back to article USA lets visiting Australian tech workers keep toiling while they wait for visa extensions

The United States has made a small-but-important change to the E-3 visa, an instrument that allows skilled Australians to work in the nation. The E-3 is similar to the controversial H1-B visa, as it allows skilled workers to ply their trade stateside and can be renewed every two years, indefinitely. Australians can't score the …

1. Mike Lewis

Great news!

This is great news! I'm an embedded programmer in Melbourne who's looking for work and this will reduce the competition, much the same way as six of my friends working in that area went overseas after Australia's electronics industry died and went to China. I can't do that myself as I'm looking after my mum. If you think finding parts for old hardware is difficult, try keeping someone going who was built in 1932.

1. GrumpyOldBloke

Re: Great news!

The Oz->US E3 visa has generally been under subscribed so competition getting a visa shouldn't be much different. Finding a job in competition with the Indian H-1B's probably won't have changed much. $4K is still chump change compared to the salaries a skilled US local would require.

2. Sevjer

As long as it is reciprocal, and U.S. wishing to work in Australia can do the same thing. U.K. for example makes it extremely tough for a U.S. Citizen.

3. cphi

It is

I understand the E-3 was mostly due to the FTA and that, like the FTA, was reciprocal - ie Australian visa rules were similarly relaxed for American workers. Certainly the number of American engineers temporarily working in Australia during the boom would suggest it was not difficult.

4. Bellthorpe

Please read more carefully

The new rule clarification does *not* mean what this article says. It clarifies what already happens - that E-3 visa holders can work without separate authorisation. And it simplifies the renewal process. It does not allow Australians to obtain a visa without the employer getting an LCA. In fact, it does not mention LCAs at all.

5. rtb61

EH, no. Quite simply the US is quietly trying to drive a greater population exchange between the US and Australia because of this http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Nuclear-fuel-cycle/Uranium-Resources/Supply-of-Uranium/ and of course because of tens of thousands of kilometres of undeveloped beach front which will tolerate becoming underwater front much more readily (I mean to say, who wants to holiday at a tropical location high rise structures collapsing and leaving rubble all over the place or ghostly shells still standing, habitats of fish on the lowest level and the homeless on higher levels.

Odd thing happens in this, right wing Australians tend to drift to the US and left wing Americans tend to drift to Australia (right wingers also come from the US to Australia but if you dig into things, you find they leave after a while, they dislike being snubbed for demanding young Australians should get paid less and that being an overt bible basher demanded everyone worship their way also receives short shrift).

Overall this is still a major push for population exchange, not so much from the Australian government perspective but very, very much so from the US government perspective.

6. Alan Brown Silver badge

"being an overt bible basher demanded everyone worship their way also receives short shrift"

Bring an overt in-your-face bible basher in Australia may result in someone deciding that your face is the part that needs bashing - especially if you don't take it out of their face.

Australians are remarkably tolerant for the most part but trying to jam religion down anyone's throat after being told to stop is a fast way of ending up bruised.

FWIW, various religious groups have trumpeted church-attending christianity rates of around 30% in Australia and New Zealand but digging a little further into their "stats" finds that weddings/funerals/christenings and other "social" events are all counted for an attendance requirement of twice a year (as are easter/christmas services) - The real figure is probably lower than 5%.

IE: Australia & NZ are a couple of those almost completely secular "atheist hellholes" the religious nutters rave about and they like it that way. The general population also don't like it when people refuse to integrate with the greater population and will take steps to try and ensure they do.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like