back to article London cops hunt for drone pilots who tried dropping drugs into jail

Cops have seized drones being used to fly drugs into London's Pentonville prison – and are now on the hunt for the people operating them. One drone crashed while flying over the all-male jail on 14 August. Another was intercepted in “mid-flight” heading towards the prison later that same day. Police did not say exactly how …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

According to other sources...

The second drone was low enough to be grabbed.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Re: According to other sources...

All those drugs on board, but couldn't get high enough? Oh, the irony....

2. wolfetone Silver badge

In fairness the criminals are heeding the medical advice on the dangers of swallowing condoms filled with drugs. So every cloud and all that...

3. Hollerithevo

Solution

Netting.

1. Warm Braw

Re: Solution

It could provide useful occupation for the inmates:

Naughty knaves knit and knot netting to nix narcs for nicked nonces

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Warm Braw - quality. Have an upvote!

2. Roq D. Kasba

Solitary

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Vertical netting can be cut or flown over. Horizontal netting can be penetrated with a weighted spike under the payload.

1. PhillW

"Vertical netting can be cut or flown over. Horizontal netting can be penetrated with a weighted spike under the payload."

Thats not going to get it into the cell, vid here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37152665

........... and I pity any unsuspecting bugger underneath!

4. phuzz Silver badge

Many prisons already use netting, as even before drones it also stopped people just chucking stuff over a wall.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Solution - Netting

The netting would need to be pretty small or a drone could simply fly above it and drop the package through... Even with small netting the "villains" could reduce the drug payload to wrapped pellets and rain them from above.

It would certainly stop the mobile phone drops however, and given the number of inmates who have drug dependency issues, maybe the phones are the bigger issue. I doubt the officers really have that much wish to be confronted with a whole prison going cold turkey.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"maybe the phones are the bigger issue"

The vast majority of prisoners smuggle phones into prisons to keep in contact with the families, thanks to extortionate payphone charges and difficulty of accessing same (profiteering is too kind a term).

Fix that and the powers-that-be could concentrate on crims who use phones in jail for more nefarious purposes.

As for the drugs: There's a more general problem there and the driving force behind the drugs war is "profit" - when you know that a medical knockout dose of cocaine is less than 50p but can sell on the street for upwards of 50 pounds you realise there are people willing to take risks for that kind of markup.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The vast majority of prisoners smuggle phones into prisons to keep in contact with the families, thanks to extortionate payphone charges and difficulty of accessing same (profiteering is too kind a term).

If they don't like the unfortunate restrictions on chokey, maybe they could try going straight?

1. Charles 9

No, because going straight means no opportunities which means they starve and DIE. For the TRULY desperate, it's literally crime or the grave.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

For the TRULY desperate, it's literally crime or the grave.

So, you're telling me that the near billion quid a day that the government spend on welfare is insufficient, then?

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Regardless of the welfare situation, the ridiculous prices for prison phone are just a giveaway to whoever gets the contract to provide them. It would be like if the prison decided soda was bad because the sugar was making prisoners violent, and they now had to pay $20 for a Pepsi. The same arguments that are made for high priced phone calls could be made for Pepsi - how prison isn't supposed to be cushy, and if the prison gets a cut of the money it could help defray what the taxpayers pay.

But when a rule causes a contraband headache those monetary savings evaporate (and then some) and you have a situation where the guys who follow the rules have the extra punishment (in the form of fewer calls with family or fewer Pepsis) and the guys who break the rules still get what they want, and the prison guards who are running the contraband or looking the other way get rich (and become subject to blackmail, leading to far worse crimes than sneaking in cell phones or soda)

For the guys who are well behaved, let them have all the time they want on the phones. Let them make a quick one minute call (or have a call in time prescheduled) and have family members call them which should cost nothing. The prison officials know the guys who are likely to be running gangs or criminal operations on the outside, and can still watch them like a hawk and listen in to their every call. But for the rest, the more connected they are to people on the outside, the more prepared they'll be to re-enter society, and the less trouble they'll be as they won't want to risk losing phone privileges. If you catch one passing a message for someone else (you still record their calls and spot check them) then they get extra time and lose the 'free callback' privilege so likely few would be willing to do so.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Regardless of the welfare situation, the ridiculous prices for prison phone are just a giveaway to whoever gets the contract to provide them

Good! The strong exploit the weak. That's what crime is. But it seems to me that you're wringing your hands that when the tables are turned, these poor lambs need to be treated with tenderness and kindness.

