back to article Bee queens are Notch-blocking their minions, say boffins

Scientists have identified a molecular mechanism that explains how queen bees stop worker bees from laying eggs in order to keep bee society from entering the Apocalypse. Bees are eusocial animals. The different types of bees in a nest can be identified by distinct jobs each bee must perform. Queen bees are in charge of …

1. Hollerithevo

Well,it works for them

Hard to grouch when we get honey, but I certainly wouldn't want to live in a society like it. 'Crush eggs' indeed.

1. frank ly

Re: Well,it works for them

Your body has mechanisms with similar principles that prevent arms growing on your chest and teeth growing on your fingertips. For bees and other 'hive' insects, it's the entire hive that is the 'organism', not the individual insects.

The queen bee isn't 'in charge' of growing the hive's population, she is the reproductive function of the hive and she performs her function for the long term benefit of the hive organism.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't leave a half-filled COKE can lying around

'Queen bees release queen mandibular pheromone (QMP) to inhibit the fertility of worker bees. DAPT is a protein that switches off the Notch signalling pathway – a biological mechanism that turns the reproductive genes in the worker bees ovaries off.'

I believe Teresa May does the same thing!

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Glad I'm not a bee

The females are worked to death, while (at the end of the year) the males are stung to death.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Glad I'm not a bee

Drone bee: So baby, was it good for you?.....AAARGGHHH!!! I guess not!! I promise I'll cuddle more next time!!! Baby, I've been selfish, but I'll get us tickets for that ballet you wanted to see!!! ARRRGHHHH!!!!

4. BugabooSue
    WTF?

Human Breeders...

Hmm. Now all we need is a version of QMP to stop some of the human females that spit out 'children' in an attempt to convert all the planet's resources into their spawn so that they don't have to work for a living!

(My next-door neighbour's daughter is a case in point - 'worked' two months as a Trainee Hairdreser ten years ago - was given a flat by the local council after mum pretended to throw her out on her ear when she got pregnant the first time - now about to hatch Child Seven. Council just gave her a 5 bedroom semi-detached house. Upgraded from the 3 bedroom one she got three years ago. Not a bad deal. Must be starting her own hive!)

/rant

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dissecting a bee's ovaries?!

Can you even see them with the naked eye? Speaking as someone who feels pretty smug when I thread a needle on the first attempt, this seems like "Fantastic Voyage" tech.

6. Shaha Alam

"The fertility rating was scored on a number from zero to three. Zero indicated inactive reproductive activity in the ovaries, whilst three was for ovaries that contained fully developed eggs."

worst profile on dating site ever.

7. Forget It

Emily Dickinson

To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee,

One clover, and a bee.

And revery.

The revery alone will do,

If bees are few.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

8. John Robson Silver badge

Pretty sure ...

That the worker forage for nectar, pollen is just a hitchhiker from the flowers...

1. R.Moore

Re: Pretty sure ...

They forage for nectar (carbs), pollen (protein and trace elements), water and tree sap (aka propolis).

The pollen is there as a protein source to feed the larvae with and is essential for colony growth.

The propolis is used to plug any gaps ready for the colder months and to entomb any foreign object too large to kick out the front door (it has some antiseptic qualities as well).

I've found the occasional propolised mouse mummy in the spring if I haven't put mouse guards on the hives early enough.

9. You aint sin me, roit
    Coat

EU Social?

At least with Brexit we won't be ruled over by Queen!

1. AstroNutter

Re: EU Social?

I dunno. Being ruled over by a band might be more successfully that the various governments over the last 30 years or so.

10. R.Moore

Drones mate on the wing...

..not in colony nests/hives. They congregate in what are known as drone congregation areas, waiting for a queen to enter and will follow her (drones have large eyes to help with this) and die after mating.

The queen will mate with dozens of males during a single flight and the genetically diverse material she returns with contributes to the strength of the colony.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon