back to article Filmmaker Werner Herzog interviews Elon Musk for internet doco

Uncompromising filmmaker Werner Herzog has made a documentary film about the internet. Lo and Behold: Reveries of the Connected World features interviews with PayPal and Tesla co-founder Elon Musk, roboticist Sebastian Thrun, and UCLA professor and co-creator of ARPANET (the precursor to the Internet) Leonard Kleinrock, among …

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

The ultimate Herzog + Musk + Internet film

Elon Musk pulls the entire internet over Mons Olympus. To opera music.

1. Ole Juul

Re: The ultimate Herzog + Musk + Internet film

Is that what it is? The podcast just sits there spinning waiting for an ad here. When is El Reg going to learn how to post videos? The effect does have a certain existential quality though.

1. Disk0
        Windows

Re: The ultimate Herzog + Musk + Internet film

It doesn't bother me one bit that the ad does not load, however it does block the content. Best get rid of that 486 serving up the ad, it obviously can't cope with the latest Flash update. It's in the cupboard under the stairs, just unplug it.

2. Mage Silver badge

Gosh!

I'd an idea that Herzog was a little different, perhaps a little extreme. However I had no idea. If he was a character in a book people would think the author was crazy.

I'm educated. I also need mind bleach.

1. Ashley_Pomeroy

Re: Gosh!

I think he plays a character, to a certain extent - or at least he puts on the "Werner Herzog mask" whenever he is being interviewed. I've always thought it's a very shrewd act designed to win over financing for his projects. He's a bit like John Carpenter or Alex Cox in that respect. You know who he is, even if you haven't seen one of his films.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Gosh!

I think he plays a character…

Don't we all? But Herzog really is as mad as he comes across: wanting to make more than one film with Klaus Kinski is proof of that!

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
          Happy

"wanting to make more than one film with Klaus Kinski is proof of that!"

OK, that was sort of asking for trouble.

Did come across as a tad barking mad emotional for a German.

3. Wade Burchette

Herzog Zwei

First thing I thought of, the old Sega Genesis game I used to play (and have in my attic somewhere).

4. x 7

shame that Klaus Kinski died.............he would have made an excellent Elon Musk in a biopic. Mad enough to want to fly in the rockets himself

5. macjules
    Coat

"Herzog's films often feature heroes with impossible dreams, people with unique talents in obscure fields, or individuals who are in conflict with nature." ~ Wikipedia

I was hoping to read something akin to how Elon Musk managed to singlehandedly haul a Falcon 9 over the Rockies. Failing that: how he managed to catch a returning booster with nothing more than a maritime platform, some string and a good sense of telemetry.

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

After making five films with Klaus Kinski, what else is there?

1. Danny 2

The Simpsons. His entire career was simply an apprenticeship for his greatest role as Walter Hotenhoffer.

Grandpa Simpson - What did you do during the war?

Walter Hotenhoffer - WWII? I wasn't born yet.

Grandpa Simpson - Funny how many Germans say that these days.

2. Snow Hill Island
      Coat

"After making five films with Klaus Kinski, what else is there?"

He was also the funniest joke at the fringe in 2009 when he refused to share.

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge

Werner Hertzog

Crazy name.

Crazy guy.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like