back to article Italian scientists use fluorescent box to arouse sexually indifferent men

Chaps of a certain age who find their libido fading could do worse than stare at a glaring light source – though not the sort you might be thinking of. Scientists at the University of Siena have found the sort of lightbox used to treat sufferers of seasonal affective disorder enjoyed a boost in sexual satisfaction compared to …

1. TRT Silver badge

So staring into The Sun...

could provoke an arousal response? Well, once upon a time I might have agreed with you.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well given those SAD light sources are not too expensive and low risk, its not a bad idea to try it.

If nothing else, it helps reading the papers with older eyes...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Infact most SAD lights are a rip off, essentially most of them are just 6000-6500k lights that emit over 1000lm, however most are poor and dont produce more than 800lm.

Best bang for your buck is a 64w CFL 6400k hydroponic bulb if you want a cheap but effective SAD light.

More lumens the better, a 64w CFL should put out north of 4000lm (cost £13)

1. short

I use a 250W CFL as a high desk lamp, it's (ha!) brilliant. Fearsome amounts of light, means my crappy eyes can resolve fine stuff nicely. (Electronics fettling, requires reasonably good sight and fine motor control).

The only downside, this time of year, is that it brings in moths the size of B-52s.

I also mildly enjoy pointing at my 'energy saving' light...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Could it be that an older chap in the right light looks just-about good enough for a girl to release the pheromones to arouse him? That sort of stimulus could perhaps create a mutually positive or negative stimulus between the two. Dammit, I'll have one of those lights!

1. Little Mouse

Even better - set up one of those lights and a couple of mirrors in a little booth to create a concentrated runaway reaction.

Bingo! You've just invented the orgasmatron.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Staring at bright lights? .... it'll make you go blind

1. TRT Silver badge

I wonder what effect staring at an illuminated computer screen all day has?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I wonder what effect staring at an illuminated computer screen all day has?"

According to my optician - anything which emits blue light damages the eyes. That is recognised as part of the spectrum of monitors and SAD lights - not to mention bright sunlight.

New lens coatings not only filter UV but also blue light. For older people especially this is extra protection against the risks of cataracts or retina damage.

5. Roger Varley

"that can lead to its own problems, with older blokes putting themselves at risk of heart problems the more sex they have – particularly if they enjoy it in old age"

There are worse ways to go.

6. imanidiot Silver badge

So is it actually sex drive that is improved?

Or where these gents just suffering from "plain old" seasonal affective disorder (SAD) and was their "drive" just a little low because they were down in general? Those 2 are most certainly interlinked.

1. Preston Munchensonton
      Coat

Re: So is it actually sex drive that is improved?

I think the Italians just proved what no woman wants to hear: please, please, please can we leave the light on?!?

7. Dwarf

Wonder where they got the bulbs from

I wonder how they managed to do this given that Italy is in Europe and in Europe, we are only allowed the 100 Watt 53 Watt 28 Watt, 11 Watt energy saving bulbs these days and nobody can work out how much light that actually is compared to the Watts of last year.

Its like were going back to the medieval days with damp candle in the corner of the room.

1. Stuart Halliday

Re: Wonder where they got the bulbs from

Eh? What planet you from? We use Lumens now!

2. Mark #255

CFLs are actually the ideal light source for this. The old incandescent tungsten bulbs generally give off a yellowish light, whereas CFLs with the right phosphor can be coaxed into a sunlight-equivalent colour temperature.

We have three 30W daylight bulbs in the lounge which are brilliant for banishing those wintry shadows.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Meh

Ideal until they fizzle out in about six months.

You might leap to conclusions about CFL factory location and quality, I couldn't possibly comment.

1. Mark #255

Ideal until they fizzle out in about six months.

You might leap to conclusions about CFL factory location and quality, I couldn't possibly comment.

They're coming up for their fourth or fifth winter, so they're not going too badly.

We also have some 20W daylight bulbs which get used every day, and are now noticeably dim for the first 20 seconds or so. I guess I'll need to change them at some point.