From my point of view, I disagree, They're in the clink to stop them committing more crime, and to restrict their liberties. If the scum don't like the conditions, maybe they should not prey on the weak in the first place. But my contempt is particularly reserved for people wringing their hands at the "ill treatment" of these felons. I WANT THEM ILL TREATED. I DON'T CARE IF THEY CAN'T PHONE THEIR MATES. Prison isn't cheap, and it doesn't reform, we all know that. So let's make sure it is punishment. I'd have the f*ckers breaking rocks for eighteen hours a day.

2. Charles 9

"So, you're telling me that the near billion quid a day that the government spend on welfare is insufficient, then?"

No, because for those on the wrong side of the tracks, many were DENIED. So where do you go from there? The gaol or the grave?

1. itzman

almost no one ends up in gaol for nicking food to live on.

most gaol terms are for robbery with violence, at a minimum.

Murder, gbh, serious drug trafficking, contempt of court, these re what land you in chokey.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Details

What was the model of quadcopter? The photo (low res unfortunately) looks like a chinese copy of the DJI Phantom... I'm thinking that if the perps spent serious money on the delivery drone, they'd be keen to get it back and would therefore hang about in the area risking capture. If it was a cheap one, they might see it as a "fire and forget" system and scarper much more quickly?

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Details

Looks like a quite old Blade 350QX. I don't think it would have been very easy to control or performed too well given the size of the load by the look of the bag in the photo.

£200 or less on the used market.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's not a blade 350qx, its a walkera DJI Phantom v1.

2. AF

The drone in the first photo (the white one) is a DJI Phantom 4. Quite a pricey bit of kit (approx £1200 new) but mind numbingly easy to fly. As it has FPV built in, it would be easy to launch from a reasonable distance away - well out of sight - and still deliver the payload on target. The increased weight would reduce flight time but it'd only be for half the trip...

DJI do equip their drones with a "no-fly zone" geofencing system, which aims to prevent flights over sensitive areas such as airports and prisons, however it includes the ability to "unlock" the ability to ignore the restrictions by validating an account.

3. TwistUrCapBack

They wont care about the drone ..

"allegedly" , 1 ounce of "spice" , the synthetic cannabis that they are all mad about at the moment, costs around £60 outside of prison, and is worth around £1600 on the inside ..

That bundle looks like it contains around 2 ounce.

They only need one successful drop and the profits are huge - the drone will be seen as disposable

5. EddieD

Pointless waste of time, in my opinion.

Stoned prisoners are less combative than tense prisoners, and in the absence of dope, which is one of the less harmful drugs, they turn to other intoxicants.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pointless waste of time, in my opinion.

Yes, in fact why not just let them out, much less trouble for all the prison staff.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So much MORE trouble for the public at large, though. Not all drugs make you mellow, and your mileage may vary. Remember there are mellow drunks and there are MEAN drunks. Similarly, a join may make most people mellow but some drugs and some people get pretty damn dangerous (like ignores PAIN dangerous).

1. TwistUrCapBack

Iv yet to meet a stoned person looking for a fight !!

1. Charles 9

I have, though. As they say, your mileage may vary.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Operation Airborne

I thought as a general rule, operational names were supposed not to be related to the subject.

I guess this runs in parallel to Operation Phoneuptheass

1. davenewman

Re: Operation Airborne

Operation Phoneupthearse. This is not America.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Operation Phoneupthearse. This is not America.

Not sure about you, but I was on about the issue of smuggling contraband in via an old donkey.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I guess this runs in parallel to Operation Phoneuptheass

Hang on, that strikes me as *really* the wrong place to spin up those rotor blades ..

/confused

7. Alister

Police did not say exactly how they stopped the second drone.

They parked a big black Eurocopter EC145 in it's way

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Joke

They parked a big black Eurocopter EC145 in it's way

I thought it was dangerous to operate aircraft near to flying drones.

8. Scott Broukell

Oh FFS!

Just let those that want to do drugs in prison have free, regulated, very, very, very, very strong ones and see how long they last, end of. Overdose at her Majesty's pleasure all you want chaps - just sign this waver first, ta - imagine the savings - win win.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh FFS!

Do you actually believe than ANY amount of weed irrespective of its strenght will kill you?

Do you honestly believe that???

1. Eddy Ito
        Coat

Sure, 40 kilos dropped by a drone from 100 feet on the top of your noggin.

2. Scott Broukell

I'm not talking about weed alone, but, if an individual does chug on enough extremo-skunk every day they may not be physically dead, but are probably very very close to brain dead as makes no difference. But, happily, there are far more potent chemical highs available with lethal consequences in high-strength doses.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

But many druggies already have high tolerances. More drugs can just make them more violent.

3. Lotaresco

"Do you actually believe than ANY amount of weed irrespective of its strength (sic) will kill you?"

Yes. THC has an LD50 of between 800 and 3000mg/kg. So it's clear that there is an amount of weed that will kill.

