back to article Seagate's flash advice: Don't buy the foundry when you can get the chips for cheap

As well as launching several new flash products, Seagate revealed the four pillars of its flash product strategy at the August 9-11 Flash Memory Summit in Santa Clara. These were: Foundry independence Essential IP for system-wide use of flash Portfolio expansion Top-level cloud supplier Let's have a waltz around the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Cautionary Example

Getting Flash from various firms with which it had a "relationship" was what killed OCZ as it was the poster child for poor products. I never had a single failure with OCZ here, and I did buy serious quantities. Just wanted to put that out there. Not that Seagate exactly has a great rep in the hard disk market these days either, and yes, bought a lot of that too, no problems.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Nice strategy summation

The ARM of storage?

3. Mpeler
    Paris Hilton

chips?

That ain't workin' that's the way you do it

Money for nothin' and your chips for free.

(Apologies to Dire Straits,,,,,)

4. DeepStorage

Good to buy in a buyer's market, when there's a shortage...

Given that flash demand has failed to materialize as fast as expected, and that the increase in capacity from 3D is just coming to market Seagate will be in the drivers seat with the flash foundries for the next 18-30 months. However when demand catches up to supply and the next shortage hits I'd rather be WD with assured supply via partner Toshiba than Seagate chasing Micron and SK while Samsung and Intel take all the spare chips for in-house SSDs.

I know you were joking but the Kinitic SSD is very interesting. Remember XtremIO and SolidFire have an object back end, 60TB SSDs as Key-value stores could be interesting.

- Howard

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good to buy in a buyer's market, when there's a shortage...

Yep fabless and foundries are great until demand skyrockets say coming out of a recession and big boys like Apple get to cut ahead of you in line against your products. That said as mature as the semiconductor industry is these days with low single digit growth we may never see what happened after the Great recession occur again.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like