back to article What says Internet of Things better than a Bluetooth-controlled smart candle?

Someone with far more time and money than sense has developed a “real flame smart candle” that can be controlled over Bluetooth. No, really. The Ludela smart candle is some kind of bastard offspring of an electric vape and a wax candle. Boasting a “real flame”, the ludicrous Ludela candle comes with a smartphone app that …

1. Sir Gaz of Laz
    Joke

"I like the idea of starting fire with my phone"

So only works with the S7 Note then?

2. wolfetone Silver badge

Imagine the designer trying to spin that as a great achievement in his next interview.

"What's your biggest achivement in your career?"

"I designed a bluetooth controlled candle."

"Why?"

*shrugs shoulders* "Because I could".

3. Woza
    Go

Came for the subheading

Stayed for the snark - not disappointed.

4. djack

I can see a point

The automatic extinguisher is a useful safety feature for people who are a little forgetful or have pets (that might knock over a normal candle).

Even though I fit in both groups, I'm still not buying one. I have functioning light bulbs that illuminate the room.

1. Andy Non Silver badge
      Coat

Re: I can see a point

Yes but light bulbs may not work in poverty stricken third world countries without electricity, so this candle would be ideal for them.

1. NotBob
        Trollface

Yes. That way they can't charge their phones to control the candles, but they can sit smugly in the semi-dark knowing that the candle they lit is ridiculously overpriced compared to the "old fashioned" candles the neighbors have.

2. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Yes but light bulbs may not work in poverty stricken third world countries without electricity, so this candle would be ideal for them.

Poverty stricken... this candle would be ideal...

$100 candle doesn't really qualify as "ideal".

Fair point about the light bulbs and lack of electrickery, but I expect they'd pass in favour of a candle that doesn't cost 100 bucks.

5. herman

So now you don't need a Samsung phone to start a fire. You can presumably start it with your Apple, HTC or Mictrosoft^WNokia too.

6. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Sounds good to me

I know I will be at odds with many El Reg commentards but I don't have a problem with this. People like to have remote control of things even if they don't actually need that, like the novelty of being able to control things from their phones. Sure, it's 'just a shiny thing', pointless and ridiculously expensive to others, but if it makes them happy.

This is also just 'remote control' which is some way removed from what I would call IoT. Kids control their Sphero, BB8 and Lego robots from their phones, and this is just a variant on control for grown-ups.

Don't like it, don't buy it. But please grant others the right to decide for themselves.

1. SundogUK Silver badge

Re: Sounds good to me

No one's denying anyone the right to buy one of these things. We're just saying they're fuckwits if they do.

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge
        Pint

Pure gold. Have an upvote. Hell, have a beer as well.

2. Loud Speaker

Targeting fuckwits?

Seriously, that is one huge market - this thing will go great guns!

I must buy shares now!

7. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Meh

Printer ink business model

Only the company will go bust in record time so you won't get any refills and the app will stop working leaving you with shit on a candlestick.

Internet of Things is the gift that keeps on taking.

8. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Stuff the world doesn't need - Episode 3546789: The BlueTooth-Candle.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suppose it would be nice if you had an array of wall mounted candles and wanted to light / unlight them all without dicking about walking to each one.

It would be better if they sold a lightswitch thing you could stick on your wall, and it didn't cost so bloody much - plus you seemingly have to use their refills.

If this thing was £15/go, I could use my own refills and had a wall mounted button to control them, I might actually buy this.

10. MrKrotos

but.....

does the "safety" features work when battery dies?

So after X amount of time when the user is used to said safety features, then relies on said safety features and the batteries die....

11. Lee D Silver badge

To quote Sheldon:

EVERYTHING is better with Bluetooth.

But at the top ten list of useless products, this has to be next to the "programmable flashlight" (so you can do full RGB on your flashlight!).

Up Next:

Bluetooth, wireless, app-controlled, doorstops. You can choose the colour of your doorstop and let hackers onto your wifi, while it stops your door, sometimes, badly.

1. Vector

So...a corollary to rule 34:

If it exists, there's a version with a network connection.

1. Sixtysix
        Go

Rule 34 (IoT)

Strange... my thoughts went there as well ;p

Internet of Trash...

12. Unep Eurobats
    Flame

There must be candle-flame apps

A free app that displays a prettily flickering flame on the screen of the device, with optional match-striking sound effects.

Prop it up on the mantelpiece for instant romantic illumination.

1. DropBear

Re: There must be candle-flame apps

...you know, flickering "candle-light" lightbulbs used to be a solved problem as far back as the eighties, and probably a lot before that...

13. Sureo

How much liability insurance do they have?

For when someone hacks into it, turns it into a blowtorch, burns the place down and perhaps kills a few people?

1. Mark 85

Re: How much liability insurance do they have?

