back to article Post-Brexit spending freeze in UK is real, says enterprise distie titan

Arrow Electronics Inc’s Enterprise tech division in Britain was struck by delayed spending among customers following the outcome of the EU Referendum, the distributor’s chief bean-counter claimed last night. CFO Chris Stansbury estimated “late purchases and weakening of accounts” after the 24 June vote “negatively impacted our …

1. Slx

This really isn't good for anyone.

I smell a global recession coming...

1. YARR
      Stop

What do you mean, this is great news for the environment.

Billions of pounds less IT waste will be produced as the life of perfectly-functional existing kit is extended. With rising prices, more consumers will only replace the kit they really need to.

The bad news is that the world economy is growing faster, resulting in more pollution, and environmental destruction to satisfy excessive material consumption.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/08/01/surging-world-growth-makes-a-mockery-of-brexit-panic/

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

A market hiccup

Gonna be one looooong hiccup.

3. Dr Paul Taylor
    Flame

How much rope

does new PM May intend to give the arch-buffoon and his two sidekicks before she deems them to have hanged themselves and reverses this national suicide pact?

1. Yes Me Silver badge
      Happy

Re: How much rope

I think she'd prefer Davis to crawl back from Brussels with the "news" that there's no deal to be made. And she's probably prepared to wait several months for that, even though everybody with half a brain already knows it, because when Davis says it, even the Daily Mail will have to take notice. (Of course, they'll distort it by blaming the EU for sticking to its founding principles, the ones that two Conservative prime ministers, Heath and Thatcher, solemnly committed us to.)

But just to be on the safe side, make sure you write to your MP telling him or her to vote down any attempt to trigger Article 50, whatever the whips say.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Uk_Gadget

We run out of toilet paper last week, this would not have happened pre-brexit!

1. kmac499

Was it a Brexit; 'Fear Factor' or the 'I'm so Happy I could ... ' that upped consumption over the planned resupply pipeline ??

6. lukewarmdog

oh dear

Six billion dollar company complains about a 40 million delayed payment.

Why is this news?

Oh wait.. blames Brexit.

Interesting to finally get a tech angle on this meme.

In other news Sainsburys said they're actually making more money since the Brexit vote.

Arrows and oranges.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Happy

Re: oh dear

"Six billion dollar company complains about a 40 million delayed payment."

A million here, a billion there, pretty soon, you're talking real money.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Happy

Re: lukewarmdog Re: oh dear

"....Oh wait.. blames Brexit...." I wonder how much of the "delayed payment" was the cut in Deutsche Bank orders? I'm not sure Deutsche Bank can get away with blaming all their woes on Brexit, though the Remainers will probably try.

3. Yes Me Silver badge

I think you mean Sainsburys are making more ££, but those ££ are worth considerably less in $$ or €€. I believe that Sainsburys actually import stuff from foreign parts, if you can believe such skulduggery.

4. Roland6 Silver badge

Well the article does throw unconnected financial figures around with gay abandon. However, it seems the UK operation has an annual turnover of circa 150m GBP, so 40m GBP of delayed orders will have an impact on the UK operations end of year figures.

The real question is what is Arrow Electronic Inc. going to do to help it's UK operation over this tough trading period. As this can make the difference between some things simply being delayed for a while and hence some temporary belt-tightening and the operation being downsized and people being laid off...

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Oop's overlooked the use of USD in the article for UK number (at least the article was consistent in using USD).

So the 40m USD, I suspect also takes account of the circa 15% reduction in the value of Sterling against the Dollar that has happened so far this year.

Given the UK's turnover is circa 150m GBP and using an initial exchange rate of 1.45USD=1GBP and a current rate of 1.3USD=1GBP, it would seem the actual reduction in UK sales is circa 14m GBP.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Talking down

There's a lot of "talking down" going on since the referendum vote. Too much of that and you end up with self-fulfilling prophecies.

From recent internal communications across our company, orders for kit are up on last year.

8. Terry 6 Silver badge

I dunno, but

I'd pretty much consider laying money on the chances that whatever nasties come out of that Brexit vote there will be plenty of people, not just El Reg commentards, who will find some way to explain that either; a.) It isn't really representative of what's happening and point to some company who seem to be doing OK (whether relevant or not), b.) It would have happened anyway or c.) It's those Remainers' fault for not being positive enough.

9. enormous c word

oh here we go again ....

I find there's a particularly snide level of hysterical arrogance from people who voted to remain in the EU and didnt get their way. They blame the (narrow) margin of the vote on protest votes or Northerners voting because they dont understand what they're doing. Guess what - that's democracy and everyone gets a vote - no-one's vote is more valuable or righteous than anyone else's.

...and BTW, no you can't just keep re-running the referendum until you get the result you want - that also isn't how democracy works. If you (exiteer/remainer) couldn't get your shit together and turn up on voting day then don't bother whingeing about it now - complacency isnt an excuse or evidence that your opinion is more valid.

Personally, I don't know anyone who regrets the way they voted (either way). Lots of nervousness about how things will progress and concern that those governing may not be up to the job.

Johnson gave appalling performances in the debates and the fact is that we voted to leave _in spite_ of his desperate wannabe Churchill-act. I'm astonished he's still in government let alone in his new role as foreign secretary.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like