back to article Snowden says Russia ‘probably responsible’ for NSA hack

NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden reckons Russia is the most likely suspect behind the leak of advanced hacking tools allegedly stolen from an elite NSA hacking unit. He postulates a complex motive for the leak involving gaining diplomatic leverage that wouldn’t look out of place in a modern retelling of a John le Carré novel. …

1. m0rt

He carries on biting the hand that is currently feeding him, he may end up the Assange™ position...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Big Brother

Or suffer from a very acute case of Polonium poisoning...

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

very acute case of Polonium poisoning...

Is there a non-acute case of Polomium poisoning?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: very acute case of Polonium poisoning...

Yes it becomes obtuse when administered by an idiot.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Twatt Byrant?

;)

2. elDog

The homeopathic variety could dilute the Po to an insignificant amount so the targeted individual _might_ survive. Of course the administering homeopath would poison him/herself in the process but that wouldn't be a big loss.

Two reputable sources:

http://vitals.lifehacker.com/what-homeopathy-is-and-why-its-useless-1795694290

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@m0rt

"He carries on biting the hand that is currently feeding him"

The real question: is he?

Don't assume that someones motivations (or intentions) are always negative when they're spreading negative (or critical) comments. I can easily turn this around: this could also show you the superiority of Mother Russia over the NSA, and I doubt that premier Poetin couldn't be flattered with that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @m0rt

So long as Snowden doesn't directly attack Putin in a personal way I'll bet Putin considers granting Snowden asylum from the big bad US who wants to charge him with treason to more than make up for any criticism of Russia and its actions (though I agree, this 'criticism' can also be taken as a compliment, depending on how you look at it)

3. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: m0rt

"He carries on biting the hand that is currently feeding him...." Nah, he's just trying to drum up some more business (I'm guessing the FSB pension hasn't kicked in yet). And trusting Snowjob to impartially discuss the spooks is a bit like trusting Shrillary to be honest about Wall Street!

1. Shades
        Facepalm

Re: m0rt

"Snowjob [...] Shrillary"

Isn't it about time you grew up Twatt?

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: m0rt

Children, enough.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge

Re: Shades Re: m0rt

Feeling the Bern or just not liking the fact your "hero" is making a living off his treachery? LOL, so funny how exposing some simple facts gets you lot so worked up and frothing!

1. Shades

Re: Shades m0rt

"Children, enough."

But he started it sir!

"Feeling the Bern or just not liking the fact your "hero" is making a living off his treachery? LOL, so funny how exposing some simple facts gets you lot so worked up and frothing!"

You've completely lost the plot Twatt. I was simply mocking your incessant and increasingly pathetic little names, how you extrapolated all that from my post is a mystery that not even Hawking (or as you'd probably call him Dorking) would be able to fathom.

Sometimes, just sometimes, you make very good points Twatt, but then you go and ruin it all with your pathetic name calling, little jibes and other such nonsense. As I said before, isn't it about time you grew up and actually had an adult discussion instead of more often than not invalidating your own arguments, not because they may be wrong, but by mere virtue of expressing yourself like a Grade-A mod edit, no C-word on El Reg?

mod edit - no, really, children, drop it.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
              Devil

Re: Shades

And some especially for al the "deep thinkers" (best you don't look at these, Shades, you'll just end up even more confused than you seem to be now):

https://youtu.be/CsxXty6vEBA

https://youtu.be/99JdDgglMuA

https://youtu.be/C0SnIgOwZ3A

1. Shades

Re: Shades

Confused about what? The only one confused here is you... I'm from the UK you country of birth misidentifying moron, I couldn't care less what you post about Hillary or anyone else. Again, how you've extrapolated that I would be a supporter of Clinton shall forever remain a mystery to those of us capable of rational thought.

