back to article Google's diabetes fight

French pharmaceutical firm Sanofi has teamed up with Google's parent company, Alphabet, to fight diabetes with the launch of Onduo. Onduo is reportedly worth around $500mn and will develop electronic devices that will monitor and manage type two diabetes. Sanofi is the latest company to join Verily Life Sciences - formerly …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmmm...

Why exclude us Type 1's? It's not as if we have different blood so we'd need different sorts of monitoring equipment.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmmm...

As someone also with type 1 I am glad the pharma-advertising industry is avoiding my condition for now. I may be misguided but I also think that type 1 is far more sensitive to blood sugar control so needs accurate monitoring, and as the in-vitro monitor market is crowded enough (and the non-invasive market full of junk which still needs in-vitro monitoring to check it) there's not huge piles of cash to be had from it.

Also, as the human race steadily increases its consumption of sugar / palm oil / name-your-waistband-increasing-and-heart-attack-inducing-poison-of-choice, the incidence of type 2 will continue to sky-rocket (estimated 10% of global population by 2040), and as 90% of people with diabetes are type 2, there's a far bigger market for whatever IoT hackable personal data broadcaster these chaps persuade the health service of whatever nation to require the populace to use.

They'll then sell the data.

</cynicism>

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google are involved ... think I'll pass.

3. Herby

If the same was done for polio...

We might have a nice computer controlled iron lung.

Lots of money to treat the symptoms and little to treat the cause.

Life (and the medical people) marches on.

4. David Roberts

Constant monitoring?

I would be surprised if this is blood glucose monitoring given that the NHS doesn't want to pay for test strips for T2s. Perhaps in the USA?

One problem with the bulk {cough} of T2s is that they aren't motivated to address their condition because there is no obvious day to day problem.

Coupled with food addiction in the cases where it is obesity related (roughly 1 in 5 are not) there is often a lot of difficulty in persuading people to change their lifestyle.

Monitoring and controlling sounds like constant glucose monitoring and a pump as used by some T1s.

Money still to be made with an artificial pancreas.

Edit: just skimmed some blurb and it is T2 first then T1. First target seems to be lifestyle and medication management. So presumably apps. Paint me sceptical.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon