly every household possesses one, even households without any other form of technology.

Makes sense given their technology lust where everyone bought a fax machine to exchange graphical data then didn't see the point of upgrading to e-mail when it became popular. Especially since if everyone has a fax machine, why would you want to purchase a computer, pay for an internet connection, and pay for an email address (Well, they're free now...) when a fax machine just needs a second phone line."

You appear to be stereotyping and out of date. I've not seen anyone use a fax in years, and even my aged Japanese mother in law uses email these days, though largely only to receive internet purchase confirmations.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Since 1999? Seeing as it is now 2016, I have to wonder how many of these devices are still in use vs being in landfill..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The researchers tested their exploit on the Epson WF-2540 MFP, but reckon most WorkForce and Stylus devices are likely to be vulnerable. Since these units date back to 1999, “huge amounts” could be vulnerable.

So how many printers from 1999 offer "Windows 8" compatibility? Yes, I recall us getting an Epson Stylus years ago around 1997 or so. I recall it being one of the most modern printers I've used whose documentation included details on the control codes used so you could write your own driver for it.

It's possible they've been using the same firmware update code because "it works" overlooking its security shortcomings. If you bothered to look though, the exploit was discovered in a current model printer.

1. Chairo

So how many printers from 1999 offer "Windows 8" compatibility?

I'd say pretty much all Epson printers. That is one of their really strong points. Of course they never changed their drivers into unsupportable bloatware like some other well known printer producer.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So how many printers from 1999 offer "Windows 8" compatibility?

I'd say pretty much all Epson printers. That is one of their really strong points.

Really? So the documentation that shipped with the printer describes compatibility with an OS that shipped more than a decade later?

I'm not talking about them releasing drivers and documentation after-the-fact. The printer mentioned in the article, and that I linked to, mentions it in their advertising material. Even Microsoft didn't know there'd be a "Windows 8" back in 1999.

Such bullet points in feature listings to me is an indicator of a printer that is relatively modern, not likely to have been consigned to landfill.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

@Stuart - I would agree, as it would be trivial for the researchers to add credibility to their findings by picking up a landfill destined vintage Epson printer and apply their newly created firmware.

I suspect it wouldn't work because of processor and hardware differences, so whilst the source code may be the same, the firmware image blob is likely to be totally different. In fact given how vendors make custom firmware images for individual model ranges, I suspect the WF-2540 MFP firmware image won't install (and work) on current models in another Epson range...

2. Spudley

I've got an Epson laser printer at home which must date back to around that kind of era, and it's still going strong. I've been able to print to it from all the Windows, Linux and Mac versions that we've had in the house since I got it (second hand, more than 12 years ago). It's also been totally reliable and very *very* frugal with toner (seriously I don't remember when I last changed the cartridge).

So no, you're right, it came out in the days of WinXP and the manual never mentions Windows 10, but it works perfectly with it. It's probably the single most reliable and long-lived piece of computer hardware I've ever had. Big thumbs up to Epson from me.

Having said that, I am kinda glad right now that it doesn't have fax capability! ;-)

1. sisk

Windows ships with a fair assortment of Epson printer drivers pre-installed. It's not at all inconceivable that one of them could be for a model that came out in 1999. Whether or not a then-future OS was mentioned in the original documentation is irrelevant to the question of whether or not the printer has consistently worked with every OS to come out since.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Since 1999? Seeing as it is now 2016, I have to wonder how many of these devices are still in use vs being in landfill.."

For a client, I just "upgraded" an office multifunction printer (photocopier sized device) that had only recently been delivered, new. The upgrade? Adding a fax card and new console overlay and getting it plugged into a phone line.

3. Youngone Silver badge

Bad Fax line

I'd love to do what the IT Manager did at my last job.

He sent out an email to all of our customers and suppliers saying that we were sick of paying for fax lines, and so were going to turn them all off.

Exactly one supplier complained.

I know because I was the one sent out to set him up with an email address.

1. Christian Berger

In the rest of the world

you don't need dedicated fax lines as voice lines are of high enough quality to allow for faxes to be sent, even VoIP ones. All you need is a number, but small companies got 3 numbers with their ISDN line and large companies typically have a full block with more than enough numbers.

4. Christian Berger

Again the problem is not that you can install your own firmware...

...but that you can do so remotely without having physical access to the device. A simple menu showing you "do you really want to upgrade the firmware yes/no" would have been enough, or alternatively a key combination you need to press during update to put it into firmware update mode.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Malicious firmware exploit

How is the victim tricked into installing the malicious firmware. In what form is the malicious firmware delivered to the victim. How exactly is the firmware upgraded on the Epson WorkForce printer?

"If this devices are network enabled, an attacker can upload malicious firmware directly or implicitly using CSRF. We were able to craft and install a malicious firmware image implementing a backdoor using the builtin data/fax modem. This backdoor may serve as a bridge head in to a network otherwise not connected to the internet."

So in order for this hack to succeed, you need physical and/or Internet access and then install some malicious firmware from some unknown source.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Malicious firmware exploit

Quite. There are precious few devices that you *can't* install your own firmware on; this is how projects like OpenWrt work. And it sounds like the user has to make an active choice to install the firmware if they are "tricked" into doing it.

So forget fax machines from the 1990's: if this is a vulnerability, then pretty much every home router and access point is affected. Oh, and so is your PC. What, you mean Windows allows me to run programs which are not signed by Microsoft? Vulnerability!!

2. hplasm
      Coat

Re: Malicious firmware exploit

"In what form is the malicious firmware delivered to the victim."

It's a malicious source code listing fax. Available on tape* or Hollerith punch cards...

*punched paper and magnetic, yes.

6. Tony W

Someone you know still uses them

I have read that the NHS is a huge user of fax machines.

1. x 7

Re: Someone you know still uses them

"I have read that the NHS is a huge user of fax machines."

Don't believe everything you read

7. x 7

considering that Epsons have a built-in self-destruct / planned obselesence switch then the chances of many old ones being around is pretty small

8. IPTMan

France are a huge user of fax machines. You can't do diddly out there without first filling out and faxing a heavily photocopied form to your supplier (or bank or friendly tradesman)

9. herman

Lawyers

Only lawyers and real estate agents still use fax machines, so it serves them right...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like