Here I was wondering the same thing... so my neighbor gets one and I fire up the app... do I now own his candle? I can see much mirth and merriment coming.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Penny Blossoms with added Bluetooth

Why? Because everything's better with Bluetooth.

15. 0laf

Father Jack

Father Jack the ultimate eco warrior made candles from the waxy build up in his ears.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Father Jack the ultimate eco warrior made candles from the waxy build up in his ears."

and Sister Munt made candles from the waxy build up in her ......"

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about a bluetooth controlled smart phone that you can control from your smart phone?

1. D@v3

ooooooooo, so close

http://meetthebrick.com/uk/

(not a smartphone, but still, a Bluetooth phone, to connect to your phone, and actually, with a 1+month standby battery and an SD card, maybe it is quite 'smart'...)

1. Roq D. Kasba

Re: ooooooooo, so close

Brilliant - they seem to be changing hands for under £30, and with a battery life of a month they will make decent office phones - too damn inconvenient to leave in your pocket by mistake.

2. Mage Silver badge

bluetooth controlled smart phone that you can control from your smart

watch

Apple did one, except unlike the £30 Chinese smart watches, the Apple one is only a bluetooth remote. You can get a far cheaper than Apple Chinese "smart watch" that controls your phone AND is a standalone phone too!

Search eBay

3. Stoneshop
      Trollface

a bluetooth controlled smartphone you can control from your smartphone?

Yo Dawg, I herd you like bluetooth controlled smartphones so I put a bluetooth controlled smartphone in your bluetooth controlled smartphone so you can control your bluetooth smartphone while you control your bluetooth smartphone from your bluetooth smartphone.

18. Harry the Bastard

maybe i have a suspicious mind, but surely...

...this is just an off the shelf remote-ish ignition solution for a wide range of nutters

position flame emitting orifice ready to ignite stuff that'll burn/explode

retire to safe distance,

whoomp

1. Tikimon
      Devil

Re: maybe i have a suspicious mind, but surely...

It's not just you, I was thinking along the same lines. Insurance fraud will never be the same!

If you just want to leave the area before your pyrotechnic goes off, a folded matchbook and a cigarette will buy you 5-10 minutes. Much cheaper.

19. yawnographer

Romantic evening meal

This is ideal for a romantic evening meal with your partner.

It will complement my Internet controlled gas oven to cook the food and then I get the candle on ready for when we arrive home ..... what could possibly go wrong ?

20. mjflory

Not there yet...

They have a way to go. It can't do email yet.

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: Not there yet...

I want one with a fax machine

21. Pen-y-gors

Plus ca change...

Some years back it was almost impossible to buy anything which didn't have a solar-powered calculator built in. IoT remote control is just the latest variation of pointless things.

22. ecofeco Silver badge

The stupid, it burns!

Literally.

23. Stevie

Bah!

I seriously doubt the design team has "thought of everything" when ity comes to dangerous failure modes of this thing.

Not every blingvice* shown on a James Bond movie is a good or desirable idea, and in movies everything ends well (or not) at the whim of plot, not the Laws of Physics.

* A device that "just is" because it looks cool in operation in the scene it is shown in. E.G. machine guns in the blinkers of your car would likely hit innocent bystanders as you careened around at high speed paying more attention to the targeting reticule than the road and a laser in your watch would likely cut the tendons in the back of your hand before the bars on your prison cell. Let's not even get into the failure modes of a passenger seat that can be fired through a car roof blown off with explosive bolts (with no thought of the damage or injury that would cause). Get a short circiut in the wiring harness of your Nissan and the GPS stops working. Get one in the DB4 and there goes your date for the evening through the sunshine roof. Brings a whole new meaning to "fly-by-night".

24. samkam

One of the most fun articles

Kudos to the writer, really an engaging and informative article with well thought and detailed analysis. If If I may, just want to add one more argument for this device to is such a great no-brainer - a trigger device !

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: One of the most fun articles

Hello Ludela. Glad you enjoyed it.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Evolution of mankind goes backwards!

Only with the invention of controlling fire and cooking meal, our brain developed the way it is and we are inventing great and not so great products (like these BT candles). Without fire we would still live somewhere on the trees.

Learning how to make fire is a great experience for any kid! Though the EU is forbidding fire outside your house. (Another idiotic idea).

Now this candle controlled by a smartphone is more than dumb:

1) by protecting everything around us, people will never learn how to deal with real problems (in this case fire)

2) there is nothing more interesting for a kid to light matches (if their brains aren't spoiled by smartphones yet)

3) playing with hot wax is always a challenge (not only for kids) ;-)

4) this artificial wax odour is probably non natural, so stinks like hell and may generate cancer.

5) this thing works with batteries? This doesn't diminish environment pollution

6) there's nothing more funny blowing out candles

7) who needs such invention?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like