back to article DIY bank account raiding trojan kit touted in dark web dive bars

Cybercrooks are touting a new DIY financial crime kit that lets you roll your own ZeuS-like software nasty. The Scylex malware kit can be used to build malicious code that, once running on a victim's Windows PC, snoops on online banking passwords, intercepts web traffic and opens a backdoor granting full control over the …

1. Baldy50

So if can be purchased and studied, why isn't someone like the producers of Flame, Stuxnet and govs getting on the band wagon and produce their own exploits with credible claims of the ability to compromise systems, steal data, passwords, compromise EPOS and banking systems etc?

Put their own malware nasty with a cryptic name on the same sites these turds use and when one of these crooks purchases it and deploys it the only thing it does is compromise their system and reports back who and where he or she is, make dozens of them use similar names to exploits that are already in use.

Get paid by the bad guys as a bonus!

1. Aodhhan

You mean, why isn't the US Gov't getting into the hackware business in the same manner as when they took over the original TOR network?

...what makes you think they don't have a dog in this fight?

There is a lot of malicious tools available on the darknet. This one offers a lot of things all rolled into one, and is getting media attention.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why aren't our various national police and spy agencies setting up buying and selling stings?

Why aren't our various national police agencies setting up buying and selling stings?

How hard can it be for them to hide one of the many kinds beacon in something and sell it to a crook?

Likewise with offerings that include support. How hard can it be?

Especially when we've got the Five Eyes government agencies capturing a substantial portion of domestic and international, plus 100% of intercontinental internet traffic.

I mean, take a break from surveying the sex chats of the world's teenage daughters and start fighting crime and the terrorism it often funds. I do not doubt that as individuals most of you would probably prefer to tacking something both useful to society and doable.

(Anonymous not to hide from the spy agencies -- that cannot be done. But so my friends won't know I'm stupid enough to speak politically about said agencies failure to protect us against even those things that, with their resources, they can fairly easily protect against.)

1. Adam JC

Re: Why aren't our various national police and spy agencies setting up buying and selling stings?

This is purely a guess, but I'd say the kinds of people advocating and selling these kinds of 'software bundles', if you will, are quite 'well known' in the underground scene and therefore considered 'trusted' (I use the term loosely!). If a new user with no reputation popped up offering an all singing all dancing piece of malware and nobody had ever heard of them before, the chances of miscreants dismissing it as a sting would be fairly high. As I say, just a thought!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why aren't our various national police and spy agencies setting up buying and selling stings?

The word you are looking for is entrapment.

Plus if you start peddling malware, you yourself are committing an offence. It all gets very murky.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like