back to article ICANN latest: Will the internet be owned by Ted Cruz or Vladimir Putin in October?

The battle over the internet's critical IANA contract shows no sign of being resolved – with just two weeks to go until it is due to be handed over to internet oversight organization ICANN. Thursday 15 September would have been the day that the Department of Commerce formally informed ICANN by letter that it intended to extend …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

The mystery to me is that given that there has been so much dissatisfaction with ICANN for so long and that it's essentially just a "clerical function" that the contract hasn't been handed over to some other body years ago.

1. Yes Me Silver badge
      Go

Re: The mystery

"The mystery to me is that given that there has been so much dissatisfaction with ICANN for so long..."

The dissatisfaction comes from certain parties with vested interests and powerful PR and lobbying arms. Plenty of people are well satisfied with how ICANN does its job.

2. Steve Knox

Just a "clerical function"

As I've expressed before, clerical functions are some of the most thankless chores to have.

I think you'll find it hasn't been handed to some other body because nobody else wants it.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Just a "clerical function"

Nobody else wants just a clerical function. However, there are plenty of people (and ICANN are a good example) who would be happy to do the job if they were allowed to add money-making or power-weilding extras.

It is because we want it to remain a clerical function that we should keep it away from the private sector (who want to make money) or certain governments (who want to weild power). The USG is hardly perfect, but it can usually be relied upon to do bugger all when bugger all is exactly what is required.

1. Steve Knox

The USG is hardly perfect, but it can usually be relied upon to do bugger all when bugger all is exactly what is required.

It's the "usually" part of that which scares me. "Usually" by definition includes "sometimes not." The current volume (and volume) of technologically illiterate, theocratically tyrannical, and scientifically ignorant politicians in the US is high enough that I don't feel comfortable leaving this in the hands of my government.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"I think you'll find it hasn't been handed to some other body because nobody else wants it."

Given the shenanigans that have been chronicled in el Reg it seems that the present incumbents definitely want it.

3. tom dial Silver badge

Ignoring the clerical class can be and often is a great mistake. Josef Djugashvili, for example, later and better know as Stalin, arranged his rise to the top of the USSR hierarchy from his position as General Secretary of the Central Committee of Communist Party of the USSR.

2. Yes Me Silver badge
    Meh

Cruz or Putin?

Neither, in any case. The new arrangements mean that the stakeholder communities will evaluate ICANN and be in a position to move the job elsewhere if unsatisfied. And BTW I am confused about how Congress can actually stop the transition in the next two weeks, even if Cruz could get the votes. Unless President Obama either signs an Act of Congress or issues an executive order, the contract will simply lapse automatically. End of story.

1. kierenmccarthy

Re: Cruz or Putin?

I can only assume you haven't actually read the document that outlines how the stakeholders can "move the job elsewhere if unsatisfied". It makes it as close to impossible to happen as you could imagine.

Re: how would it actually happen. Quite simple: Congress would attach a rider to a continuing resolution to keep the government funded and Obama would have to decide between the IANA transition happening or government shutting down. It's not hard to see what he'd choose.

The reason it probably won't happen is that the Republicans don't want to take the risk of shutting down government just before an election. Last time around it cost them politically.

3. GrapeBunch

How about a disinterested NGO that all governments love about equally?

Amnesty International. Then IANA might become IANAAI. Apologies to all in the AI community.

1. Circadian
      Happy

Re: How about a disinterested NGO that all governments love about equally?

Actually I think you are on the right track - since we don't want power-crazy humans to be in charge of this, we *should* assign it to an AI in an independant organisation to handle. So... AIIANAAI.

4. mjflory

Waiting for the Four Seasons

They'll have to wait a little while for that dinner at the Four Seasons. They've left the Seagram Building and won't be in their new Park Avenue site for months. (Poor ICANN.)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds like a typical Finance department to me

Lots of over paid wonks, who admin shuffle numbers around all day, without creating anything of value, but taking lots of expensive jaunts in the process.

I find it amazing that Finance always come out unscathed every time cost has to be removed from the business when they are the most bloated useless bunch of all.

6. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Happy

ICANN build it?

It has always seemed to be that the bulk of the services provided by ICANN should be open-sourced and automated - certainly you'd need a pretty decent (international?) staff to run it but it is essentially just a book-keeping service.

The arguments for and against the US control of ICANN seem to be grounded on the behind the scenes strings pulled by commercial interests.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like