back to article UK nixes Land Registry sale

The UK government has ditched plans to privatise the Land Registry, the organisation that records property ownership in England and Wales. The organisation, which has done its work since 1862, was calculated to be worth between £6.2bn and £7.2bn ($8.2bn to $9.6bn) per year thanks to its enormous and authoritative database and …

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

The goose that lays golden eggs

Only an idiot (or a person with a vested interest) will bring a goose which lays golden eggs to the Sunday market.

The land registry is a guaranteed source of revenue for the crown. While selling it may help to improve the balance sheet (so it does not look like Greece) today, it is a very bad idea going forward.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The goose that lays golden eggs

Politicians are only in power for a short time, what do they care about the future? (beyond a nice retirement package) The corporations are the future, private ownership is not really part of Agenda 21 and a corp' with the records would make "small changes" to ownership and mop up of "lost title" so much easier.

They will try again soon.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"... what do they care about the future?"

A lot, actually. They're always thinking of the future - their own and that nice cushy position on the board of whatever company they've been cosying up to while in power.

2. Richard 81

"Only an idiot (or a person with a vested interest)"

That covers most MPs then.

1. Sgt_Oddball

"Only an idiot (or a person with a vested interest)"

That covers most all MPs then.

FTFY....

(Cynical? Me? Never.......)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

The biggest issue with this idea...

would be the fact it's likely to be the likes of Google that would buy it <shudder>

1. Omgwtfbbqtime
      Facepalm

Re: The biggest issue with this idea...

I'd rather it was Google than Capita/G4S/ATOS/GS/JPM et al

3. gv

Comical

Why not sell off the Houses of Parliament? That must be worth £20bn or so.

The politicians can be moved to Slough, Milton Keynes or Swindon.

1. Zimmer

Re: Comical

..or to Alcatraz...

or, even further , Uranus, where most of their ideas originate..

..and £4 billion to renovate the Houses of Parliament? Yes, sell that to a foreign buyer instead Don't get me started..... too late...

Charge tourists £20 a head as a 'last chance to see ' opportunity before demolition, then see if they can get planning permission for a new Housing Estate on the site..

I'm sure Nicola Sturgeon wouldn't mind at all if the MPs all relocated North of the border and borrowed her buildings (deemed expensive at a few million!) pro tem...or maybe permanently, now there's a thought..

2. PNGuinn
      Childcatcher

Re: Comical - continuing off topic - its friday

I'm in 2 minds about this.

On the one hand there are distinct advantages to moving the whole kit and kaboodle out of London to some nicer and more appropriate.

An old prison might do. (Is the redundant one in NI they used to film the Italian Job still standing?)

Or a suitable facility on an industrial estate - I wonder if Sports Direct or Amazon have any spare distribution whorehouses oops I mean warehouses going spare?

On the other hand - apparently the Victorian old lady's riddled with asbestos, the wiring's lethal and a fire hazard, its near the point about to collapse ...

CARRY ON!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Comical - continuing off topic - its friday

Slight bit of pedantry, but...

The jail in The Italian Job is Kilmainham Jail, just outside Dublin, Republic of Ireland, where several of the main protagonists of the Easter Rising were detained (and in some cases, executed).

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why not sell off the Houses of Parliament? That must be worth £20bn or so.

Good luck getting a mortgage on a property with a £4 (read 10) billion repair bill looming

4. TitterYeNot

"The politicians can be moved to Slough, Milton Keynes or Swindon."

I know your tongue was probably firmly in cheek when you said that, but there is a serious case for moving Parliament permanently to Birmingham, Leeds or Manchester etc. to stop some of the London-centric idiocy that goes on. Oh I know most MPs wouldn't like it, but some encouragement with a pointy stick would sort that.

Of course prospective cities would have to draw lots for the new location, the unfortunate loser with the shortest stick getting all those lovely MPs......

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

plans to privatise the Land Registry

what a shame it was ditched! Think of all this lovely data - hacked...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

privatise the gov

I offer my 10 quid! Anyone to offer 20, I see no offers, ladies & gentlemen, who's willing to offer 20 quid for one and only HM Government, Boris Johnson added as a free bonus, anyone?! Going, going, gone. SOLD - for 10 quid to the first and last bidder!

6. H in The Hague

Sensible

Good news. I'm all in favour of private enterprise, but to me this seems an essential public sector activity.

1. kmac499

Re: Sensible

Too right;; As we discovered when we paid off our mortgage and I asked the bank for the deeds

Me: "When do we get the Deeds"

Bank: "You don't; They've been dematerialised" (their exact term)

Me: "What like in Star Trek"

Bank: "No they've all been digitised and sent to the Land Registry"

Me: "So there is no paper document showing the plot or my ownership"

Bank : "No"

I'm all for digital records, ease of search, conveyancing etc. but it would have been nice to have been told this was happening and have the option to have the original, even if legally useless, paper returned to us. Needless to say I can order a reprint from the LR for a fairly hefty fee £80 or so for a document which I believe was my property anyway..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I'm all for digital records, ease of search, conveyancing etc. but it would have been nice to have been told this was happening"

It was done at least 10 years ago.

2. Paul Stimpson

AH, so this explains why there is a £75 "retrieval" fee for the deeds of my home when I mortgage is finally paid off but the bank will "store them for free" if I wish them to hang onto them for "security."

I really don't like the idea that there are no ownership documents for my largest asset that, should the Land Registry be he victim of some cyber-crime, could be called upon to resolve the matter if my home suddenly and mysteriously belongs to someone from Estonia who spells their name with 0s and xs...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

try this to protect your property - its free

https://propertyalert.landregistry.gov.uk/

when dematerialization happened (a long time ago) my mortgage company sent me my deeds!

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
            Thumb Up

Thanks for the link.

Very useful.

7. Adrian Midgley 1

Dematerialisation was followed by fraud, and then to combat that,

by another identity check system which costs each user £100 if they can find someone to do it.

Not really a big usability jump there.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon