back to article Crocodile well-done-dee: Downed Down Under chap roasted by exploding iPhone

An Australian chap says he suffered serious burns after he tumbled off his bike and his iPhone exploded. Gareth Clear, 36, of Bondi, Sydney, says he was cycling last week when he fell and landed directly on the Apple iThing in his back pocket. The handset's lithium-ion battery, apparently damaged by the prang, burst into …

1. Sebastian A

I do appreciate that he was emphatic about what caused it. Like he knows exactly what's going to happen once the media gets a whiff. I'm sure it won't stop some news outlets publishing sensationalist headlines line "iPhone firebomb injures cyclist!".

1. Oengus

There was a story, last night, on one of the shows famous for "beating up" an issue... They even went to the extent of cooking a phone on a hot plate for more than 10 minutes to get to explode.

They promoted it heavily (as expected) "Mobile phones: the potentially deadly devices we are all carrying in our pockets".

P.S. No I didn't watch it...

1. Winkypop Silver badge
        Trollface

Guilty!

I didn't watch the hyped-up trash either, but I heard at one point the phone put a hand over the camera and then ran off. (see title)

2. JassMan
    Coat

Phlogisticated phone phries pedalist

Sorry!

I'll get my coat as soon as I have phinished my pint.

1. DNTP

Re: Phlogisticated phone phries pedalist

Detonating Device Destroys Dundee Dude Dermis, Debridement Desired.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Phine, be that way.

1. DropBear
        Childcatcher

As a phull phellow of the phederation of phormer phone phreaks I phind this phiendish pharce prophoundly ophphensive and I... oh, phorget it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You're holding it wrong

Fireproof bags will be available in the iStore for $99 by the end of the week.

1. Flywheel

Re: You're holding it wrong

Along with a free iGraft voucher worth $50 !

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You're holding it wrong

Fireproof underwear (iWear?) might be more effective. All mobiles should include a warning: "Never go Commando!"

4. Captain DaFt

Li-ion, li-ion, pants on fire

Wouldn't "Li-ion, li-ion, pants a fryin'" be more alliterative?

1. Commswonk

Re: Li-ion, li-ion, pants on fire

Wouldn't "Li-ion, li-ion, pants a fryin'" be more alliterative?

No it wouldn't. It would have rhymed better; alliteration requires a longer run of words with the same initial letter (L) rather than p, a, & f.

</pedant>

5. Sebastian A

In the lycra, the skin-tight lycra, the li-ion burns tonight...

1. ecofeco Silver badge

You bastard! :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

♫continues♫

Backing singers: ♫ a-skin-away, a-skin-away, a-skin-away, a-skin-away♫

Lead vocal: ♫WhooooooOOOOOOOOOO OoooooohOoooooooohOoooooooo. The li-ion burns tonight♫

(Just in case there was anyone left who didn't have the earworm running)

2. PassiveSmoking

In his pocket, burns like a rocket, his butt-hole's singed tonight

6. Frank N. Stein

Would this have happened if that iPhone had been in a ruggedized case?

1. Cloud, what..... Sorry... Um... - you just made that up.

Nothing the battey would not have been pierced.

Its not really a news article, surely every knows that if you damage a L-ion battery it is likely to catch fire.

Sometimes I think phones on a plane are not a great idea.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Or, for that matter would not putting a very expensive, thin, non-bendy device into the pocket where it's most likely to deform anything put into it into a non-optimal bent shape be a good idea?

I've never really understood why people would put a phone into their back pocket. Apart from the likelihood of bending it and/or sitting on it, it's also the easiest for a pickpocket to access.

7. Grunchy Silver badge

I'm waiting for a Tesla (or other Li-ion powered car) to burn itself down.

I've heard it cannot happen, but if so I wonder why that tech cannot be implemented into a phone/tablet device to make it a little safer?

1. Andrew Hodgkinson

A few have

A few Telsa vehicles have already caught fire. Stories that pop up in Google include one that burned after an accident, one that burned in a garage while the owner claimed it was *not* plugged in, and one that burned in Norway while connected to a supercharger.

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Don't you watch those videos in your spare time?

A car has the advantage of being able to carry enough armor to direct the flames away from the passenger compartment. You have some time to get out before the whole car catches fire.

There are videos of Lamborghini Aventadors catching fire too. Some owners don't understand that the flaming tailpipe trick is a quarter megawatt of heat with nowhere good to go.

3. phuzz Silver badge
      Flame

"I've heard it cannot happen"

Not sure who told you that, but they're talking nonsense.

Possibly Tesla are claiming that their cars are less likely to burn than other cars, certainly they won't have to try hard to beat Ferarri.

8. Mike Moyle

Judging from the location of the burn, it seems like "Down-Under Chap Well-Done Down Under by..." might have been more appropriate, but maybe that's just me.

9. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

Obvious Risk

I never put a phone (or a wallet) in a back pocket, A phone is more likely to be in a shirt pocket, and if I'm doing anything at all energetic it's not going to be on my person at all.

1. Mark 85
      Flame

Re: Obvious Risk

At least is wasn't in a front pocket. A fall, a hard bounce, a misplaced kick by some irritated at you.... It would lend a whole new meaning to "well-cooked wienerschnitzel".

10. Ru'
    Facepalm

Obligatory "You're falling on it wrong" joke...

11. thomas k

Ouch!

Another reason to use a holster style case.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Ouch!

Another reason to avoid Lycra Mobile.

12. Commswonk
    Happy

Looking on the plus side...

iPhones could very well be the basis for a more or less instant barbie... small, neat, and no need for all that messy charcoal.

Other daft ideas may also be available.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Looking on the plus side...

Ah, yes, I remember the Charcoal Apple OS interface. After all, it's just a UI skin.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

13. itzman
    Coat

Trousers are lethal....

igmc

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Crikey!

The Jesus phone works in mysterious ways it seems.

15. earl grey
    Flame

so, a word to the wise

Keep flammable explodey things out of your pants..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like