back to article AOL phisher jailed for 7 years

A Connecticut man was sentenced to seven years in prison on Wednesday for masterminding a phishing scam targeting AOL members. Michael Dolan, 24 and of West Haven, Connecticut, was also ordered to serve three years' probation after his release. Dolan pleaded guilty to fraud and aggravated identity theft offences last year as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gordon Pryra

He put in a lot of work for very little gain

I think there were 4 in the gang, so thats $25k a year each

hardly worth 4 months in jail let alone 7 years.....

If your going to do it, you may as well do it properly

2. Mike Flugennock
    Coat

Hoorah! But, still, phishing at AOL...

...is kinda' like -- well, shooting phish in a barrel, isn't it?

3. Tim
    Paris Hilton

Anyone can do it.

The reason is aol customers are so computer illiterate you could ask them just about anything and they would probably do it. Imagine, send us your computer and we'll update the aol software on it for only £30.

Paris 'cos she shares her IQ score with an average aol customer.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

"Trojan horse malware"?

That's, what, a program file that claims to be a virus but when you run it it turns out to secretly do something actually useful like a spreadsheet or a word-processor, yeh?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

AOL REFUSED TO ASSIST

The best thing is I heard that AOL was asked to help and they refused. Could have stopped a lot of this from happening.

6. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects
    Happy

@"Trojan horse malware"?

OOKSMELL you mean?

7. Tony Paulazzo

A local phone call

would probably have stopped most of them being deceived I was thinking, but if AOL truly refused to help catch these guys then they probably didn't give an fsck about their customers - sharing the wealth?

8. Simon B

Name says it all

They're not called AOHELL for nothing!

9. Doug Lynn

If your going to do it, you may as well do it properly

Nothing proper about credit card phishing, identity theft, etc. Throw the book at them...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like