back to article Irish Olympics' officials digital devices seized in Rio

Laptops and mobile phones of a trio of Ireland’s Olympics’ officials have been taken by Rio police. The Brazilian cops are believed to be investigating the illegal sale of Games tickets. The PCs and phones were taken along with the passports of three individuals by officers who arrived at the offices and accommodation of the …

1. Swarthy
    Pint

Well done, Olympics Officials

Keeping the standards and ethics that have been made infamous over the years.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Well done, Olympics Officials

Pot meet kettle, pot you forget kettle's cut.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Rio Police, seized Laptops

At the password prompt, type in: theyreaftermeluckycharms, no spaces!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Check the equipment three times.

To be sure, to be sure, to be sure.....

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Trollface

Irish officials caught selling tickets

An anonymous source close to the Brazilian officials said they'd do everything in their power to prevent tickets being sold and seats being filled.

5. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
    WTF?

Police in Brazil investigating corruption?

Does not compute.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Police in Brazil investigating corruption?

Sure it does, if you put quotes around 'corruption'.

Not that the Irish officials couldn't be cheating, but the Rio cops are rumoured to be rather loose with the facts when money is on the line. I'd guess they're just as likely to be the culprits. What do you want to bet that those seized, unused Irish tickets were quickly hustled out to waiting buyers?

1. Steve Hersey

Selling those tickets?

They'd better have been really quick about it, seeing as the Olympic closing ceremony was that same day.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Selling those tickets?

Then why did they bother to take the tickets?

1. Vic

Re: Selling those tickets?

Then why did they bother to take the tickets?

Evidence?

Vic.

6. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

So are the police pissed that there was a crime or that they didn't get their cut?

Honestly, Brazilian police need to sort themselves out. It's bad down there.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Irish hospitality: A thousand welcomes (at the same mark-up)

* This case sheds light on some real doggy practices. The Irish Elite like to think they're above the law, and they are within the four walls of Ireland, but not here...

* Even if Brazil lose the case and they might, there will be blood and permanent scarring on the normally 'untouchable'.... These links offer background into the actual con:

========================================

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/pat-hickey-and-the-olympic-ticket-trail-1.2762091?ref=yfp

http://www.irishexaminer.com/rioolympics/rioolympics-analysis/we-must-get-to-bottom-of-ticket-touting-416242.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/pat-hickeys-wife-told-brazilian-police-husband-had-returned-to-ireland-416367.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/paul-rouse/olympic-titan-pat-hickey-undressed-by-farce-416486.html?ref=yfp

1. Anonymous IV
      Facepalm

Re: Irish hospitality: A thousand welcomes (at the same mark-up)

I do hope you meant "some dodgy practices"!

"Doggy practices" would be an entirely different charge...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Doggy practices" would be an entirely different charge..

Good catch / guilty as charged! Amazing how the brain auto-cleans-things-up, no matter how many times you proof-read a thing:

===================================================

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in

waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the

frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses

and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid

deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Fcuknig amzanig huh?

2. David 132 Silver badge
        Joke

"Doggy practices" would be an entirely different charge...

Ruff justice, hounded by the law?

Charged under anti-terrierism legislation?

Collared by the police?

The police are following leads?

That's all I've got for now (thank goodness) but I'm sure there are others around here wittier than me who can do better...

2. Barry Mahon

Why anonymous? However, quite correct. Typical behaviour, not just the "elite" dishonesty is par for the course. Hickey is a typical example, I've got the foreman's job, I am untouchable, I'll abuse my position, I'll look after you, 'cos I can and you will be beholden to me.

Well taught, his buddy in the Olympic Council of Ireland, and heir apparent, is the CEO of the Football Assoc of Ireland.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Given what we know about the Olympic movement...

It wouldn't surprise me if selling ticket allotments was an accepted part of the unofficial IOC pay packet.

Of course, given the reputation of Brazilian police, I wouldn't be surprised if these arrests are a reminder that the local cops want their cut, or if the impounded tickets "disappeared from the evidence locker".

9. Frenchie Lad

Thank God!

Thank you clarifying that it was digital devices and not any other tackle!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The IOC, corrupt?

Surely not!.....

11. Little_Crow

Maybe they should have spent that money towards kick backs for boxing judges....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like