1. Charles 9

Thing is, given the average human male's weight of 80kg, and given your average joint has about 5mg of THC in it, the math seems to indicate that THC will be the least of your worries when it comes to dying on joints. Now, the impurities and so on are another matter. Plus there's always the psychotropic X-factor (which is how many stoned people tend to get into trouble--not from the joint but from the things they were doing while high).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thank God it's just drugs..

.. can you imaging they manage to carry handguns in?

If anyone develops automated defences, let me know. I know a few airports which could be interested..

1. Charles 9

Re: Thank God it's just drugs..

It'd be a lot easier to toss in a salvo of shivs. Shivs are silent and a lot easier to conceal.

2. Stoneshop
      Holmes

A bunch of these, a Raspberry Pi with the appropriate sensors and actuators, plus a billion and a half thrown at BaE for software would solve that..

1. Charles 9

Don't most of these drones have cowled rotors, meaning they can resist netting? Plus if push came to shove, they'd probably start sporting cutters on top that'll help make netting fall around them.

10. Gene Cash Silver badge

so...

This wasn't a test run of Amazon's delivery service?

11. Tikimon
    Devil

Time for Trebuchets!

This over-reliance on technology to solve our problems has got to stop. Time for some tried-and-true medieval technology purpose-built to bypass high walls. Truck-mounted trebuchets would do a fine job of dropping packages into prisons, and can escape the area rapidly. With a fine ballistic arc and a high payload weight limit, they could rip or cut their way through any netting. There's no radio signal to jam, take over, or trace to give away the operator. Quadcopters make a furious whining sound and attract attention. The only sound an incoming catapult payload makes is the thud on impact.

Those who forget history and all that...

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Time for Trebuchets!

"Quadcopters make a furious whining sound and attract attention"

Yes, I've been wondering about this. Moving to ducted fans would make them much quieter and probably solve parasitic blade tip loss issues.

BTW the standard used for a military trebuchet was to throw the heads of captured soldiers back at their mates, or to toss dead/stinking carcasses into beseiged cities. Biological warfare, etc. They were never accurate enough to use as general purpose weapons.

1. Aus Tech

"BTW the standard used for a military trebuchet was to throw the heads of captured soldiers back at their mates, or to toss dead/stinking carcasses into beseiged cities. Biological warfare"

Like what was done in "Lord of the Rings: Return of the King" when Sauron's orcs, etc were attacking Minas Tirith. That's not biological warfare, it's psychological warfare. Biological warfare uses things like Anthrax, Potato Blight, Fowl Pest, etc. Powl Pest can wipe out Turkey populations in a very short period after being introduced to a concentrated population, like at a show.

1. Charles 9

It was BOTH. Many times the corpses shot into the city were rotten or plague-ridden.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The OP was correct. Often rotting carcasses or infected animals were thrown in to spread disease.

Wiki has some answers, but been many other sources quoted for this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_biological_warfare#Middle_Ages

2. Stoneshop

They were never accurate enough to use as general purpose weapons.

In the first Scrapheap Challenge series, the first episode even, the teams were given the task to build a medieval siege engine; one built a ballista, the other a trebuchet. Both were not too shabby in their performance as well as their precision; after several shots the team operating the treb managed to fling a cabbage squarely at the besieged castle's occupant. Other sources too indicate that the trebuchet was sufficiently precise to hit the intended target once you've got it aimed, using calibrated munition. But if the goal is to just cause damage, lobbing a holy handgrenade a bucketful of sharp stones covered in horse piss, rotting carcases or killed defenders' heads into the besieged area doesn't require more precision than making sure it lands in the enemy compound, and not your own.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"In the first Scrapheap Challenge series, the first episode even, the teams were given the task to build a medieval siege engine; one built a ballista, the other a trebuchet. Both were not too shabby in their performance as well as their precision; after several shots the team operating the treb managed to fling a cabbage squarely at the besieged castle's occupant."

America's counterpart, Junkyard Wars, managed to show you could do similarly with a modified treb design and pumpkins. Less consistent ammo and a lack of chances to dial it in meant only one hit was scored, but the principles were still sound.

The bit about the treb being consistent is accurate, though. You needed precision when it came to siege warfare because knocking down a castle wall usually took more than just a big rock; it took a number of the things practically hammering the same spot over and over.

1. Stoneshop
            Boffin

America's counterpart, Junkyard Wars, managed to show you could do similarly with a modified treb design and pumpkins. Less consistent ammo and a lack of chances to dial it in meant only one hit was scored, but the principles were still sound.

The trebuchet team sorted their cabbages by weight (I can't remember if the other team did too), and made minor corrections to their shots that way once they had the counterweight roughly right.

