back to article Amazon now renting cloudy desktops for $0.22 an hour

Amazon Web Services' “Workspaces” desktop-as-a-service offering can now be paid for by the hour. Workspaces are a cut of Windows Server 2008 with a Windows 7 skin and are consumed with a custom client application. Until today, the service was sold by the month for a fixed price that included storage. That's now called the “ …

1. Doogie Howser MD

Difficult to see AWS winning on this one

Simply because Microsoft owns the desktop OS (in all but a name). On this basis, you'd expect Azure to have a much more flexible and cost effective solution simply because they can. AWS will always be subject to more stringent licencing constraints, or so you'd assume.

I wonder if MS will jump into bed with Citrix for desktops too?

1. gregthecanuck

Re: Difficult to see AWS winning on this one

They are working with Citrix right now - did you miss the announcement? Or else I missed your sarcastic tone?

Register article here

1. Doogie Howser MD

As I understand it, that's just dropping in XenApp "Express" (AKA Crippled Mode, no doubt) to replace RemoteApp for application delivery. I was referring to Microsoft using XenDesktop for VDI in the cloud.

2. mister_kleen

If you are looking for a bit more power at an even lower price checkout Paperspace (www.paperspace.com). All plans come standard with a GPU and your virtual desktop can be accessed through a web browser -- no install or plugin necessary.

2. Baldy50

UMMMM!

No Linux client!

1. keithpeter Silver badge
      Windows

Re: UMMMM!

@ Baldy50: Any desktop client that can run a Linux distro will probably be able to run a *version* of ChromeOS using the neverware iso...

https://www.neverware.com/

...but then that would be even more licencing costs for a company.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with the strangely named neverware. I just think it is very neat.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like