back to article Facebook backup, anyone?

Acronis TrueImage 2017 has announced it can incrementally backup Facebook to protect a user's timeline and photos. This is better than native Facebook backup, according to Acronis. The product is an evolution of its full image backup technology which protects everything on a user's computer and can restore it to the same or a …

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Trollface

How quaint, the idea that a facebook profile is actually valuable enough to pay to back it up!

Normally my advice is to delete your profile every year or so, create a fresh one with a new (disposable) email address, and then invite the few friends who were the least moronic posters from your last incarnation.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Facebook will link the profiles behind the scenes, just as they do with people who have no profile.

Shared friends, IP address or ISP, browsing behaviour, posting style. Eventually it will add up to enough probability to call them the same person.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Even so, your FB "friends" or possible trawling (or trolling) buy others (potential spouse or employer, etc) still wont see those old embarrassing photos or stupid drunken posts.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope it has more features..

.. like incrementally deleting everything on Facebook. It may have escaped their attention but I have as yet to see anyone get in trouble over removing something, but from what I read*, posting appears to be the thing that gets people into trouble.

It strikes me that they didn't accurately identified the real market opportunity :).

* In the news, not using FB myself.

3. Sebastian A

Can't you just email support@nsa.org and get them to send you a .zip file of all your public and private posts off Facebook?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you're European you can just make a data protection request, and have it all sent to you.

Sorry, not for yanks though.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon