back to article Former RN flagship HMS Illustrious to be sold for scrap – report

Aircraft carrier HMS Illustrious will be sold for scrap in spite of efforts to preserve her for the nation as a museum ship, according to reports. The warship – affectionately known as “Lusty” – is set to be sold to Turkey's LEYAL Ship Recycling for £2.1m, according to The Sun. Launched in 1978, Lusty was still being fitted …

1. Alister

Fast jet carrier operations will resume with the introduction of HMS Queen Elizabeth, the first of the Royal Navy's two new super-carriers, in 2018.

Umm, nope, that's incorrect. Fast jet carrier operations won't resume until the F35 becomes available in 2020 (at the moment)

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Correct I think....the "fast jet carrier" will be operational, although the fast jets thereupon will not be.

Like so many MoD projects, the end product is fitted "for but not with <thing>"

1. Gordon861

Not sure you can call it a fast jet carrier if the aircraft don't yet exist and every other fast jet cannot land and takeoff do to no catapults etc.

Still a bloody stupid idea ...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

first of the Royal Navy's two new super-carriers

And whilst we're on this point, what's "super" about them? Admittedly bigger than the Invincible carriers, the potential at that size of ship to have proper fast jets was thrown away during specification, so they'll only be able to operate a different and more expensive flavour of STOL jet, with all the same compromises of heavy airframe, shorter range and reduced payload.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And whilst we're on this point, what's "super" about them?

Obviously, the carriers fly.

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

@Ledswinger

Yep, if only the carriers were nuclear powered and had electromagnetic catapults.

3. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Flight deck trials with QE and British F-35Bs are scheduled for 2018, as I wrote here.

To be fair, that's a long, long way off having a deployable carrier + air wing. I suspect even initial operating capability is likely to slip to 2019.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Fast jet carrier operations will resume with the introduction of HMS Queen Elizabeth, the first of the Royal Navy's two new super-carriers, in 2018.

It's not clear to me if that's fast jet carrier or fast [jet] carrier

1. Nolveys

It must be the boat that's fast. If the jets were fast then they'd be there by now.

5. Sgt_Oddball

Wellllllll.....

If they really wanted to it's not that difficult to pick up a few old harrier air frames and the engines are cheap enough on e-Bay (I'm quite serious, £5k buys you a factory fresh 'crate' pegasus engine... I was sorely tempted but the wife said no).

And there you go a few fast jets to go with the new shiny carriers for a couple of years.

Now can I triple the prices and call them consultation fees on how to save money for the MOD?

6. MotionCompensation

Aah, the F35, is that what will make Britain great again? Just like what Windows 10 did for Microsoft?

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

More than likely the US Marines will fly from QE initially. They have nominally operational F-35Bs, but no ships to fly them from that don't melt under the jet exhaust. We'll have the ship but no planes. Problem solved!

2. chivo243 Silver badge

Only 2.1 million?

That is really sad, sad I tell you... stop blowing millions on failed IT Porkjects :-/

3. Hollerithevo

It's always hard

Hard to see a valiant ship dismembered, but I think it's worse to see a fighting ship moored and made a tourist destination. A ship honorably retired and recycled, as old wooden ships were recycled (their timber going for building, etc) seems a more dignified state for a warrior.

(As a parallel, the appalling mummy of Jeremy Bentham, still preserved and on show. Grotesque.)

(HMS Belfast is my other example: 'catering events' aboard this proud ship. 'tourist experience'. Sad.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: It's always hard

So renting out the Glasgow for an "Under Siege (A.K.A Diehard on a Boat)" lasertag party might be construed as being in poor taste?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But on the other hand, nothing beats spending a quiet, September Monday afternoon on-board the USS Massachusetts (WWII battleship, Battleship Cove, MA), wandering about on deck, in the messes and down in the the engine rooms with almost no one else about (kids all back in school!) feeling the ghosts of 3000 sailors and marines in battle. As a landlubber, I find these things fascinating.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

ditto for the USS Alabama in .... Alabama. A WW2 Sub is moored alongside.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"(HMS Belfast is my other example: 'catering events' aboard this proud ship. 'tourist experience'. Sad.)"

Whats sad about people being able to walk around a ship and get some understanding of what it might have been like to serve on it? Also its interesting simply from an engineering point of view. Perhaps you'd be happy to see Chatham historic dockyard closed too and its exhibits gone for scrap and the mary rose sent for compost? Using your logic why not just scrap anything from the past thats past its sell by date - trains, planes, cars, buses, houses, castles so the only way to experience the past is through photos and books? In fact , lets scrap books too, who needs em - its tablets all the way! Brilliant!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

with VR coming soon to just about everything under the sun, we won't ever need to leave our homes to experience all that dull history stuff in future.

