back to article New Skype for Linux Alpha

Microsoft has updated Skype for Linux. The new version 1.7 Alpha is billed as offering three major enhancements, namely: Fixed standard behaviour of unread messages - when opening chat with unread messages, the view will focus on the first unread message. As you scroll, messages will be marked as read. New grid layout of …

1. Barry Rueger

Download link

Download: https://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-computer/

For those who care,

a) It installed easily on my Mint box

b) As far as I can tell it's audio only, not video

c) The actual UI looks like about 1998

d) There was some confusion because I tried to sign in using my email address (which works if you sign as a Microsoft account holder) rather than my Skype ID, which apparently I do not have even though I had set up a brand new Skype log-in mere minutes earlier.

Aside from all of that, if Skype works in your browser why would you bother?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Download link

"Aside from all of that, if Skype works in your browser why would you bother?"

According to Skype : "The Skype web plugin is not supported on Windows RT, Linux and Chromebooks."

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12316/what-is-the-skype-web-plugin-and-how-do-i-install-it

2. Not That Andrew

Many people prefer the UI of Skype for Linux precisely because it lacks all Microsoft's "enhancements", I'm going to avoid the new version until they make it mandatory.

3. Gerhard Mack

"b) As far as I can tell it's audio only, not video"

Since when? Skype for Linux has never had a problem with video chat. It's group chat it fails badly at.

2. /dev/null

I wouldn't have thought...

there would be enough people still using Linux Alpha to make porting Skype worthwhile?

;-)

1. Alistair
      Windows

Re: I wouldn't have thought...

Damn, I remember those things. Screamed along they did (for the time at least).....

<old bugger, reminiscing>

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Freedom fighter

Better help find extra C developers to Tox so it can kill Skype sooner and offer true independence from companies and spyware

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon