back to article Go forth Spitzer! To infinity and....

NASA’s trusty Spitzer Space Telescope is set to enter the next stage of its mission which has been dubbed “Beyond” in October. The 0.85-metre device is the largest infrared telescope in space and covers an important wavelength range - 3 and 180 microns - not observable from the ground. Launched in 2003, the telescope has …

1. Scott 53

Eh?

"The bright young galaxy is about 13.4 million light years away, meaning the light we see now was emitted just 400 years after the Big Bang."

I, er, don't think so.

1. TimR

Re: Eh?

Well spotted - I think the word "million" is missing....

2. Stoneshop
      Headmaster

Better use the 'tips and corrections' link at the bottom of the article for, eh, tips and corrections such as this; they're usually acted on pretty quickly. And you won't have a comment looking misplaced after the correction.

1. TimR

Good point, well made. I've followed your advice and even noticed there were two mistakes in that sentence on re-reading it

2. Scott 53

I'd never noticed the Tips and corrections link, but as I don't have anything configured for mailto: links it's not much use to me.

1. Lars Silver badge
          Coat

"as I don't have anything configured for mailto". Use copy/paste and send an e-mail!.

3. Scroticus Canis

Re: Eh? - Proor poof reading IMHO

Not only but also - "wavelength range - 3 and 180 microns" >> 'wavelength range - between 3 and 180 microns' or '...3 to 180...' if it's inclusive.

No fun in just sending a correction :)

2. Novex
    Coat

Er...

...I think I spotted a problem: at some point in the future Earth is going to crash into Spitzer! Where's my tin foil hat, I'm going to need it!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

distance

Can't they put the brakes on a bit? Drop it into a lower orbit and let it start catching up.

1. DNTP

Re: distance

NASA did not anticipate that the telescope would last long enough to make an orbital transfer like that a mission requirement. Also, it's not just a one-time maneuver- it would involve catching up to Earth, and then a re-transfer to the original orbit to avoid getting too close to Earth. Earth radiates heat, and heat affects the telescope. Also by the time such a maneuver would be required, the telescope would have depleted its He cooling system (which happened in 2008), worsening the heating effect. Finally, this would have to be done quickly, to make it worthwhile relative to the likelihood of the telescope reaching the end of life during the process.

1. Geoff Johnson

Good points.

2. Youngone Silver badge

The answer's obvious then. Slow the Earth down a bit.

Do I have to do all the thinking around here?

4. Scott Broukell
    Meh

Well I for one sincerely hope when they do finally spot some aliens that faces and number plates will automatically be blurred - I mean we don't want to invoke any outrage over privacy, especially if they have more advanced technology / weaponry.

5. Mark 85
    Pint

This is just damn incredible much like other "missions" from NASA. They go past their "sell by date" and keep on sending us science. Marvelous. Have a cold one NASA..

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why not put the telescope to sleep for 5+ years until the Earth starts catching it up...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon