back to article Chinese Android smartphone firm: It packs a dedicated crypto chip

Chinese smartphone manufacturer Gionee has released a device with a dedicated encryption chip it calls "equivalent to a black box" that offers the "most advanced" mobile data protection to date. Experts we asked were sceptical about the claims, which at minimum show that improved security is becoming a differentiator in the …

1. cmannett85

"The Gionee M6 has a 5.5-inch,1,920x1,080 resolution display..."

"The Gionee M6 Plus has a 2.0GHz octa-core processor, bigger 5.5-inch display..."

A 'bigger' display that's the same size?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Shhh.

You're tech, they're Marketing.

Not the same universe.

2. the spectacularly refined chap

Easily done, although in this case it's it probably a mistake. Manufacturers have been shrinking their displays while keeping them the same size for years by widening up the aspect ratio. The 23" widescreen monitor here certainly feels no bigger than the 19" 4:3 that preceded it.

2. Rich 2 Silver badge

Cool

"Equivalent to a black box"

That must be well up there as one of the vaguest specs EVER. Almost as vague as the totally useless MS "office" ISO spec.

1. Fibbles

Re: Cool

It has to be vague to protect industrial secrets. Can't have the competition finding out about their amazing triple ROT13 encryption algorithm.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I asked the company for more details about this "black box", but all they'd tell me is that it supposedly lets you ride on time.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sounds like Apple's secure enclave

i.e. basically a separate on chip computer running its own OS, that supports key storage, along with a dedicated encryption block to encrypt everything on the filesystem.

Apple publishes a 60 page iOS security guide that explains how theirs all works in great detail, so you can see where it protects you and where there is still room for improvement. Unless these guys do the same, you just have to trust that they got the software right. Given how hard it is to "get the software right" when it comes to encryption (just ask the openssl developers) just because it includes hardware support to do a better job than other Android phones doesn't mean it actually does.

Claiming security that's "equivalent to a black box" based on just promises is no better than being shipped a big black box from which growling sounds are heard that's labelled "not a tiger".

4. DropBear
      Trollface

"Equivalent to a black box"

GADZOOKS! IT HAS THE WHOLE INTERNET BUILT-IN?!?

3. Slx

Hmm, just what I want a mysterious black box to hold all my data..

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

I am sure I saw something like this before.

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

What does this mean?

It simply means that all your data gets encrypted and sent to the Chinese government spooks rather than to Alphabet (or maybe both)

1. Dabooka
      Black Helicopters

Re: What does this mean?

It certainly changes the whole concept of 'man in the middle' attacks, as now you bypass him totally and just send your data directly.

Very efficient!

5. Psylence

Specs compare for anyone interested

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8235&idPhone2=8234

6. tomban

Interesting specs

http://www.beeep.co/gionee-m6

"The M6's thickness is only 8.2mm and the M6 Plus is only 8.2mm. However, because of the tolerance of 0.2mm, not every M6 or M6 Plus is 8.2mm thick."

"1600 Megapixel + 800 Megapixel Camera Combination"

7. Danny 5

ehr....

A Chinese device that touts superior security? Are Chinese manufacturers allowed to create devices that their government theoretically cannot access? I think not.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If the battery life is true, im hoping they get chosen for the next nexus device after htc, i would love to see a nexus device with a 5000mAh cell, really miss my zero lemon cell in my S3.

9. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Nah, am highly skeptical myself.

Maybe El Reg can get hold of a demo unit or two and see if any attempt can be made at accessing encrypted data?

It should be really simple... one of the staff members should turn on encryption, and dump a shedload of Dabbsy/Simon/whatever articles onto the phone. Once that is done and finished, another staff member should "blag" the phone, and try to access the data contained thereon...

While that is done, the same should be done to other smartphones that boasts encryption and all that kind of bells and whistles... should be good to have a handy comparison between the various contenders on the market.

10. Rich 30

"M series is targeted at ‘People who work in the government"

I'm not sure the government will be wanting it's staff to be using Chinese owned, Chinese made mobiles containing sensitive data, even if they do have this encryption* chip

*data mining

11. NotBob

Am I the only one

still buying phones from my network operator? I've never even seen a phone offered from these guys...

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Am I the only one

Yes

Next Question?

2. Efros

Re: Am I the only one

No you're not, but not through choice. The only network available in this area (Central Maine USA) uses CDMA and those are a bit like rocking horse shit... rare. Even when you find one the operator then throws up barriers to actually getting the damn thing registered on their network, I just find it easier to outright buy a "previously owned" handset from the cellphone company so as not to be paying $750 over 2 years for one. One of the perils of living in a free market economy where everyone and their brother is either operating or striving to operate in a monopolistic manner.

12. Christian Berger

Same problem as with all the others

You either unlock your key stored in that chip with your pin, or you combine your pin and the key on the chip to create the key to access your data. In both cases you can trivially get around any security by just uncapping the chip, something that rivalling Pay-TV operators have done for years. Sure that'll cost you a couple of thousand Euros, but that's nothing for a larger criminal investigation. You simply cannot protect data from physical access, at least not for that kind of budget and with the comfort of not loosing it when your device thinks its manipulated. (or the battery is dead)

Plus of course for us in the west it doesn't matter if that device sends all its data to China. China has no juristiction over me. China cannot send me to prison easily, China simply cannot use this kind of information against me. Since western governments are skeptical of China, they won't cooperate with them to harm me personally. In contrast my government actively helps the US government to spy on everyone in my country.

1. Alistair
      Coat

Re: Same problem as with all the others

Christian:

All sentences in your second paragraph need to be prefaced with the string "At this moment in time".

I'll get me tinfoil hat.

13. JassMan
    Big Brother

To be really useful...

It should detect an incoming call from another the same and allow you to realtime encrypt your voice calls with a previously exchanged onetime pad. Unfortunately, if they sold that capability in China you would be disappeared very quickly.

14. Androgynous Cow Herd

Secure phones aimed at the govvernment

Should not have cameras in them.

15. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

Perfectly Described

A back box. i.e. you've no idea what's inside it.

16. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
    Trollface

Black box then? Should get Boeing and Airbus interested...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like