back to article Microsoft baits new vSphere-to-Hyper-V switch offer

Microsoft is having another go at displacing vSphere. Redmond's new offer means that if you make the move and prove it to Microsoft's satisfaction, you will “Receive free Windows Server Datacenter licenses with Software Assurance and pay only the cost of Software Assurance”. On one level this is business as usual: vendors are …

1. hplasm
    Facepalm

Microsoft Tamagochi Gambit.

No friends? Buy virtual ones...

"Look how popular we are!"

1. TheVogon

Re: Microsoft Tamagochi Gambit.

" suggest its critics look at the scoreboard, where it beats Hyper-V by about four to one!"

Hyper-V has had over 30% of the hypervisor market for some time now. Vsphere therefore only beats it by about one point five to one!

See for instance http://www.thomasmaurer.ch/2014/07/hyper-v-is-eating-vmwares-lunch/

2. Hans 1

>Redmond's new offer means that if you make the move and prove it to Microsoft's satisfaction, you will “Receive free Windows Server Datacenter licenses with Software Assurance and pay only the cost of Software Assurance”.

That is still more expensive than GNU/Linux + support, thanks, but no ... I'll keep my Linux boxen ...

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Microsoft will happily Azurify those for you too

2. TheVogon

"That is still more expensive than GNU/Linux + support,!"

Not versus a commercially supported version like Redhat it isn't...

The Datacentre version also include unlimited Windows Server VM licences.

And don't forget that Hyper-V Server is also a proper standalone Hypervisor (like vSphere) that can run without an underlying OS and not just a bolt-on OS kernel plugin like say KVM.

1. Lost_Signal

StandALone?

Last time I checked It still requires a Windows Kernel to run a VM in (and pass IO through) much like the DOM0 in Xen. In hyper-V server its stripped down, but still there (just really limited).

I would argue KVM is actually a more elegant design (What's the point of having a hypervisor if you must hairpin all IO through a management VM?!)

3. phuzz Silver badge

If you're looking at software assurance, you're already getting ready to spend a lot of money, but potentially a company could save a lot of money one this one.

Does the OS license expire when your SA agreement is up?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I would assume that, if you get the licenses for free and need to "only" pay for SA, they are perpetual. Theoretically that would mean that, once the SA agreement is up, you can use the licenses for as long as you want (or until support for the version ends).

Knowing Microsoft, I wouldn't be surprised if the offer didn't include some legalese stating that :

a. SA is mandatory

b. Licenses can't be transferred between hosts

c. All of the above

But even with those it might still be cheaper than vmware...

4. John Sanders
    Trollface

Slowing down development of vSphere

"virtualisation isn't a growth business any more and is gently slowing vSphere development"

One wonders if the real reason has more to do with not much to copy-paste over from kernel.org these days, currently kernel.org is not undergoing any significant architecture changes and they are embarked in a "just refining stuff" phase for the time being.

But that is just me :-P

5. Ilsa Loving

Pfft

If Microsoft is running the rest of their business they way they're running Windows 10, who in their right mind would switch to their products if they had any choice in the matter?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a downgrade to switch to Hyper-V.

At my last job they had a working vSphere cluster, with mostly Windows VMs on top. A new IT manager was hired and they decided it would be cheaper to use Hyper-V instead of vSphere, thus consolidating everything under the Microsoft umbrella.

It didn't go well. Our cluster was suddenly susceptible to crashes from applying Windows updates, and it crashed on a bi-weekly basis because the manager didn't read the update notes before releasing them to the cluster. We could have tried to postpone updates, but eventually we needed to update in order to continue using Microsoft's cloud services. It never got better.

You've been warned.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's a downgrade to switch to Hyper-V.

You let somebody with the word "Manager" in their title do techy stuff? Well that... right there... is your problem

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> manager didn't read the update notes before releasing them to the cluster.

If the same dimwit manager was let loose on a vSphere cluster happily doing upgrades without reading release notes then you'd still be borked.

Those Dunning-Krugers types are everywhere, and their only skill is honing their CVs and bullshitting the existing management and HR in the first place to hire them.

3. TheVogon

"A new IT manager was hired and they decided it would be cheaper to use Hyper-V instead of vSphere"

Yep, no brainer.

"Our cluster was suddenly susceptible to crashes from applying Windows updates, and it crashed on a bi-weekly basis because the manager didn't read the update notes before releasing them to the cluster. "

So the problem was your managers approach to installing and testing updates, not the product. Updates are normally released monthly. (In general Hyper-V Server requires far fewer patches / updates / fixes than vSphere.)

7. WireBug

NOPE!

Nope, i've lost all trust in MS after the windows 10 fiasco. That was just really bad business the way they pushed it out.

Why would I give up a solid hypervisor with excellent management and services for their free and crippled version of a hypervisor.... it's barely a virtual platform with clunky tools... i'll stick with what I have thank you very much!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: NOPE!

So that makes Microsoft's offer a hyperweasel?

2. TheVogon

Re: NOPE!

"Why would I give up a solid hypervisor with excellent management and services for their free and crippled version of a hypervisor"

FYI - Hyper-V Server is both fully featured and free - nothing is crippled.

If you want the GUI / management stack then you need to pay for it. But that's still cheaper than vSphere - which you also have to pay (lots more) for...

8. tommyalanson

Well, nice try but...

You still have to buy SC 2016 or SCVMM and by the way, license it by the core.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like