back to article Watt the USB-C logo?

The USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) has created a new logo for chargers. There it is, under this paragraph. Certified USB Charger Compliance and Logo Program The new Certified USB Charger Compliance and Logo Program is designed to give consumers confidence that chargers won't fry their USB-C hardware. Certified Logos will …

1. Oengus

Who buys chargers?

that they buy fewer chargers.

Don't the chargers come with the devices you buy. I haven't bought a USB charger ever. Every device nowadays seems to come with one prepackaged. Cables on the other hand...

1. Schultz

Re: Who buys chargers?

Well, it might help you to decide whether you want to charge your phone with the tablet charger, the tablet with the power supply of the little fan that looked so cute in the store,...

I have a good number of chargers in different locations and usually plug whatever device in my hand into the nearest charger. My understanding is that this behavior might be quite dangerous with the new USB standard.

2. short

Wasn't part of the plan to standardise on micro-USB (hah!) to stop shipping chargers with things?

Handy for manufacturers, as 'eco goodness' looks a lot like avoiding having to ship an annoying extra product that needs a boatload of approvals and means that boxed products aren't global, with the localised mains plugs.

If USB-C does become a standard, I'd expect this to start up again.

If some connector manufacturer would be kind enough to make a USB-C socket with a reduced pin count, that's actually possible to use on a cheap 2-layer board, that would be great. At the moment, there are a load of tiny pins that just get in the way, and are no use if all you want is USB2 functionality.

</rant>

3. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

I've got two of the 5-Port ones on my bedside table. To keep all the gadgets charged.

But yes, there's a pile of OEM chargers being ignored.

2. Sebastian A

Well thankfully there's no way some unscrupulous manufacturer of nasty knockoffs will take this logo and apply it to their kit. None at all.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
  3. Shades
    FAIL

"Designed to give consumers confidence"

Really? Even taking into account that the image has been enlarged for the article it still looks like a Chinese knock-off version of a logo that they couldn't find the right typeface for.

It inspires about as much confidence as I had when I saw the "OEM" replacement screen for my HTC One M8 that was delivered yesterday morning... I ended up ordering a HTC 10 later that afternoon.

4. dan1980

Why am I reminded of this?

5. short

Suspiciously contains a number

After years of FullSpeed, HighSpeed, SuperSpeed BS, what the hell is that 45W doing there, confusing the customer with actual specs?

There's plenty of space for subtly different size or colour spark logos, or ambiguously sized windmills to maintain the confusion we've come to know and love.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Suspiciously contains a number

Ambiguously sized windmills for me, please!

6. Captain Scarlet

USB-C logo

where is the -C in the logo?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: USB-C logo

Don't worry, that'll be next to it along with the USB 3.1 logo.

Why does the USB standards body have this uncanny knack of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory every time?

7. nijam Silver badge

Surely voltage is a more important parameter that wattage, if you're worried about destroying phones, laptops, etc?

1. short

They negotiate, and only kick up the higher voltages if sane.

The logo may be toss, but USB-C has a fair amount of charm. It's a bit annoying to implement at the moment, but should get easier. It could well become the one true connector, like micro-USB so abjectly failed to do.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Meh

At least SCART only had one connector. USB has loads, and now with USB-C loads of different things going (or not going) down the wires.

1. JeffyPoooh
          Pint

USB Connectors

'The nice thing about Standards, is that there's so many from which to choose.'

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

And now I just pictured an iPhone with a SCART connector in my mind.

8. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

45 watts !!!

It's official.

It is now possible to power a car headlight (the modern 30-45w HID or LED technology, not quite the older 55w halogen) from a USB socket. Voltage might need a tweak, but the power is there.

USB -> Car headlight.

Crazy.

1. Fuzz

Re: 45 watts !!!

USB-C can go up to 100W using 20V, if it's done right it should replace everything. Media streamers plugged into TVs getting power from the TV whilst sending video over the DP connection the other way. Phone running out of charge, plug it into a another phone or a tablet to get some power. Your laptop charger can charge your phone with the same cable. Your PC powers your monitor over cable used for video which also carries USB for the USB hub.

At the moment it's just a mess I have some HP tablets at work, they will only charge using the provided USB-C charger, everything else is unsupported.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon