back to article Target lost, Cruz missile misses: Ted's ICANN crusade is basically over

An effort to disrupt the handover of critical internet technical tasks from the US government to DNS overseer ICANN appears to have petered out. The US Senate is due to take a vote Monday afternoon on a "continuing resolution" to keep the government funded through to the end of the year, taking the issue off the table prior to …

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

In other words

Cruz has cried "wolf!" too many times, and it's cost him.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In other words

Cruz is also hated by almost every other senator.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Lol even W Bush didn't like him and Ted worked on his campaign and in his administration.

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Imagine having to write on your CV: Lost party's presidential nomination to Donald Trump.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

well on the bright side

The one good thing you can say about the Tea Party is their ineptness and aversion to compromise does greatly limit the amount of bad legislation they can pass.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: well on the bright side

Ah, That is on purpose. If one never solves any of the issues one is ranting about, one can use politics to keep at least 2 or perhaps 3 generations of wankers and tosspots gainfully employed.

This Without anyone having to learn a single new thing for their entire career.

The European Left perfected the technique, then everyone was adopting it, and now, unfortunately for everyone, the useless tossers are being lapped by leaner and meaner creatures like AfD and Front National.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Could they both lose somehow?

I don't want Cruz to lose if it means ICANN wins. And conversely...

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: Could they both lose somehow?

@ Mongo

That's kind of what I was thinking, except I live my life by the rule that if Creepy Ted Cruz is against it, then it's probably a good thing.

Also, does anyone else think the US would be worse off if Creepy Ted had won the Republican nomination?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Could they both lose somehow?

Don't know about that. Quite easy to see either Ted or Mr. Trump saying in their best Martin Sheen voice the missiles are flying hallelujah hallelujah (though Trump would say believe you me and its going to be huge instead of the hallelujahs).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

Sooo ....

Three ACs and three standard issue commentards dive in and whitter on about US politics. The phrase "fiddling whilst Rome burned" comes to mind.

I'm amazed that the US govt appears to not take a rather important part of the internet too seriously. That apparent laissez faire attitude will surely come back to bite us all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sooo ....

>That apparent laissez faire attitude will surely come back to bite us all.

Yeah because the GOP is all for government regulation huh? DNS is still less important than other things we leave to corporations like energy or our food, hell even our defense.

2. Yes Me Silver badge

> That apparent laissez faire attitude will surely come back to bite us all.

Why? Can you actually identify any single bad thing that will follow from the pointless contract expiring?

1. Peter2 Silver badge

ICANN gets complete control.

ICANN is an ungovernable mess, who's legal department is of the opinion that ICANN staff can ignore the ICANN bylaws when they feel like it, they don't have to justify themselves and can lie about it when they feel like it with no repercussions.

The only thing leverage *anybody* has/had over ICANN was the threat of shifting the IANA contract elseware. The sane thing to do would be to transfer the IANA contract to some entity that can make threatening noises towards ICANN occasionally about awarding the contract to somebody else to keep ICANN working by their rules.

If IANA is transferred to ICANN then ICANN is forever the top body of the internet on paper, and there is no mechanism to transfer this elseware. The only way to do change this would be to create a second offical "root" and then re run the DNS wars. Does that sound absurd to you? It does to me!

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

You missed the bit about ICANN showing all the signs of a body who's primary function is to ensure that the pork trough is as big and full as possible regardless of anything else.

Now I think we can look forward to "revised" costs for TLDs just about anything they have a role in, and that can only mean one thing as the effects trickle down - higher costs for us to fill up their pork trough.

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

The Bill, and Ted's excellent adventure

Not

Party on dudes.

1. hplasm
      Pint

Re: The Bill, and Ted's excellent adventure

Excellent!

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Cruz also managed to elicit significant press coverage for his plan ..."

As this is probably what it was all about ... win-win?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's no way Cruz was going to get others to support him on this

Trying to explain to their constituents "I had to vote to shut down the government because of something about the internet that I don't understand, can't explain to you, and you wouldn't care about if I could" is not a winner for the republican party. These guys are having enough trouble trying to figure out how to walk the line of not supporting Trump, while not not supporting him to worry about this.

If they could have made it about a hot button issue that fires up the base like abortion, maybe, but no way would they ever shut down the government over ICANN.

8. Gene Cash Silver badge

Cruz also crapping on NASA

Trying to wriggle out of actually *paying* for a space program

http://spacenews.com/senators-introduce-nasa-authorization-bill/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like