back to article CSC straps another 100 jobs to redundo cannon, lights fuse, walks off

CSC UK execs left sweating over local profit “challenges” have again opted to expunge costs from the business in a time-honoured fashion by strapping human capital to the employment cannons. Not content with running one redundancy programme this summer – the first started in May with the aim of losing 248 jobs – top brass have …

1. Sir Sham Cad

“over-capacity” in the sales force and within the “delivery organisations”

Ooh! Ooh! I know how this one ends! No redundancies in Sales and massive axe carnage in Delivery. Sales is what drives profits after all innit?

Been there, seen that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: “over-capacity” in the sales force and within the “delivery organisations”

As someone on the inside, we do not have over-capacity in delivery!

If anything we have a shortage now, especially with experienced people. Some teams are now having to turn away, or delay starting work, because we often don't have the right people available at the right time, or having to push junior/less experienced people, into doing something that really should be being handled by someone more experienced, which then delays things, or results in rework etc!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As another person on the inside, we clearly do not have over capacity in sales, either.

We are pretty short of opportunities. We need more sales, then we need more delivery. All the management are doing is just asset-stripping the company. If we want to save money we should be trimming the bureaucrats. If we want to make it, we should be investing. We don't do either.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Sounds like they're preparing for sale, making their cost base lower.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Not being prepared for sale but...

CSC aren't being sold but there ARE merging with the Enterprise Services bit of HPE next March.

Reductions in cost base always helps this situation...

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: Not being prepared for sale but...

"CSC aren't being sold"

Yeah right, except that for the past few years CSC has been touted for sale to just about anyone who showed even the slightest interest.

2. JamesSmith1

Re: Not being prepared for sale but...

Merging?

CSC have purchased HP Enterprise Services. That's not a merger - CSC are acquiring HP ES!

2. hplasm
            Go

Sounds like time for all to jump ship!

Remember how Bugs Bunny used to step out of the falling elevator just as it hit the ground? Just like that...

2. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge
    Headmaster

“Our UK&I business is facing continued challenges to meet the required level of operating income got drive the business forward,” said Craig Wilson.

Nope. Dosent make sense . If you swap "got" for "to" you get a usable sentence, but I'm no management speaker - that might be too easy ....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Typo in the article, the original, which I have access to, does have 'to'...

"Our UK&I business is facing continued challenges to meet the required level of Operating Income to drive the business forward. As such we have looked again at actions which can be taken to transform our business and reduce costs to improve our profitability. In doing so, we have identified the following areas which require further attention:"

3. El_Fev

If I worked for them

I would get out as fast as possible! fuck CSC

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If I worked for them

I did get out - about 10 years ago when my job was off-shored.

I was not too sure about it at the time, but looking back on what CSC has done over that time, I think on balance, I am glad to be rid.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If I worked for them

You obviously are not aware that CSC have reserved that role for themselves, you are the fuckee

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If CSC are too big now...

...what happens when they become 10,000 people bigger as a result of the merger with HPE?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If CSC are too big now...

This is just a dry run for the day after the merger.

10K people for the chop.

Happened to me the day after HP took over Compaq.

2. The Godfather
      Pint

A lot lot more of the same ......more headlines for El Reg in future

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

10,000 extra? HPES are bringing 107,000 damned souls to the party.

Ok, so probably after 12 months of "synergies" this will be 10k, but...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It is an 10,000 extra in the UK, to which the article relates - as you say many more worldwide.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why do please *keep* referring to this purchase as a 'merger'?!?

CSC have bought HPES from HP. This isn't a merger, it's a reverse acquisition.

If anything more jobs are likely to disappear on the HPES side than the CSC side once this is completed next year.

A friend who works for HPES shares the despair at all the drones calling this a merger. Likely psychosomatic blights to avoid the thought of redundancy.

1. Lotaresco

Merger

It's a merger just like the merger of Chrysler with Daimler-Benz. I can remember meeting several Chrysler execs who were convinced that they had taken over Mercedes and were going to teach Mercedes how to "do it right". Now Chrysler has 'merged' with Fiat and those who remain are equally convinced that they have taken over Fiat.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It isn't a "reverse acquisition" (that's when a private company takes over a public company), it is a so-called Reverse Morris Trust, for which there has to be a "buyer" but it is really just an accounting term in this case. In no real sense is CSC "buying" HPE ES.

I don't disagree that the bloodletting will likely continue in the fruitless attempt to cut their way to prosperity. A thought to management of both HPE and CSC...instead of cutting, produce products and services that your customers want, at a price they are content to pay and which offers a reasonable profit. Is it really that difficult?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

I've had dealings with CSC...

And, attempting to remain polite, I will just write that I met no-one from that company with any discernible skill whatsoever.

I'm sorry to read about any redundancies, I really am, but judging from who I met, CSC should never have been allowed anywhere near IT.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There won't be 10k people available in HPE, we're all either putting our papers in and taking voluntary or getting compulsary come the end of October.

AC, 'cos I want my payout...

8. Korev Silver badge

Cynical question: Are CSC firing now because the HPE staff have better terms and CSC don't want to "upgrade" the payouts?

Good luck to all those affected by this.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pending implosion

CSC are planning to remove useful people, HPE have been removing useful people for several years, and continue to do so. Next March the two companies will crash together and implode in a mighty puff of what Douglas Adams might have called unsmoke.

Eventually, the gestalt entity will become a black hole...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Didn't take Craig Wilson long to use the only approach he knew at HPE to start on CSC

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is a merger, they are forming a new company afterwards

It is a merger, their own press release says so.

The Enterprise Services side of HPE is massive employing around 100,000 people worldwide.

http://www.csc.com/investor_relations/press_releases/137152-csc_announces_merger_with_enterprise_services_segment_of_hewlett_packard_enterprise_to_create_global_it_services_leader

12. Sir Barry

New stories coming soon

This redundancy malarky has become so common I'm expecting to see news stories with headlines such as:

CSC Capita IBM (delete as appropriate) has not made any redundancies for a week!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like