back to article Tableau 10 is generally available, complete with visual tweaks

Tableau 10 is now generally available, upping the data visualisation business' wares to please existing customers and bring in some new ones. Fresh off the bat from reporting its overly successful Q2 results earlier this month, Tableau has released version 10 of its data visualisation product. Tableau 10 is arriving with some …

1. asdf

a monospace kind of guy

I am sure the font is amazing or whatever but I usually find there is only one font I end up eventually bringing into virtually every computer or vm I touch and that is terminus. Yes its monospace, yes its 1980s old school and looks like it was from the movie Wargames but damned if it isn't the one I can't do without because it looks good both with or without antialiasing and very readable both in a terminal or an IDE. Props also to the FreeSerif FreeSans family as well.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

I somehow always end up going back to Courier New...

1. asdf

Yeah I do use Courier New for Geany for Windows. Really is nice for log file viewing. Courier New doesn't translate as well on *nix to me but is still a very good baseline font to have regardless of platform.

2. Martin an gof Silver badge
      Happy

While I can still read 9-pin dot-matrix printouts of source code faster than anything else, at work my boss's boss who is a big typography fan and once overheard me discussing the differences between Arial and Helvetica with a non-plussed colleague, before bad-mouthing Comic Sans, has kindly bought me a copy of Doves Type and now expects everything I write for him in this rather beautiful but slightly quirky (in a 19th Century kind of way) font.

It is amazing how not having access to an italic variant of your body font really concentrates the mind on what you are trying to communicate.

M.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Comic Sans is a lot like nuclear power - not a bad thing per se, but if you use it wrong the effects can be devastating.

As we're on the subject of fonts, take a look at this. Looks like there are fontspotters - but then, why not?

1. asdf

Didn't really pay much attention to fonts (art and design are two things have little interest or skill at) until I started farting around with all kinds of OSs in VMs. Linux distros these days like Windows and MacOS X (their terminal font aside) has so good of default choices that its nearly invisible unless you are a font nerd. Running FF as your daily driver on a Solaris VM with Gnome 2 as the WM not so much. Becomes a necessity to play around to find what is tolerable.

2. Martin an gof Silver badge

@allthecool...

Oh boy, that shirt, I can think of half a dozen people I could buy that for right now. Where's my list of birthdays?

M.

3. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

They made their own custom font. No, really.

I've created dozens of fonts, but I've limited my work to just the period (".") character. Dozens and dozens of versions of small, circular, black dots. They're all copyrighted, patented and trademark registered.

Now the lawsuits begin.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like