To whomever is modding this thread: Please stop editing my posts and claiming that the word "cunt" isn't allowed on El Reg; 1460 un-modded uses of "cunt" at forums.theregister.co.uk would disagree with you.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
                  Happy

Re: Shades Re: Shades

"Confused about what?...." Well, going by your posts, there's a lot of material to cover there! Unfortunately, El Mod didn't like my post poking fun at US institutions paying Snowjob for "speaking", so you only saw the bit taking the Mick out of Clinton supporters, but what you are confused about is that I am not specifically mocking Clinton supporters but all unquestioning, blind faith supporters. You were too busy frothing to realise I was poking fun at your blind, unquestioning faith in Snowjob. Maybe you'd recognize that trait in yourself more in this clip? Poking fun at Snowjob is even easier when he makes hypocritical statements about "I don't want to live in a society that does these sort of things" when he hides in Russia, where Putin is a totalitarian dictator in all but title. Yeah, I can see why you might be upset at anyone daring to make fun of your "hero".

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
                  Happy

Re: Shades Re: Shades

"....I'm from the UK ...." True, Hillary Clinton just makes it too easy to poke fun, but maybe an example of similar behavior in the UK might actually be of interest? Not interested in rabble-rousing politicians? OK, I'm betting from your Snowjob luv that this will make you froth some more (hey, and no-one mention Sweden and "extradition"!). Enjoy!

2. Hollerithevo

How is this news bad for Russia?

Russia is happy to be the home of smart hackers, spy, tough guys who get one over on the dolts in the West. So why would they find this news from Snowden anything but a bragging point?

3. Alistair
    Windows

umm. Mr Leyden; you *do* realize Mr Cornwell is *still* writing do you not?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Indeed he is, and you can sense his anger. Rather than a retelling of a Le Carre novel, this shenanigans could be from the pages of one of his recent books, such as 'A Most Delicate Truth'

1. Alistair
        Pint

@Dave126

Both the wife and I are heavy readers. Ended up in (local instance of overpriced global book warehouse) the other day. Picked up his latest and lost almost two hours, just previewing.

The wife loved it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I blame the Asari.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Asari? Weren't they the bad guys in Twilight?

1. Shades

I think its a Japanese lager?

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Alien

The blue tentacle heads from Mass Effect?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah, Mass Effect. It's what The Shadow Broker is a reference to.

1. phuzz Silver badge
          Facepalm

Ahhhhh, I'd not twigged that before.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NSA Hack - Really?

@TheRegister - Even in your own linked article you assert:

"The breach, if Kaspersky's analysis is correct, does not mean the NSA has been hacked or compromised in a traditional sense."

I guess you could not resist the sensationalized headline on a quiet IT news day maybe. In other news we have won lots of medals in the Olympics!

CC

6. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Elite NSA hacking tools

Is it just me or does anyone else suspect we're being subjected to an elaborate hoax. I mean just who in their right mind keeps 'hacking tools' exposed to the Internet.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Elite NSA hacking tools

If it was the NSA, they can hardly have their 'hacking tools' hosted at www.nsa.gov/scr1ptz can they?

It looks like this server was a sort of 'forward operating base', where someone could hack someone else, without it being easy to trace back.

The server was probably supposed to be wiped, but someone must have forgotten/screwed up, showing that the NSA (or whoever) has fallible sysadmins just like everywhere else.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Elite NSA hacking tools

"If it was the NSA, they can hardly have their 'hacking tools' hosted at www.nsa.gov/scr1ptz can they?"

NSA dude: " Sure we can put them on the interwebs. Just use a noindex meta tag to stop Google finding them. Job done!"

(Anon because the black helicopters frighten the chickens and then I don't get fresh eggs for breakfast. That's not something I want to experience again. )

7. Danny 2

“warning that someone can prove US responsibility for any attacks that originated from this malware server”. “This may be an effort to influence the calculus of decision-makers wondering how sharply to respond to the DNC hacks,”
    Is he implying the DNC was hacked from the NSA malware servers?

1. Rainer

> Is he implying the DNC was hacked from the NSA malware servers?

No, but what he's saying is that the NSA also still has a few corpses in the closet that the public isn't quite aware about.

Just as the US is pretty sure about the origin of probably most the more public hacking-cases, Russia likewise has a good understanding of the cases where NSA is involved (and their involvement with Unit 8200 in Israel or with GCHQ etc).

So, what FSB is saying is "Tovaritch, let's turn it down a little with the tweets denouncing Russian involvement in the DNC hack. Before somebody says something that they'll regret the next day."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like