3. imanidiot Silver badge

Dwarf: "I wonder how they managed to do this given that Italy is in Europe and in Europe, we are only allowed the 100 Watt 53 Watt 28 Watt, 11 Watt energy saving bulbs these days and nobody can work out how much light that actually is compared to the Watts of last year.

13,68. But only on a Wednesday in November. And nobody knows which.

4. Stoneshop
      FAIL

I wonder how they managed to do this given that Italy is in Europe and in Europe, we are only allowed the 100 Watt 53 Watt 28 Watt, 11 Watt energy saving bulbs these days

a) you don't want to use bulbs, but rather fluorescents, as the title already indicates, b) there's no limit to the number of lamps fitted in an armature, and c) there are exemptions for bulbs for specific purposes, like heating (not that you want those anyway; see a) )

and nobody can work out how much light that actually is compared to the Watts of last year.

Funny how all the bulbs I bought the last couple of years had both the output in lumens listed, as well as the equivalent incandescent bulb wattage.

8. Stuart Halliday
    Trollface

There will be a couple of products on sale by Wednesday and 50 fakes on Amazon and eBay an hour later!

9. M7S

Would it work if the light were from....

....shark mounted lasers?

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: Would it work if the light were from....

A plan with no drawbacks!

(Ignoring aim-related issues like blindness, bell-end burns and sack-smouldering...)

2. nijam Silver badge

Re: Would it work if the light were from....

> ... shark mounted lasers ...

So the experiment was so effective with sharks that they actually shagged the lights!

PS there's probably a 'shagreen' pun to be found as well.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Invented medical disorders

If you are not interested in sex, then why is that a medical problem? e.g. I am not interested in trains, but I don't see the need to see my doctor about it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Invented medical disorders

You'd just get sent on a training course.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Restless Eye Syndrome - kerching, blinky!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

what transportation do you associate with sex?

1. Crazy Operations Guy

"what transportation do you associate with sex?"

A wheelbarrow

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

" I am not interested in trains"

Maybe you just never seen the right caboose.

11. Darryl

This is all fine and dandy, but when are they going to start finding ways to get the ladies interested as well?

1. Dwarf

@daryl

True - particularly as the ladies like the mood lighting and not the full-on staring at the sun lights.

2. Vic

This is all fine and dandy, but when are they going to start finding ways to get the ladies interested as well?

Alcohol. Getting ugly blokes laid for seven millenia...

Vic.

3. Nattrash
      Devil

And this lady would love to know how many of you gentlemen have quietly changed your Dark theme...

12. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Is this in any way related to the MoD spending £30,000,000 on new laser systems?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/16/mod_confirms_laser_directed_energy_weapon_contract_mbda/

13. Teiwaz
    Coat

Confused by article

fluorescent box to arouse sexually indifferent men

- DAMMIT! Thought it was an article on some new console or kewl overexpensive 'light-up the room' gaming rig...

...women? - what are they? Something about dishes I seem to recall.

1. nijam Silver badge

Re: Confused by article

> ... fluorescent box to arouse sexually indifferent men ...

Persuading women to make their boxes fluoresce is going to be a more difficult problem, I suspect.

14. Pen-y-gors

New career for the older man

6400K CFl bulb on ebay, 300W = 18900 lumen for £35 (I just happened to stumble on the listing)

18900 lumen? Move over Ron Jeremy!

15. Mage Silver badge
    Angel

25 per cent of men over 40 report problems with their sexual desire.

Too much or too little compared with partner?

16. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

The Light Of My Darkness

Paris, "The Light Of My Darkness" is all I need even on a night as dark "as the inside of a coffin on a moonless night".

(Carry On Up The Khyber and Beverly Hills Ninja respectively)

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What?

This works better than staring at boobs?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@AC - Re: What?

It seems those scientists were experimenting with anything except details of female anatomy, not that they wouldn't find any in Italy. Yes, I agree with you it works way much better without adding to your electricity bill.

What a bunch of losers!

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: What?

You'd need at least some light in order to see the boobies...

Anyway, while I certainly would be prepared to run a series of tests myself (for the advancement of science), I'll wait with buying any lamps until the results have been replicated. By a French team.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon