back to article Bloody Dell! Is EMC going to drop its logo? Answers on a postcard to Brentford

Corrective brand surgery seems to be taking place at EMC’s London HQ already – it may be that Michael Dell is so keen to get his hands on the storage giant that he can’t wait for the ink to dry on the deal. Following a tip-off about the changes taking place, El Reg in the UK braved the mean streets of Richmond and Kew to reach …

1. magickmark
    Coat

Dark times ahead?

Only time will tell!!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surprise!

The sheet comes down and it's been replaced by the HPE green rectangle.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

Re: Surprise!

Nah--the NSA's logo :)

3. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Pint

"We asked EMC UK PR man Simon Skinner for comment on the strategic placement of the black sheet, but he’s yet to return our calls."

Knowing Michael Dell, I wouldn't be surprised if Simon Skinner was under a black sheet somewhere, being told to stay very quiet.

It's pub o'clock.

4. Chris Holford
    Pint

You mean the Martini Clock!

https://www.architecture.com/image-library/ribapix/image-information/poster/martini-warehouse-formerly-henlys-car-showroom-and-service-station-great-west-road-brentford-london/posterid/RIBA24207.html

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You mean the Martini Clock!

Thanks for that link, Chris. I see the subtlety of the stonework in the original has been lost to some hideous cladding at some point in its history. I feel there might be a metaphor there.

2. TWB

Re: You mean the Martini Clock!

Here here! It was always that to our family on our occasional jaunts up the M4 to London when I were a lad.

5. The Godfather
    Megaphone

Essex? the only way is Middlesex

Brentfords in posher climes than Essex...should read Middlesex my man Reg....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Essex? the only way is Middlesex

I think you'll find Middlesex does not exist.

It really does not and hasn't done for some time.

I Know, I live there.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Essex? the only way is Middlesex

Well, it's a postal county, isn't it? It was the only county to be (almost) entirely swallowed by greater London, the remainder ending up in Surrey. Ashford is still known to many as being in Middlesex rather than Surrey where it currently is (there's another one in Kent of course).

Nearer to where I live the banks of the Thames are still known as the Surrey and Middlesex banks.

6. The Count
    Facepalm

No surprise

This should come as no surprise to anyone as EMC will no longer exist as a company. Simply a division of Dell. What other companies do you know of whose divisions have their names on buildings? Its always the parent company. EMC no longer exists.

1. Uiscedraoi

Re: No surprise

Not sure about the building logo -- although I think it was kept -- but RSA kept its own logo and .com address after being acquired by EMC. So did VMware. Under both original logos, there was simply a line in small type, identifying it as an EMC company. This was a conscious decision on EMC's part since both companies had a strong identity and customer base in their particular space and since that was the case, why mess with the branding?

Who knows that Dell will do with the EMC logo? But sometimes, decisions are more about ego than marketing.

2. Uiscedraoi

Re: No surprise

Not sure about the building logo (although I think it was kept), but RSA kept its own logo and .com address after being acquired by EMC. Pretty sure VMware did too, with just a small line under each logo, identifying it as an EMC company. That was a conscious decision on EMC's part since each of those companies already had a strong identity and customer base, and it was worth keeping their existing branding.

But who knows what Dell will do? Sometimes it's about the ego, rather than what the branding brings to the acquiring company.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You now work for Dell

in case you haven't figured it out yet!

There is NO EMC any longer.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It should be

ABAYWEH

Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here

Like HP(E) they Dell are becoming increasingly irrelevant in the IT World.

The only good thing from Dell at the moment are their 27in 4K displays. Well priced

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A VW Logo on a Mercedes Benz

When Sun took over Storagetek they would put the STK Logo on crappy Sun Storage, hoping the customer would buy it... Most were smart enough and wouldn't.

It's the same as putting a Carl Zeiss Logo on an otherwhise bad smartphone ...

Now why in the world would Dell put a Dell Logo on EMC ???

Dell stand for "commodity product" and while I agree that Storage is and should be a commodity these days, the type of decision makers that buy EMC like to be associated with the EMC Status Symbol and the arrogance that permeates through the entire company.

Not even NetApp Marketing have screwed up that badly - and they surely know how to confuse and alienate customers....

10. Clubikle

Those were the days

Brentford Nylons!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's fairly common knowledge that Dell will be Dell Technologies.

Dell-EMC will be the Enterprise (servers/storage/software) brand.

Dell will be the consumer electronics devision.

12. EC

Half the plastic is off

on the right hand side, revealing an EMC logo

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like