3. Anonymous Coward
        IT Angle

How accurate do you need to be to hit a massive castle wall? and they must have been somewhat effective as they are cases of Castles surrendering when these things got assembeled, Edward Longshanks campaigns stir something in my dusty memory.

Not very IT though

1. Charles 9

"How accurate do you need to be to hit a massive castle wall?"

Hitting the wall itself? Not very. Hitting the same spot over and over like a hammer? Much more, as you need consistency to get the required effect.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Truck-mounted trebuchets would do a fine job of dropping packages into prisons, and can escape the area rapidly

Hey You! STFU before Yodel start getting ideas that can make their legendary delivery even worse.

3. Haku

"Quadcopters make a furious whining sound and attract attention."

I'm patiently waiting for the shift in prop design from high efficiency / high thrust to low noise. A stealth multirotor could be an interesting thing.

1. Charles 9

But they probably stink in the payload department. There's a REASON for a preference for a high thrust.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

ahem. as a model aircrafft designer I can assure you that low noise is exactly high efficiency.

as rotor diamter tends to infinity rotor speed and rotor noise tends to zero and power to achieve a given thrust tends to zero.

UN fortunately where electric motors are concerned, as RPM tends to zero weight tends to infinity.

in practical terms what this means is that deep gearing and large rotors works, BUT there is added weight and losses of gearbox...

google 'man powered helicopter' to see where you have to go to achieve THAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syJq10EQkog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emK-qIbuJ-k

1. Charles 9

"ahem. as a model aircrafft designer I can assure you that low noise is exactly high efficiency."

Oh? What about the fact that high-thrust rotors generate more wind (thrust is merely directed wind, after all), which (above a certain level) becomes audible?

4. AndrueC Silver badge
      Joke

Quadcopters make a furious whining sound and attract attention.

Sounds like a typical politician.

1. Cardinal

@AndrueC

...or an Essex girl...

5. Stoneshop

Truck-mounted trebuchets would do a fine job of dropping packages into prisons,

A mortar or bombarde would be the better choice; you can hide one in a panel van, requiring only a sliding roof panel to operate. Pick a suitable location, calculate elevation and charge for the required distance and payload, go test somewhere remote, park van at location, fire, drive off.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And there are experts in NI who could lend a hand

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"A mortar or bombarde would be the better choice; you can hide one in a panel van, requiring only a sliding roof panel to operate. Pick a suitable location, calculate elevation and charge for the required distance and payload, go test somewhere remote, park van at location, fire, drive off."

Trouble is, they're also pretty noisy in an area where noise is, last I checked, discouraged (many prisons are out of the way, for example). It's unavoidable due to physics. Something that compact still able to propel something a ways IS going to produce a shock wave. And prisons tend to have cameras both inside and out. End result, try this and you'll probably be caught in the act.

12. Bob Dole (tm)
    Holmes

I'm really trying to understand something.

They know that people are trying to use the helicopters to drop stuff. How hard is it to:

1. Have low power radar to monitor things flying over?

2. Set up a few radio receivers around the prison so that they can pinpoint where the transmitter is? RC aircraft frequencies are very well known and setting up a few receivers should be child's play to monitor activity and pinpoint the transmission location....

3. After noticing the thing flying over, wait until someone picks up the package then charge them with additional counts of possession?

Seems to me that shooting down, catching or whatever it is they are doing to the drones is like the least successful way of going about stopping the practice. After all, once word gets out that you *will* be caught flying one of these things over a prison then the practice might very well stop.

1. Charles 9

Re: I'm really trying to understand something.

1. Depending on the location, radar may not be an option because it'll interfere with other radio operations. Also, these things are pretty small and usually made of plastic with a reduced radio reflection so may not trip most radar systems without raising the risk of false positives (think of the thing going off when nearby birds fly past).

2. Programmatic one-way drone flights will leave no radio signature. And if the transmitter is on a mobile base, or multistatic, it'll be hard to pinpoint.

3. A coordinated effort can distract the guards (say start a fight) while the payload is dropped off and secreted away.

PS. To the guy who suggested a truck-mounted trebuchet, something that big will be hard to erect, take down, and/or disguise in a hurry (the moment you launched, odds are someone will notice you and jot your plate). Also, the net can be very flexible and made of strong cords that give some, allowing it to absorb impacts and render it resistant to blunt-force penetration (the whole rig would give first before it broke), leaving direct cutting or going over, both of which have countermeasures against one-shots while a drone can perform a sustained effort.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Back in my day....

....it was just hooky snout and copies of Razzle mag!

- Norman Stanley Fletcher

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who is the guilty party, tho'?

Have the police spoken to a certain on-line retailer?

Just curious.....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like