back to article MIT brainiacs triple the speed, double the range of Wi-Fi

Researchers at MIT's Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab (CSAIL) think they have perfected a system that dramatically improves Wi-Fi connections by eliminating signal interference. Dubbed MegaMIMO 2.0 (multiple-input and multiple-output), the technique uses a processor, a real-time baseband processing system, and …

1. Steve Foster
    Joke

"consumers won't have to buy new hardware"

What about those of us who don't have Roombas? Can we substitute the family pet?

1. Adam 1

Re: "consumers won't have to buy new hardware"

Yes. As long as you can mount your laptop on the moggie, this should work fine. Unfortunately, you still need a Roomba on which you can mount the moggie, so it is really turtles all the way down.

2. Sampler

Except a new basestation, or are all the manufacturers going to simply issue firmware upgrades instead of selling a new shiny box?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Quote:-

or are all the manufacturers going to simply issue firmware upgrades instead of selling a new shiny box?

Are you kidding?

Do pigs fly?

Did you get lucky in bed last night?

{Ok, that is a joke}

Do you really think that the makers will do anything apart from wanting us to buy new devices?

What about all those who use the WiFi device supplied by the ISP. For example the BT Home Hub. Will that get an update?

Will all those Starbucks etc throw out their existing kit and replace it with this new fangled kit?

I think not.

While this is a nice advance IMHO this will take at least a decade before it is even in 25% of networks. By then we will have something else instead of jamed WiFi networks

Currently, my laptop shows 34 other networks available and I'm well out in the 'burbs. Do we really need more range. I certainly don't want 134 networks all trying to use Channel 6 showing up.

1. Sampler

Maybe I should've used the "joke alert" icon?

2. Tom 7

MIT Braniacs triple the speed

and content 'providers' quadruple the data load of 2k of text from 100MB to 400MB.

Plus adverts.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All I want ..

.. is a WiFi powered torch. Does this help with that?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like