back to article Cock-up blamed for MCI customer site outage

Human error is the "official" reason for a two-day outage of a web-based customer account management system used by America's second-largest long-distance phone company. A spokesman for MCI's US parent company Verizon Communications told The Reg that "somebody simply ran the wrong process on the server" that's used by MCI's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jeff
    Coat

MCI?

I didn't realize they were still around. You hardly Ebber hear about them anymore...

Mine's the one with the black and white stripes.

2. Rick Giles
    Linux

@Jeff

That was my thought. I felt like I had either been temporaly displaced to the early '90s or this article had slipped through a worm hole and got dumped on the web by Al Gore.

Although, in the early '90s no one was paying bills online via the web.

-Tux 'casue the early '90s was when I was introduced to Unix and then found Linux. Thank you Linus!

3. Henry Wertz Gold badge

Don't see a contradicition.

I don't see a contradiciton between the CS flacky and IT guy's explanations -- I would suppose someone ran a wrong command doing DB work, which knocked it off for a few days. (For a production database, they should have had backups, or the ability to roll back any database changes, or both.. but *shrug*).

4. Kwac
    Thumb Down

Al Gore

Can we get over the Al Gore/Faux News myth?

He never said it.

For fuck's sake MOVE ON.

5. Rick Giles
    Joke

@Kwac

Trolled

6. Jared Earle
    Coat

mod parent up

-1, Troll

... oh, wait. Wrong site.

+1, Funny.