Yeah right. I'll still have great fun driving a real steam train. Heres to a spec of coal in your VR eye!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Yeah right. I'll still have great fun driving a real steam train. Heres to a spec of coal in your VR eye!"

A lot of millenials can't even drive a car never mind a locomotive. More interested in playing on a telephone than driving. What a wuss generation.

1. phuzz Silver badge
            Windows

"A lot of millenials can't even drive a car never mind a locomotive."

Just FYI, the 'millennial' generation started in 1980, so some of us are old enough to be grandparents now.

Nice lawn you've got here mate, think I'll have a little sit down on it :)

2. Sgt_Oddball

You don't get the smell of oil, grease, steam and smoke though, nor that feeling in your gut as a train sets off.

3. Gene Cash Silver badge

> VR coming soon

Eh, I remember an El Reg story about one of the dockyard museums having street-view style virtual tours available. I spent several days looking at things.

As I'll sadly never be crossing the pond, that's the best I can hope for.

2. Shades

"Perhaps you'd be happy to see Chatham historic dockyard closed too"

One of my friends wouldn't be happy about that, he'd lose his home and he'd be out of a job! And I wouldn't be happy because I wouldn't get to see the beautiful pictures he takes of the place. Especially the famous No. 3 Slip building, which you've probably seen and not realised, having been used as a set for a few movies* and UK TV**

* Les Misérables, The World Is Not Enough, Children of Men, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

** Oliver Twist, Call the Midwife, Mr Selfridge

3. Youngone Silver badge
        Unhappy

>Using your logic why not just scrap anything from the past thats past its sell by date - trains, planes, cars, buses, houses, castles...

That's we do where I live, we tear down all the old buildings to make way for new ones because it better or something.

Oh, I just made myself sad.

4. Richard 81

Personally I love that ships like HMS Belfast get preserved and I find it a real shame when one gets scrapped. I wish HMS Warrior had been properly preserved, rather than being turned into a hulk. The restoration is amazing, but a lot of it's based on guesswork since there aren't any proper plans. Unfortunately HMS Victory is looking pretty shabby these days.

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
        Unhappy

Unfortunately HMS Victory is looking pretty shabby these days.

Only because we're rebuilding the thing again....

My dad did some of his apprenticeship working on Victory...like most dockyard workers

5. dvd

Personally I had a great day aboard HMS Belfast and I think it's a much better fate for a ship than getting converted into tat dust gathering knick-nacks for sale in the Nauticalia shop like some older wooden ships.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They used mine for torpedo target practice by one of our submarines.

7. DaddyHoggy

Having watched HMS Warrior turn up in Hartlepool as a rusting pontoon only to be fully restored over the course of my childhood (only then to be nicked by Portsmouth once all the hard work had been done) - then, many years later, to get a guided tour of it after my friend got married on it, was a wonderful experience - so I would have to completely disagree with you.

8. BebopWeBop
      Trollface

(As a parallel, the appalling mummy of Jeremy Bentham, still preserved and on show. Grotesque.)

But until they tightened up security, about 30 years ago, Bentham made a great target for rag stunts.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Well, sounds like they should have tried to save the Invincible anyway

It's sad to see a ship go, but if they save a ship it should really be one that is iconic or has a great combat record. And 15,000-20,000 tons of recycled steel is good for the environment. Or strip the ship and sink it to make an artificial reef. Those are useful

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ada

I actually endured an Ada programming class in university .. voluntarily

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ada

Nowt wrong with Ada, especially for this kind of use. Although the article doesn't mention it I wouldn't be surprised if the apps on top of Win4Warships were still coded in Ada to prevent the same issues it was always there to avoid.

Having also tried to write and compile Ada I can attest to how hard is it to get an error into production! My real nightmare would be if Windows for Warships was running apps written in Java by the same "developers" one sees out in the private sector. Or worse...Docker..."don't worry it'll all be fine we used containers!"

1. hammarbtyp

You wee lucky.

I had to do a Coral66 course which was the precursor to ADA in the UK military

Never wrote a single thing in it, but it was showing its age even then

2. Zoopy

One time in grad school I was chatting with a developer who was working on the software for the U.S. Navy's DD(X) destroyer. (Later called the Zumwalt.) Apparently they tried for a while to write (some?) parts of the ship's software in Java. Scary.

