back to article EU's one-time antitrust hammer Steelie Neelie had 'offshore interests'

The EU's former top corporate enforcer sat on a Bahamas-based business without declaring her interest. Neelie Kroes was a director of a firm called Mint Holdings between July 2000 and October 2009 while also serving as commissioner for competition – 2004 – 2010. Kroes also served as Commissioner for the Digital Agenda from …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The former competition commissioner now holds advisory roles for Uber and the Bank of America.

So...Gamekeeper turned Poacher:( :( :( :(

1. Manolo
      Stop

Re: The former competition commissioner now holds advisory roles for Uber and the Bank of America.

Yes, and remember that she proudly declared that after her term she would not take up any job in Big Business? And when she was confronted about this earlier promise by a journalist, she turned very snooty.

And let's talk about the pensions for Eurocrats: she served a ten year term, that earns her a pension of €15.000 a month. I once again congratulate you Brits on leaving the EU.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The former competition commissioner now holds advisory roles for Uber and the Bank of America.

Didn't she say that she wasn't allowed to immediately jump ship to big business but has in fact only done this after serving in another role? Didn't she also point out that her offshore company was never active?

So, while she clearly should have declared the offshore company in practical terms it mad e no difference as the deal it was setup for never went anywhere so the company never did anything and didn't hold large wads of tax avoiding money... as some seem to imply.

2. cyberhusky

All these EU top politicians are liars

I understand more and more why there is this BREXIT.

With all these liars at Brussels …

They just collect millions and are corrupt deep into their hearts.

You only need to check this report:

All Diesel cars (Euro 5 & 6 engines) have systems to bypass measurements.

How corrupt the EU is can be seen how countries who don't produce any cars, but give its "OK" for cars polluting 20 times more than supposed.

https://www.transportenvironment.org/sites/te/files/2016_09_Dieselgate_report_who_what_how_FINAL_0.pdf

Just shut down the EU and reboot!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All these EU top politicians are liars

Well, many of the "financial operations" which are designed to launder money around are architected in London....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

and Luxembourg ;-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You should also remember that the EU has not had its books pass an audit since its inception as a political entity.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"All Diesel cars (Euro 5 & 6 engines) have systems to bypass measurements." and claiming it's all corruption is a bit of a leap isn't it? The report you link to has readings in it which are someone's idea of what "real world" conditions are.

I'm not saying the regulations are correct as they certainly need changing. "Real world" is very difficult to define. I've seen huge differences in the mpg I get and what friends have got in the same car. There are so many variables, such as tyre choice, fuel choice (I did better on Shell than Sainsbury's), driving style, route, what you carry in the car, tyre pressures and much more.

The Euro emissions standards were also agreed by all EU governments so if you allege corruption then it is pretty wide spread. It's also clear that the UK government are no better than any other so don't expect things to get better post Brexit.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I would be surprised if any of those companies has ever been "operational"

Most of them are just "containers" to hide operations behind. But I would ask her why becoming director for years of a non-operational company....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To be fair ...

I don't much like the woman, but the fact she declared (and stepped away from) over 60 other interests does rather support her case for admin error rather than deliberate deceit.

Crying foul at every little thing leads to larger things being lost in the noise.

5. Ralph Online

And Steelie would just like to say "Rot op"..

..with her classic gesture:

http://16315-presscdn-0-27.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/kroes_1401941f.jpg

6. Olius

Good rules

"The code of conduct for European Commissioners forbids individuals working in any other professional activity “whether gainful or not.”

"

So it turns out that (whether broken here or not), the EU has better rules on conflicts of interest than our own UK parliament. Whodouldathunkit?

Anyone else catch Private Eye's "revolving doors special" a few weeks back? Shocking stuff.

1. Olius

Re: Good rules

"whether broken here or not"

I meant to write "whether well policed or not"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like