back to article Hyper-converged top-of-the-pops list is out: Guess who hasn't crushed it?

Surprise, surprise: EMC is not top of the hyper-converged charts … yet. Forrester’s Hyper-converged Infrastructure (HCI) Wave report for 2016’s third quarter looks at the top dozen HCI suppliers and rates them into four categories – leaders, strong performers, contenders and challengers. A square sectioned into four quarter- …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where do they get their data?

As a heavy user and with some very specific experience in this field I can say a lot of this is bunk. Sometimes I wonder where these analysts get their information from - is it related to number of beers bought?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Where do they get their data?

They get their numbers from product marketing departments.

They do Guided Demo's by technical marketing (They don't deploy anything or do a tear down)

They talk to cherry picked customers.

Beyond that smack talk on twitter might be their 4th source.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That sounds about right. I still can't see Pivot 3 at the same level as others.

maybe they use another metric related to analyst research?

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Exactly what about that is bunk? Other the part where Scale got shafted - they deserve a much better rating, especially with the advent of their hybrid nodes - Forrest don't seem too off the mark there. I might move the companies around a little, but probably less than 10% deviation on any one except Scale.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Makes sense if they are targeting small IT. As a reseller, I haven't felt that Scale/Pivot3 have done a good job explaining why their wares are better for larger deployments. I would for one like to see the analysis behind the positioning in more detail. Time to call my rep.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

These lists are odd....

Cisco's success in Whiptail (and in making sure it didn't corrupt data!) means that I have high hopes for their OEM deal to have flawless execution....

3. Jim Preis
    Trollface

VMware, Cisco and EMC Should get together

VMware, Cisco and EMC Should get together and form a JV. Imagine the power they'd wield and success they'd... Wait a minute...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Absolute horseshit report

This has to be one of the most flawed market reports in history.

Absolutey no way Pivot 3 and Simplivity are this close to Nutanix.

With well over 3000 customers and tens of thousands of nodes shipped, you wonder how Forrester could be so blind.

Everything regarding Nutanix could be simply pulled from the public S2 filing.

5. Esteban

VSAN?

How is VSAN in the same category as all these other products? VSAN is just SDS, not hyperconvergence. You need VSAN as a component for VxRail, but in and of itself it isn't HCI.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like