2. ma1010
      Facepalm

I well remember Ada. Did my master's project in it (NOT voluntarily). The program wasn't all that complex, but we all used a horrible Windows-based compiler from a company named Meridian. You could write perfectly good code, compile it, and get it to run perfectly at home. Then you take it to Uni and watch it fail when you run it on the machine there. Same version of same OS. Enough to (literally) bring tears to your eyes at times. "But it worked at home!" Even our instructor, who was an Ada expert (including using "tasking," which at that time meant you were super-programmer) couldn't see why our code did that.

At work I was using Borland compilers. So much nicer! They just worked.

1. Lusty
        Holmes

Compiling against a different processor no doubt. Ada fails on purpose then to prevent errors after compile. Quite clever really, but in reality if all the developers have gone insane from bug hunting the resultant product will still be potentially problematic :)

6. caffeine addict
    Joke

That's a hell of a shame - she could easily have been converted into a cruise ship with one hell of a putting green...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

I was thinking a somewhat macho shuffleboard deck

7. Mage Silver badge
    Coat

Questions?

Can UK afford a real Navy?

Does UK need one?

Which is more use, an aircraft carrier with decent mix of fighters & bombers and support defence or the Trident system?

1. caffeine addict

Re: Questions?

No.

Maybe.

Something we might use is better value than something we'll never use.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Somewhat alarmingly, only China can afford a real navy these days

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Somewhat alarmingly, only China can afford a real navy these days

No they can't. They just think they can. Like the Spanish, Dutch, British, Russians and Americans did in turn over the course of recent centuries.

The Americans haven't got the memo yet, but with the Ford class carriers coming in at $13bn not including aircraft as far as I can tell, and a vast budget deficit, they're going to run out of pork soon. The Chinese will likewise find that fancy military toys and huge military cost far more than the productive economy can support.

2. Vic

Something we might use is better value than something we'll never use.

That depends on how you define "use"...

If a deterrent weapon is ever fired, it has failed. If its purpose is to deter, its use is to sit ready without every being fired.

This makes the Vulcan either one of the most successful aircraft ever built, or possibly one of the least successful. I'm going for the former, as I'm rather glad not to see its payload[1] being delivered in anger.

Vic.

[1] Yes, I know it dropped conventional bombs in the Falklands. But it was built as a nuclear bomber.

3. jeffdyer

We use Trident every day. It's a deterrent, not a weapon.

2. MrXavia

Yes we need a Navy, it has many usages, although personally I think F35's are pointless....

Yes we can afford one, it employs people, money goes from the government to the people it governs....

8. Lusty
    Mushroom

My ship!

It's my ship, get yer mits off!

9. hammarbtyp

Ark Royal

Just finished reading the rather good Phoenix Squadron by Rowland White again which is about the how the Guatemalan land grab was put down by the appearance of the Ark Royal with its long range strike buccaneers aircraft

During the Falkland wall, the admiralty laid out the issues of sending the harrier carriers with harriers limitations of range, AEW cover and in-flight refueling into such an environment. At which point Mrs Thatcher turned to her ministers and asked why the Ark Royal could not be sent instead, not aware that it had been scrapped some year earlier.

I can only assume there was a period of embarrassed silence and shuffling of feet after that...

1. BebopWeBop

Re: Ark Royal

An ability to fly Phantoms would (probably) have prevented many British losses in the Falklands.

1. hammarbtyp

Possibly, although the Phantom on the Ark Royal was limited by the lack of a gun. During the Belize crisis this was a concern because the opposition was likely to be P-51 mustangs, which were remarkable resistant to IR sidewinders and the radar homing sparrows were neither reliable or agile enough.

The same issue would probably come up against the Argentine Pucara. the solution at the time was to fit 20mm rocket pods and hope.

Of course the Phantom would of been greater use against the Mirages and Skyhawks and its longer range and loiter, A-to-A optimized radar may of allowed a better chance of interception against the Exocet carrying aircraft.

More important however was the Buccaneers ability to carry buddy refueling packs which would of allowed even longer patrolling time and interception at a greater distance from the islands

1. BebopWeBop

Quite agree. And if you remember, what caused the real damage?

10. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

I would actually argue..

..that carrier based fast jet operations actually ended with the decommissioning of the Audacious class R09 HMS Ark Royal in 1979.

Compared to that venerable old lady, the Illustrious class were relatively small.

The Illustrious class were designed with a full-load displacement of around 18,000 tons. R09 Ark Royal was designed at 35,000 tons, and evolved to over 40,000 tons full load, over twice the displacement. In addition, she embarked F-4K Phantoms, the last supersonic aircraft to fly from a British carrier, and Bristol Buccaneers.

