back to article US.gov to open-source made-to-order software, allow contributions

United States chief information officer Tony Scott and chief acquisition officer Anne E Rung have issued a joint memo decreeing that henceforth all government agencies need to consider open-sourcing any bespoke software they commission. The memo (PDF), issued on Monday, notes some code-sharing across government but says it is …

1. Baldy50

Good!

Someone has pointed out that this gives a far greater deal of transparency to any bespoke programs they commission and use?

Hey I'm all for it, can be checked for exploits and buggy coding, unlike the software used for the recent Australian election.

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2016/06/14/buggy_votecounting_software_borks_election/#c_2892954

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: Good!

I can raise you one on voting ..

Vulnerabilities in electronic voting are actually very, VERY old news (think 30+ years) with a surprisingly aggressive resistance to any openness. If you look at the work that people like Dr Rebecca Mercuri have done on the topic you can only conclude that no government actually wants a trustworthy election process..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

At least Australia and most other countries decide how elections at run at the federal level, so if they decide to do better they can make it happen. In the US, the federal government has almost no control of how elections are held. The states have some control, but a lot of it rests at the local level.

Improvements are pretty much impossible in the US, because the federal control that would be required to make it happen would guarantee that the republicans would be against it, no matter how well intentioned, as it would be seen as a power grab by the Feds and against states' rights.

In a way it is a good thing having so many islands of control - it would be almost impossible for a political party that gains power in Washington to compromise the elections to guarantee their re-election and control, as happens in so many other countries. While you can have a party essentially own the election process in a city (see Chicago's "Daley Machine") or even a state (see Louisiana in the Huey Long era) there's a higher level authority that can undo the damage, eventually. You'd need to control the dozen largest states to insure your party holds the White House on an ongoing basis (obviously one state would be enough in a very tight election but you don't always get those) You'd need a lot more than that to guarantee holding congress.

The real worry here is that since there are only a few vendors of electronic voting machines, and they are used in many jurisdictions across the country, it could be possible to use them (either as an insider or a hacker) to swing an election. Especially if they don't leave a paper trail. Though I have to wonder if for example it was shown that Trump won votes tabulated by Diebold machines by 58-42% and Clinton won the rest of the votes by 53-47%, what would happen? If no evidence survived, what would statistical "proof" of fraud do? There was a lot of bitterness over the 2000 recount debacle, and that wasn't so much fraud as incompetence.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Though I have to wonder if for example it was shown that Trump won votes tabulated by Diebold machines by 58-42% and Clinton won the rest of the votes by 53-47%, what would happen?

That was actually the problem with Trump's original status when he was well ahead of everyone else - a vote at that point could not be rigged without questions. It's much easier when the candidates are neck and neck because then it won't be visible when the data is skewed to prefer one candidate over the other so now he's sunk in the polls it'll be easier to "adjust" the results without awkward questions.

Some people say that that actually happened with Bush. Man of the Year may very well have been a covert documentary...

2. James Hughes 1

Not just code transparency for security etc

The initial OS release of the code should also be more robust. If someone knows that the software they are writing is going to be OSS, I would hope they spend a little more time actually make it work correctly and be properly documented. If you know your code is going to remain hidden from prying eyes, there is little peer pressure to actually do it properly.

Of course, my hopes could be misfounded.

1. Vic

Re: Not just code transparency for security etc

If someone knows that the software they are writing is going to be OSS, I would hope they spend a little more time actually make it work correctly and be properly documented

Code is like underwear; if you're going to display it to other people, you really want it to be clean...

Vic.

3. Erik4872

Interesting

I wonder how this will affect code quality. Most software written by the usual suspects (Accenture, Infosys, etc.) whether for private companies or for government, isn't exactly stuff that holds up well to public scrutiny. My experience in doing systems integration work has been that they do the absolute bare minimum to get their code to run and not crash under the laughably inadequate QA standard tests. (I think that's what they mean when they say "the needful." :-) )

As for open source, I've always wondered about that not being a developer. How is it possible to _not_ use an open source library, routine or anything else these days, especially doing stuff like web development? I'm sure there's lots of open source stuff buried in closed code. Web front ends these days are practically snapping strangely-named open source framework Legos together in a configuration that does what you want.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Interesting

They are almost certainly using some sort of open source libraries, especially given that .NET is now open source. However, there is nothing against making a "closed" source commercial solution under almost all open source licenses. Permissive licenses out right allow, and in some cases encourage it. Even the less permissive licenses could be moderately fine if it is for internal use only. That's why the AGPL license was created.

Plus, it isn't like legos. Libraries help out a lot, and remove repetitive tasks, but a lot of the code is going to be custom still.

4. Mike 16

Not like Legos

Indeed. Legos tend to interoperate quite well, and there is very little chance that adding a "Late September 2016" Lego to a structure made before that date will cause the whole thing to explode.

5. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Unintended consequences

What license exactly?

If you are hiring me as a contractor I grant you a permanent license to certain libraries/utilities/boilerplate I have written in the past. If you want me to open source that then I need compensating for writing it again or for the fact that I have lost my competitive advantage with other clients.

I can imagine "the usual suspects" billing the government for re-writing 100000s of lines of SAP/Oracle/etc boiler plate to be open sourced rather than giving away their in house code

1. choleric

Re: Unintended consequences

Can you also imagine the usual suspects not getting the contract for that very reason?

Of course it may not be something that happens all at once. It may be brick by brick as a functional collection of open source libraries are written for smaller projects, which can used as a foundation for the gimungous projects further down the line.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like