back to article Apple iPhone 7 launch hysteria? Not in Viking land

The traditional hoopla around the latest iPhone upgrade seemed to go off as planned last week with queues of apparently sane people waiting outside Apple stores around the world. UK queues were well down on recent years, partly due to restrictions which meant only pre-ordered phones were available to collect. Orchestrated …

1. Valeyard

"And the crowd goes mild"

so awkward for everyone involved, amazing :D

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Church ordnance?

Here I was getting all excited, clicked on the link to view "fired the traditional confetti canon", but it was only some kind glitter launcher.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"only pre-ordered phones were available to collect"

Really? I went to a local "Premium Re-seller" and got a 128 GB 7 (with a free 3 year warranty) is less than 5 minutes...

Or was the pre-ordered requirement only at Apple Stores?

1. Slartybardfast

Re: "only pre-ordered phones were available to collect"

Did you bother to read the article

"Orchestrated queues usually only appeared outside Apple stores – you could usually walk straight into an O2 shop and pick up the phone without being photographed or high-fived by over-excited staff."

4. Slartybardfast
    FAIL

I hope they got done for littering.

5. Garry Perez

That is the saddest thing I've seen since I looked in the mirror this morning

6. Khaptain Silver badge

Once maybe

I can imagine the excitement of some people to stand in line and receive their new shiny shiny, the first time that they ever bought a smart phone

What I really can't understand is that some of those poor sods return and do it again and again.

“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”

Georges Carlin

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Once maybe

"What I really can't understand is that some of those poor sods return and do it again and again."

They're the kind of sad losers whose self worth and validation is tied in to owning the latest trendy gadgets. A lot of them probably still live with their parents.

1. Wibble

"They're the kind of sad losers whose self worth and validation is tied in to owning the latest trendy gadgets. A lot of them probably still live with their parents."

Not sure the iPhone is trendy any longer. It is a lot more expensive than the previous version though - maybe because that scarce resource "innovation" is missing, just like the headphone socket. Even shiny black was available on the iPhone 3

2. fidodogbreath

What I really can't understand is that some of those poor sods return and do it again and again.

I was in a store yesterday that had the iPhone 6, 6s, and 7 displayed next to each other. From the front, there was no way to tell them apart.

Clearly, this Sir Jony's clever hat-tip to those great old-skool designs from 2014. It also ties in brilliantly with Macs, which are powered by the retro CPUs and chipsets of years gone by.

7. Fink-Nottle

No crowds ...

did they look behind the arras?

8. nkuk

Its a 3 shop

"A black shirted Apple Genius"

I think its daft for anyone to queue up for mass produced electronics devices on launch day, but to be fair it is not an Apple shop or Apple staff, the sign above the shop in the gif is 3 not Apple.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damn Danes

They are forthwith forever condemned by St. Jobs from heaven, who is now p(h)issing on them.

Danes dont like hissing phones. St.Jobs having a hissy fit. How dare they?

No wonder, they are adjudged the happiest people on the planet.

10. Alistair
    Holmes

Sad comment on the iPhone 7 -> I'm on a second tier provider and they've already offered me one for a free upgrade.

And I'm non contract.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Viborg ?!?!?

Not the epicentre of the known universe I can tell you!

12. jonfr

The next store

At least there where five people waiting in line at the Yousee store* a little down the same shopping street. Other than that, nobody else showed up. Only ~40.000 people live in Viborg.

*Yousee is a cable/mobile company in Denmark.

13. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Maybe they own headphones...

Maybe they've already had it up to here with flaky Lightning charger cords, and would prefer not to double down on the experience. Maybe they like to charge their phone and use headphones at the same time.

Screw Apple. Over the years, I've bought five of them. I can't see ever buying one that lacks a headphone socket. Arrogant wankers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Maybe they own headphones...

But it took soooooo much courage to get rid of headphones !

How dare you challenge their infinite wisdom?

Its a feature, FFS.

2. Roq D. Kasba

Next year they're going to courageously go to a mono 160*160px screen

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Mono 160*160px...

If they make one that runs PalmOS programs then I am in.

Actually I think somebody already made a sort of PalmOS emulator for iPhone, and for Android.

Mainly I want the "FITALY" touch keyboard, which I assume is not converted yet, we would be told.

3. magickmark
      Trollface

"Screw Apple. Over the years, I've bought five of them. I can't see ever buying one that lacks a headphone socket. Arrogant wankers."

But obviously you are not listening to it correctly!!

4. Lotaresco

"Screw Apple. Over the years, I've bought five of them. I can't see ever buying one that lacks a headphone socket."

I can't remember all the tears and the bed wetting that is going on over the absence of a 3.5mm socket on the iPhone happening for the Moto-Z or the many Samsung phones that don't have a 3.5mm socket. What is it with Apple/Android fanboys that they have to have an emotional breakdown over something like this?

14. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

OMG I just realized: Airline rules about wireless functions.

Re. Apple iPhone 7. No headphone socket (except via stupid Lightning adapter).

Apple Fanboi settles down in Seat 13C for his 12-hour flight. Enjoying his newfangled wireless Apple Earbud iThingies. Flight Attendant taps him on shoulder, and reminds him that *all* wireless devices and functions are still banned on this airline.

Says, "Please turn off *all* of your iPhone's wireless functions, including Bluetooth, and including your far too obvious wireless earphones. They're wireless and thus not permitted. Turn them off. Thank you, enjoy the rest of your flight."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like