The Mighty Ark was a hold-over from WWII armored carrier design, and by the time she was decommissioned was completely worn out through a long life and incremental modifications. In the '60s, there was a grand project to build CVA-01, a suitable replacement, but this was canned by a Labour government, who deemed that the Navy no longer needed ship based fixed-wing aircraft. As a result, the Illustrious class then on the drawing board, were re-christened Through-Deck Cruisers, and were only intended to fly helicopters for anti-submarine purposes.

It was only after trials of P1107 Kestrels and early Harriers on R09 Ark Royal and HMS Bulwark (a light fleet carrier converted to operate helicopters) proved that they could be operated from smaller ships without CATOBAR facilities that it became feasible to actually use the Illustrious class as light fleet carriers. They were completed with ski-jumps to assist takeoff, and I actually saw Ark Royal and Illustrious being fitted out on the Tyne in the '80s.

But as the Sea Harrier was subsonic, I maintain that it did not really count as a fast jet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I would actually argue..

and Bristol Buccaneers

Blackburn Buccaneers, surely?

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

I stand suitably corrected. I was trying to avoid calling them Hawker Siddley Buccaneers.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Joke

where are the Bucaneers now?

Where the always wereon the side of your Bucanhead!

11. YARR

£2.1m = feasible via crowdfunding or through selling shares. You could probably recover the money back over several years by operating it as a tourist attraction / museum ship. OK, you'd also need to own a suitable mooring site, so are there any millionaires reading who own a sheltered cove / bay / inlet with a deep enough water channel and good road access?

In hindsight though, a ship that saw active combat in the Falklands such as the Invincible would have been more worthwhile preserving.

12. Vulch

Lose the ski ramp

Change the name to ELS* So Much For Subtlety and I reckon you could land all three cores of a Falcon Heavy along the deck. All good Bond villains need a converted warship, paging Mr Musk.

* Elon's Landing Ship

13. GrumpyKiwi

Saving ships

The great tragedy as far as I'm concerned was the failure to save any of the RN's battleships from the scrapyard. A major part of British history turned into razor blades with nothing left to remember them.

I'd have recommended HMS Duke of York which was the last RN Battleship to fight another enemy battleship, sinking the Scharnhorst off the coast of Norway in a snow storm on Boxing Day 1943.

1. GrumpyKiwi

Re: Saving ships

Just to add, imagine a 40,000 ton battleship parked in the Thames instead of HMS Belfast. The only way it could be any more awesome would be to have a James Bond impersonator parachute onto her decks every day with a Union Jack parachute.

Re: Saving ships @GrumpyKiwi

We scrapped nearly all of the WWII battleships very soon after the war. All of the surviving QE class were knackered after bearing the brunt of the Mediterranean conflict, with Warspite, Valiant and Queen Elizabeth all seriously damaged at various times by mines and consequently not suitable for preservation.

The Revenge class were already in reserve at the close of WWII, because they were very slow and had fueling issues (they were built as oil/coal fired, and did not have the oil bunkerage for operations outside of the North Sea).

Nelson and Rodney were... odd. Very atypical, and would not really have been representative.

Keeping a King George V should have been possible, but it was again, these were paid off into reserve or used for training duties very quickly after the war.

Although it was not a WWII battleship, Vanguard, as the last operational British battleship (and probably the best looking example of British big-ship design - being closest to the canceled Lion class in design) would have been an excellent choice, but preservation efforts failed because it would have been so expensive (and the government in the '60s were desperately trying to cut the cost of defence).

But Belfast is not such a bad remnant. In terms of size, being the same length as the smaller British battleships, is reasonably representative of wartime cruiser design (being a stretched, or improved Southampton class), had been active in WWII and was in the best condition of all of the remaining available large ships. As such, she gives some impression of size and conditions for a large number of British ships.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That is a shame that Britain didn't save the Duke of York, or the Warspite or Queen Elizabeth, which fought in WW2 and I think at Jutland too.

America managed to save I think 5 of it's late model WW2 battleships. I know the Alabama, Massachusetts, Iowa, New Jersey and Missouri got saved. Not sure about any others. I haven't seen any of the Iowa-class ships, but they were all built after the U.S. joined the Axis powers in tossing out interwar tonnage displacement treaty limits, so they are real monsters that displace something like 55,000 tons.

Also the U.S.S. Olympia got saved. It was the U.S. flagship during the battle of Manila Bay way back during the Spanish-American war, and it is probably the best example of the Victorian-era armored cruiser that is still around. Its been returned to its Manila Bay configuration and is at the Independence naval museum near Philadelphia, if you are ever in the neighborhood and want to see an old coal-burning warship. I saw it and thought it was (A) cramped and (B) pretty cool.

