back to article VMware goes back to its future with multi-cloud abstractions

VMware will apply its core skill – taming ill-defined pools of computing resource – to multiple clouds, in a new effort called Cross-Cloud Architecture. CEO Pat Gelsinger will shortly take to the stage at VMworld 2016 and explain that clouds have re-created the problem that server virtualisation solved so effectively in the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Solving a problem.....

that's already solving itself.

This move is already a couple of years behind the times if you look at where applications are heading. Developers deploying into the cloud are moving away from running their applications on virtual machines they have to manage themselves and are leaning towards native cloud services like Azure Functions or AWS Lambda. While it's still early days, the trend is pretty clear.

I'm not sure why Vmware would be putting effort into a market that is on the way out. It's pretty sad to see how far they have fallen in the past 5 years and the decline looks like it's going to continue if this is the best they can do.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Solving a problem.....

Agreed the issue is solved by new application architectures - it will be many many years before they are in the majority though. In the meantime (5 - 10 years is my guess) anything that gives mobility between clouds and manages security on them will likely go down a storm.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Oh, yeah, because paying 10x-20x more per "transaction" or per running VM than if you ran it yourself is a good plan. And hey, let's also enjoy the lock-in of building everything to an API that a cloud provider can - and will - change on a while, legal terms of service the cloud provider can - and will - change on a whim, and prices that will go up the instant there is a downturn and the vendor needs a stock price boost.

Yeah, that's a fantastic plan. Please let me know who you work for so that I can never, ever buy anything from your company. I don't think you'll be around long enough to bet my business on yours.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You do realise that the services mentioned above allow you to build your own API don't you? You're not being locked into anything. Please try to keep up.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Except the services themselves. The API of those services isn't fixed or static. They can and will change as soon as viable competition offering the same APIs shows up and they see movement away.

It was ever thus.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Cross-Cloud Architecture

Yeah, because I believe without reserve that AWS is going to play nice with Azure.

I do think it needs to happen.

I don't believe that VMware is going to make it happen.

But hey, kudos for trying.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Cross-Cloud Architecture

The only "cross cloud" anything worth a damn was Ravello. And then Oracle bought them.

Now we need another Ravello.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So Cloud Foundation = vSphere + VSAN + NSX.

Is this like when they said Hyper-Converged Software = vSphere + vSAN + vCenter

Renaming combinations of things they already have seems complacent or perhaps just out of ideas.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hyper-vision?

How can a CSP provide a consistent user experience for VMware customers without using VMware products. If they will use VMware products then what is the pricing of that solution to the customers? What is in it for CSPs to use expensive VMware licenses (Especially since they can do it all without VMware). A case in point is NSX. Why would any CSP especially like Azure or Amazon provide a networking and security solution based on NSX (proprietary) technology.

I see it more as a hope and not even a vision. In end it will come out with limited functionality, limited partner support and a very long tailed roadmap

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

I wouldn't be very surprised if the other CSP's are the customers that VMWare are really interested in. Yeah, they will be huge/big enterprise customers, but .... With quite a few playing with CloudStack, and the number of people getting it to "work well" may require the fingers of my "other hand" to count, this could be the embrace phase although you could make a case that preventing defections is the overriding goal.

The hardware is cheaper, the software licensing costs get more expensive to get the hardware "working well" and people are the anchors on your devops albatrosses having a tough time getting off the ground. If they ever do make it, it'll be gorgeous. If ever. At the end of the day, VMWare seems to be offering the substitution of licenses for the people, less of them required for a given chunk of data center capability.

I'd personally come down on the side of people as I can train and retrain them, been doing it almost my whole damn life (four decades+). More expensive to trade up, but doable. Licenses, especially expensive licenses. No. And using some elses staff, hardware, and licenses is probably a bit more expensive. If not a lot.

Still, this is VMWare, a company I've known since they were working on the very first beta, and that was a lot of fun. True. Lots of talent, lots of money, lots of enterprisey business sense except for a couple of bobbles. And who knows, like Cisco and all the other players, they may get something that actually works into our hands. I wish them well -->

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like