back to article Very peed off: Ohio urologists stay zipped after embarrassing leak

A medical group in Ohio has confirmed it was ransacked by miscreants who leaked hundreds of thousands of medical files, financial documents and patient records – but offered little else in the way of an explanation. The Central Ohio Urology Group told The Register it is still working with investigators and IT security experts …

1. Youngone Silver badge

Seriously?

The only reason El Reg posted that article was because of the fabulous headline wasn't it?

Go on, admit it.

Totally worth it by the way.

1. Swarthy

Re: Seriously?

And also to extract the urine from the commetariat.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Coat

I guess...

That was a wee problem?

3. Notas Badoff

Soothing explanations

"The Central Ohio Urology Group says it will take several weeks before its investigation will be complete and the full scope of the incident known."

Oh yeah, the "that stone will soon progress down the ureter all by itself, and we don't have to hurry things up..."

Said to the friend who'd already quite convinced them of the need for morphine due to the extreme pain involved (and which produces distinctive recognizable reactions because *every* nerve in your body is on fire!)

Shut 'em up, bliss 'em out, and stick 'em in a corner - they're too busy preparing the bill.

4. Mark 85

I do believe that it's time for a change... apologies by CEO's with the statement "we take your privacy seriously" should be followed publically by said CEO falling on his sword.. in public.

Ok, more seriously... there needs to be something (law? penalty?) that hits the C-suite types and the board hard when there's a breach. Something that says "lip service and weasel words aren't enough".

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

It's coming in EU land with big fines. Still can't persuade the board to take it seriously though. UK government seems keen, as ever, to sacrifice it's citizens on the alter of corporate greed by doing the bare minimum required but that won't stop other countries imposing the fines (with Bexit we'll lose the one-stop-shop principle so Belgium, for example, will be free to fine a London based company).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not sure how an EU company could find a Non-EU company for not implementing an EU law.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

> Not sure how an EU company could find a Non-EU company

Maybe not, but they can certainly fine them.. especially if they have an office in the EU and do business from that office.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Mark 85

Can I supply the swords?

5. Tim99 Silver badge
    Coat

Well,

I'd be seriously pissed.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lazy network security

Like peeing yourself in a dark suit.

You get a nice warm feeling.

And you hope nobody else will notice

- I. P. Daly

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a slow drip

What will be the downstream effects of this leak?

8. revdjenk

Feeling flushed

I don't know about you, but I'm relieved...

9. Michael Habel

Could these Puns, get any Blader?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

On a scale of one to ten, you're an eight.

10. Swarthy
    Unhappy

I try to keep my info secure

Companies I have to do business with (if you have kidney stones, you will be visiting a urologist) require and keep my info, and then fail on security.

I try to keep my info secure, but it feels like I'm pissing in the wind.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tino Valentino

The new Boaty McBoatface of security.

12. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge
    Trollface

"Our patients' health, safety and security is always our priority"

Right after our other priorities:

Money!

Share Price!

Money!

Cool cars and haircuts!

Money!

Pulling cool MOTAS with amazing chat-up lines featuring hilarious jokes based on urine!

Money!

Did I miss one?

1. BebopWeBop

Re: "Our patients' health, safety and security is always our priority"

You did. Money.

13. jimbo60

150GB?

So how does a urology practice 150GB of patient data? Even with many thousands of patients, that's a lot of data per each. An awful lot of it would have to be imaging of some sort, which they aren't going to use on all of their patients.

The stolen data that would be harmful to those affected would be a tiny fraction of that 150GB, namely all the personal information in text records.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: 150GB?

Some people might regard some of the stolen images as being harmful, e.g, maybe some show body parts not normally on view to general public, that's the sort of thing taht might get someone in a bit of a flap

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like