1. GrumpyKiwi

The Iowa's weren't ordered until after the outbreak of WW2. The London Treaty limits on warships had long since expired by then. The six previous US battleships were all (initially) ordered around the limits of the Treaty as were the RN's King George V's. The RN also had on order four Lion class battleships that would have been about the same size as the Bismarck - two were laid down just prior to WW2 starting but they were abandoned when escorts were needed more desperately and then carriers seemed like a better choice for construction.

The US also has the USS Texas saved which was a WW1 era Battleship.

2. Mark 85

@Marketing Hack -- Re: Saving ships

Olympia is still in dire straits from the news I've read. Best to see it while you can. They've been making interim repairs but she really needs drydock work and there's little to no money for that.

14. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

The ultimate Airfix model

Scale 1:1

15. Calleb III

Flat Conversion

£2.1mil is a bargain. Moor it in Canary Wharf and convert it to flats = profit

16. Daz555

About the QE carriers - why did we not just fit catapults from the start and stock them full of Super Hornets fully loaded with all the toys? Would it not have a been a ton cheaper and also good enough for our needs?

The biggest problem with the QEs is that they are powered by gas turbine/electric propulsion.

They could not have had steam catapults fitted, because there is no steam plant to generate steam (unlike the US nuclear carriers). And the electro-magnetic plane flingers were not available when the ships were first planned, need huge amounts of electrical power, and are bloody expensive (being current US technology).

If the design had been built around four or six Astute sub. reactors, they would have had either steam or surplus electrical power. But some bleeding hearts had decided that the UK should not have nuclear powered surface warships. So we have ships with limited range, reduced accommodation for crew, provisions, weapons and aircraft because of the need to have J-fule bunkers and fresh water tanks.

IMHO, they are seriously compromised ships, along with their built-around a-single-weapon system escorts, the Type 45 destroyers. I though the navy had learned this lesson after the County class and Type 81 large destroyers of the 1960's.

1. Vic

They could not have had steam catapults fitted, because there is no steam plant to generate steam

I wonder whether that is set in stone...

There's quite a bit of electricity available on these ships - it shouldn't be beyond the whit of man to put an oversized kettle on board to generate steam.

Caution: very rough calculations ahead...

The large steam catapults described here generate a thrust of 36,000Kg over a length of 94m - that's some 34MJ. That's the energy expended per launch.

This page is about energy storage in compressed air - I've assumed a similar compressibility for steam. It reckons 1m³ of compressed air at 70bar stores approximately 30MJ - that's pretty much the same figure as an aircraft cat launch. A dozen such cylinders essentially gets you one launch for each of the aircraft we're actually planning to have without recharging...

Of course, these boats have been designed by BAe Systems, so we're going to be looking at >£5B per ship just to do the above calculation...

Vic.

Electrical energy

Well, the US EMALS system is not going to be retro-fitted to the Nimitz class of carriers because the two nuclear reactors installed on these ships do not provide enough energy. So the chances of a gas-turbine/generator system providing enough juice seems unlikely.

They're being installed on the Gerald R Ford class, which have an uprated generating capacity compared to the Nimitzs.

2. collinsl Bronze badge

When the government decided last year to do exactly this (fit catapaults) they spent £17m looking into it and then BAe systems told them "we've designed the carriers for but not with catapults but it will double their cost to fit them at this stage of the build"

So the government ran away with their hair on fire over the extra cost

And, if you remember, they were only going to buy a single catapult, and swap it between the two ships as they entered/left refit. (Even now, it is only intended to keep one at sea at a time, which is how they intend to get away with so few planes.)

A ship of the size of these, with only a single catapult would be useless. Nimitz and Ford class carriers have four....

Whatever idiot suggested this method of working obviously thought that removing/fitting a catapult could not possibly be any more complicated than changing a car tyre!

17. Jonathan Richards 1

Late, and beside the point...

... but I would just like to point out that there was no Falklands War. Argentina did not declare war on the UK, the UK did not likewise declare war on Argentina, due to the unpleasantness that would have caused in the United Nations. There was a military operation, codenamed Operation Corporate, to expel the Argentinian invaders. Had there been a state of war, then the Vulcan operation Black Buck might have been carrying a different weapon to a target further north.

18. Dave 15

Efforts

I can assure you that the civil service were fighting AGAINST any attempt to keep this warship for the nation....

Apparently too expensive... shes a 'hulk'... not that we have any of them making good money around our coasts is it? I mean HMS Victory, Warrior, SS Great Britain, Cutty Sark, HMS Belfast... all hulks, all tourist attractions. The ONLY thing they actually needed to do was tie her up in Portsmouth (now mostly empty anyway as we don't have a navy any more just a handful of old fishing boats).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like