back to article Our plasmas last for 42 years, claims Panasonic

If you’ve always steered clear of plasma TVs because you think their average lifetime isn’t great, then think again. One manufacturer has claimed that its plasma TVs at least will last for over 42 years. Panasonic_plasma That picture won't look so bright in 43 years' time Panasonic has stated that its 2008 line-up of 1080p …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Netwars

Lifetime running costs

All the plasma TV manufacturers hide this well (deliberately?. It's never in the specifications) but if you dig into the manuals where I guess they are legally required to state it, you can find the power consumption of say a 46" plasma (TH-46PZ81B).

So it uses 480 watts x 100,000 hours (excluding the 35 watts it can use while in standby) which comes to an eye watering , 48,000,000 watts or 48,000 kilowatts!

2. Will

43 years?

Why why why.

Who in their right mind is going to get 43 years of use out of it? Sure the actual unit might get 43 years of life in the gas world but do you honestly think the unit is going to be in use for 43 years?

More quality now please. Not in 43 years time.

3. Martin Huizing
    Paris Hilton

Back in Holland

I hope when I am old and Gray, 43 years in the future I might get that ol' retro feeling hooking up this heavy piece of equipment and just watch the white noise as there won't be anything remotely resembling anything that could be hooked up to it!

Paris, cause in 43 years she will have lost all connection too.

4. Bruce Northcott
    Thumb Down

Panasonic Plasma

Just phoned Panasonic re this important statement to establish what their new Guarantee would be.

But what a disappointment STILL ONLY ONE YEAR cannot put their money where their mouth is.

Also note NO WATTAGE OR CURRENT CONSUMPTION FOR Panasonic PLASMA on their web site so here it is 42" 370watt 46" 480watt.

Latest Samsung 46" 220watt WHAT A DIFFERENCE NO WONDER IT IS NOT ON THEIR WEB SITE.

WHEN IS LARGE SCREEN TV'S GOING TO HAVE A ELECTRICAL STAR RATING THEY NOW CONSUME MORE POWER THAN THE AVERAGE WASHING MACHINE!

5. druck Silver badge

The real question

Although it might take 100,000 hours to reach half brightness, the real question is do all colours degrade equally? It only takes one colour degrading by a few percent more than the others to give an unwatchable colour cast, even though the overall brightness is hardly affected.

6. Zmodem

its better then the average 6months

you get back in the day with all tube tv`s. with them on 24/7

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like