back to article 'Strategic' submarine cable to connect islands where locals just emerged from stone age

India's government has decided to build a submarine cable between the city of Chennai and the Andaman & Nicobar Islands. The where? The Andaman & Nicobar Islands are about 1,300km east of India, way out in the Bay of Bengal. The Islands are home to about 380,000 people, among them the Jarawa people who lived a more-or-less …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Start the countdown...

Start the countdown until 'Jarawa' becomes a category on xHamster.

1. WraithCadmus
      Coat

Re: Start the countdown...

Ootini! Wait, that's probably already on there.

1. SoaG

Re: Start the countdown...

I remember the memes when Star Wars Galaxies (of all possible games to do so) briefly released a patch that overwrote the Windows, rather than the game, boot.ini file.

2. Michael M

From the headline I thought the Isle of Wight was finally going to get BT Infinity.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"US$150m - a decent chunk of India's budget"

According to the ever-correct Wikipedia, India's annual government expenditure is $300bn - so $150m is a 0.05% rounding error

OTOH, it is $226 per capita. For 380,000 people, that means their fair share is only $86m.

Either way, this doesn't look like a huge one-off cost for something which could transform the opportunities and well-being of these people. The 1G satellite link probably costs a fair few dollars as well.

1. Bob H

Re: "US$150m - a decent chunk of India's budget"

I was thinking that myself, the cost of a 1Gbps link is probably well over $2m per year, sure it will take a long time to amortise $2m into $150m but when you consider the military value and the potential improvement in healthcare or just GDP it will pay for itself.

I think the article is rather unfair to the locals, there are probably parts of rural Britain which weren't much better before the 70s, Margate for example.

2. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

$US150m for a nation that is still trying to get clean water and electricity to several thousand villages is more than a rounding error.

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
        WTF?

2018?

Has anyone done the sea level rise calculations for these islands?

update: Wikipedia assures us that there's a mountain available:

"The highest point is located in North Andaman Island (Saddle Peak at 732 m (2,402 ft)"

They may not even *be* there in 2018. Would be a shame to get all the way there, dragging a cable, and find no place to connect it.

2. Lars Silver badge
        Thumb Down

"a nation that is still trying to get clean water". Should one point out that there are towns in the USA with the same problem, probably in the UK too. That "clean water" argument is just mean and stupid. When the topic was computers for African kids that same argument popped up all over the place. Besides I would suggest you try to give up the "Big brother" attitude towards India. Especially now when you are begging for help.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And chump change to any of India's Billionaires (84 according to Forbes).

4. Adam 1

> connect islands where locals just emerged from stone age

If they are after "only just emerging from stone age broadband", they should take a look at our FTTN NBN.

1. david 12 Silver badge

It is extermely unlikely that FTTx would be in anyones mind. India is a poster-child for cheap wireless communication, having skipped the low-tech communications technologies to go straight to the low-capitalization communications technologies.

PS: and 'medical' ??? Grow up.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Out of the stone age

Into the facebook age, managing to avoid intelligent civilisation completely.

6. crayon

"... clean water and electricity ..." and indoor toilets.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like